Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2023, 09:52 AM   #1

Ram 2500 SLT 4WD 4 down towing set up

Hi all,
I am new to having a diesel pusher and want to set my truck up to be towed. Based on the manual it will tow 4 down. The motorhome I'm getting is a 2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PAQ.

What are some recommendation for tow bars, base plate, and braking system?

As a side note: on the front bumper it has 2 metal plates with 2 holes each in them. I am assuming these are for tow hooks, but can I bolt an adaptor to it in place of a base plate. It' part of the frame.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2023, 12:59 PM   #2

As for tow bars, I suggest aluminum. Steel tow bars get heaver as we age.
If you have LED tail/stop lights on you RAM, then diodes on the wiring is OK. I prefer Bosh relays for the toad wiring. Diodes have 0.6-0.8 voltage drop.

As for braking, I still use a removable Brake Buddy. It's old school but so am I. GRIN Only you can make the braking choice that suits you.

Richard
Old 03-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #3

If you don't plan on doing all the installation and set up yourself, and if you're in Kent, you have one of the best places to have that kind of work done right there in Kent.

Torklift Central is a Roadmaster dealer and has one of the best reputations in the Puget Sound area (if not in the entire state) for towing, hitches, welding, etc. and are experts at toad set-up. They can advise you on tow bars, baseplates, supplemental braking, and wiring for lights.

And being the PNW, I'd strongly suggest Roadmaster equipment. They are in Vancouver WA (they started in Portland but are now in Vancouver) and it's nice to have them close by regardless of who you have install the equipment and especially if you're doing it yourself. They always welcome customers to drop in (or they used to ...I haven't been there for a few years now, however).

Torklift Central ---> website HERE

315 Central Ave N
Kent WA

(253) 854-1832

Google search page for Torklift Central

Roadmaster Inc. ---> website HERE

6110 NE 127th Ave.
Vancouver WA
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM   #4

^

I'm not certain about your question pertaining to using the tow hooks. I'm sure others can shed some light on that.

However, since baseplates are made for that application, I'm going to assume that's the way to go for doing things in a safe and logical manner. Assuming the tow hook idea isn't feasible, here are the baseplate kits for a 2017 Ram 2500:

If choosing Roadmaster baseplates, you'd need Kit #296-2:

Roadmaster 2017 RAM 2500 PICK-UP

Here are the installation instructions for the Roadmaster 296-2

If you choose to go with Blue Ox. their kit is BX1989:

BX1989 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500, 2003-2008 Baseplate

Here are the installation instructions for the Blue Ox BX1989

I didn't see a Demco application for baseplates but again, I'd recommend Roadmaster because of your location.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:53 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That's a heavy truck! I also tow a heavy truck, not quite as much as yours, but 6100 pounds.

I've towed six different vehicles through the years, five trucks and one Honda CRV. I ONLY use Roadmaster products as you never hear of any issues with them, and I believe they engineer the best base plates.

I use the Roadmaster Falcon 2 10K tow bar.

On my Monaco Diplomat and both of my Dutch Star DP's, I used the Air Force One braking system, now sold by Demco. It uses the air brakes on the coach to give you proportional braking. Your coach has a less powerful exhaust brake versus and engine brake and on the grades, you're going to need some good toad braking. My Diplomat had just an exhaust brake and when I towed my 4 door Silverado, you had to pay attention on steep downhills and start out at the top of the grade and a reasonably slow speed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:31 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I don't have a 2500, I do have a 1500 that I set up and installed all the towing "stuff" myself... Most likely, you will have to remove the bumper to properly install the baseplate. Its not a difficult job, just one that will take some time...

You will find that everyone has their own brands that they like and will recommend. I personally like the Demco brands of towing equipment (baseplate and Excalibar-3 Towbar). For the lighting, I used the Curt "plug-n-play" style wiring that plugs in between the truck's tail lights and wiring harness. For braking I use the RVI-3 brake box.

Here is what it looks like behind the bumper of my truck...

[IMG][/IMG]
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #7

^ Yeah, I'm sorry.

I didn't initially see a Demco application for baseplates for a 2017 Ram 2500 but unlike Roadmaster and Blue Ox, they have it alphabetically listed under "Dodge" so I missed it.

Here is the page for the Demco baseplates and they list a recommendation for a complete package for his setup if he chooses to go that route:

Demco 2003–2018 Dodge Ram 2500 & 3500 Pick-Up (2 & 4WD)

The main reason I recommended Roadmaster as it's a Pacific Northwest business located in Washington state and I was just going by his profile location as to why he may want to consider Roadmaster. Secondarily, I've only used Roadmaster products for that reason and they've been reliable for us through the years ...never a failure or hang-up. Plus, as I mentioned, their customer service was great during the years we used their products --even when visiting their facility in Vancouver Washington just outside of Portland Oregon. But yes, Demco and their family of products are very popular and used by many here on the forum.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:51 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for your input. I've decided to have the work done at Torklift Central near me (thanks Theroc for the recomendation). This is just too important to attempt myself.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:23 PM   #9

I tow a Ram 3500. I used a Roadmaster baseplate, did the install myself. It wasn't a bad install, no need to remove bumper. Use whatever brand you like, but don't buy less than a 10000 lb towbar.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing