Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ramp to enter a class A

My wife and I are having difficulty entering our motorhome. I built a plywood ramp for use at home, but need something lighter and portable for the road. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try doing a Google search for "motorhome entrance ramps" I got quite a few hits.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #3

Carolina Campers
I have seen hydraulic wheelchair ramps that fold up against the side of the RV. I don't know if that may be an option that is totally necessary for you at this time, but it may be an option that you could use as something that would be useful for now and years ahead.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Coach Lifts
Handicap Chair Lifts by Coach Lift | Mobility Lift Systems
Had one on my parents RV for years. Mom enjoyed not having to use the stairs.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

We put a Coach Lift on our MH. The style we chose was for a chair that our special needs kids transfer into. At the top, the chair swings into the MH from where we transfer the kids to the appropriate seats. If memory serve me, they also offer lifts that raise wheelchairs to the door opening. Our consideration was the width of the door, and our lift is narrow enough to swing through, but would not accommodate a wheelchair without modifications.

Now we have a newer MH and must get the lift transferred to the "new" one before we travel for the holidays.

Just for reference, I recently saw what I thought was a childrens' slide near a MH. Turns out it was a ramp assembly with a section that folded into a doorway when needed and a lower section that seemed to separate for storage. It looked to be very heavy, but sturdy. And it probably would take a trailer or at least a bumper mount to store it.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

How about a sheet of 1/2 to3/4" plexiglass. Light weight and waterproof. You could put in hinges to attach iit to the flpor and eyelets to attach it to a hpist for raising and lowering it. As a stroke survivor I've seen looking into ramps for my walker. I've got it down to aluminum or Plexiglas. Titanium is too expensive.

I can run a cable to each side and install eyelets or small pulleys in the doorway attah the cables to the ramp and a three or four horsepower electric motor and voila! A poweer ramp.

I could even set it up with spring a a garage door opener to operate with a remote.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #7

I'm also thinkingabout attaching steel L braces to the underside in a big X to prevent flexing.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have one of these for our dogs. Holds up to 400#'s and extends out to 7'.

Dog Ramps: Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp | DrsFosterSmith.com
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh, I like that ramp! For me AND the pugs.
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #10

There is one thing to consider with the "ramp" idea. If the OP has a class A or 5er, the inside floor height off the ground is significant. A 7-8' long ramp from RV floor to the ground would be extremely steep to navigate. Also, a ramp with a comfortable angle (not to mention handrails) would need to be long, heavy, and hard to store. Sorry to be a naysayer, just would not like anybody to buy something that would not work for them.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #11

We used a pair of wooden ramps years ago when our children were younger and their wheelchairs were much smaller than now. It was hard to push them up the 6 foot ramps, into our van. I'm sure 7 foot ramps would not work at all for our motorhome, and whatever length was used, pets might be ok, but humans would definitely need some sort of handrail. We still used our old wooden ramps, but only at a cabin we stay at in Gatlinburg, with only a two step rise.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #12

OSHA Regs. for a ramp length is one foot for each inch of rise. That seem like a lot but anything steeper is real hard to go up.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #13

I have arthritis in my knees and was having trouble with so many steps into our Class A. We purchased this aluminum ramp 8' ft Aluminum Multifold Wheelchair Scooter Mobility Ramp Portable 96" MF8 | eBay and modified it slightly. Still have to maneuver the inside step-ups, but that is do-able for me using the inside handrail. Plus, please note that while not terribly heavy, it still weighs nearly 50 pounds. Not terribly steep to walk up, but 10' would have probably been a little better choice. We store it in our toad when traveling and set it up once we arrive at our site.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #14

We have the same trouble. Do not like the outside retractable 2-steps.
Looking for a light weight ramp that has a porch that would have pins to attach to the side of an class "A" side entry RV. Needs to have adjustable legs on the outer corners of the porch & no more than 3' wide, with a railing on the right side looking up to the porch. elevation gain is 18". NO railing on side of porch from RV-out to allow for door swing.
Have something? Have a design?
BluewaveRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a