Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've been following these GPS posts with great interest and have come away with much confusion in my mind. The GPS units especially made for truckers and RVers seem to have lots of negative features or specially designed features such as campground search or RV friendly gas stations that just don't work as advertised. Features such as low bridges or unfriendly roadways are good features, especially when a large RV is towing a car. Screen size and resolution also seem to be a problem for some folks.

I have a Garmin Nuvi that we use in our cars and take with us on RV trips (unless I forget it). I like it because it helps us get on down the road. But, and I know that some will disagree, and may say that I'm old fashioned but I use the Big TL campground book to find RV parks and my trusty FMCA map book to plan my route and navigate the highways to our destination. And insofar as a GPS telling you where the RV friendly gas stations are, well you are not going to know if you can safely enter and exit a gas station unless you see it prior to entering.

But, I like my Nuvi and it certainly helps us when traveling and finding specific locations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman
I too love my Garmin. It's a good idea to email them and request a 7" RV model which I will do after this post. Maybe we should start a consumer movement .....
I agree, I like my Garmin and I would buy another one if it had a larger screen and design specifically for RV owners.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GPS for RVr's

With all the chatter about the negatives of the Rand McNally RVr's GPS, did everyone miss my reply about the Magellan 9165T?

RM7710 Only 5" screen

Magellan has a 7" screen

Magellan is LOADED with features and is as easy as pie to operate! Garmin has all those voices and accents to choose from, but I would rather have GPS features!

The Magellan also comes with an upgraded mounting bracket that actually STICKS to what you put it on! It is especially suited to mounting on the drivers side window. It has an extra long bracket that places the unit wihtin easy view and reach of the driver. It has "One Touch" destination buttons that are programmable to those places you visit most often.

It is also $399.99 list, but Magellan is offering 20% off and 'upgrade' which makes it only $320.

Check it out!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #46

Thanks for the Magellan info...I will take a look.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #47

I too will take a look at the Magellan Darry but I heard it is just a Truck GPS that is upgraded some for RV's. Can you enter your RV info? I heard not.

I love a GPS that does it all.

Garmin get with it.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #48

Just to let people know, the New Rand Mcnally 7710 has a 7" screen, not 5"

It Just came out Oct 1
Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #49

I'm curious about one other factor with the Rand McNally or Magellan units. Do you have the ability to enter whether or not you are towing a vehicle with you? It would seem like that would be an important feature, particularly in regards to fuel stops.

As a sidenote, the Garmin 465t does not distinguish an RV from a truck. As such you may end up getting alerts that you are on a highway that doesn't allow commercial traffic, but does allow RV's.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I am not sure if the 5510 uses a - or W for the Longitude but if you do not put the proper symbol in they you will end up 1/2 way around the world from where you expected to be
Today, I took the time, to look at my 5510 closer and found that it uses a - just before the "Longitude" is entered. Everything works fine now. Life is good, thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
And insofar as a GPS telling you where the RV friendly gas stations are, well you are not going to know if you can safely enter and exit a gas station unless you see it prior to entering.
That is what google Earth is good at. Lets you see all from above.
At least it works for me that way.

I have gotten in and out of many Murphy's with MH & toad by finding location from the Wal-Mart store on Google Earth.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Magellan GPS

jjwalker,

Yes, you can enter the length, height, width and weight of your rig into the Magellan. It warns you if the route you are planning has restrictions for your vehicle.

I will be leaving for a 3 destination, 12 day trip tomorrow and will report on how well the Magellan 9165T performs.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 10-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got the Magellan pro 9165T this weekend at Camping World in Greenwood, In. and it's going back to Camping World this coming weekend for a refund. On our 350 mile trip home it locked up twice had to turn off then back on to get it to work again, turn volume up and would go back to lowest setting never could get it to stay load. Then the best part it had our home about 6 miles off track. After getting home I put it in my truck to see where it was going to send us to get home, it was a old country road maybe 14 foot wide made out of chip road that does not even hook up to our road. Going to order the 7710 I guess.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #54

Sounds like u need an exchange, using my Magellan now for about a month, no issues as you describe, intact none at all,,,,
Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #55

I can't wait to hear how people like the Rand Mcnally 7710 and the Meggelan 9165T.

I like everything my RM 5510 does except the screen is small and the screen lacks detail and high resolution.

JW
Old 10-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
UPDATE
Took my Magellan Pro 9165T back to Camping World this after noon in Bowling Green, Ky to get a Rand McNally 5510 or 7710 the guy behind the counter told me that Rand McNally has push the date back to some time in Nov before they will start shipping the 7710 out. Was also told between Rand McNally and Magellan they get a lot more of the Rand McNally's returned than the Magellan's, so I'm trying another one I guess.
Closed Thread

Tags
gps