Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #113

Now if we could get the GPS makers to see this

Lot of go info here, but still looking for more. There are to GPS devices that are some what geared to RVers but both are too new for good comparisons. I do know I will save the $1800 to put a built in one in my new F350. The one in my 08 F350 is a toy compared to most aftermarkets and software for PCs. Can't wait for review on the new Magellan it seems a little better than the Rand McNally version. Maybe I'll ask for both for Christmas and run a side by side comparison. Santa listen please.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #114

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just completed my first trip (800 miles) using the 7710. I also ran a Garmin NUVI 755 with the latest map update for routing comparison purposes.

I have to say so far I'm pretty impressed with the 7710. It particularly did a much better job of getting us back on the correct route than the Garmin did when I took a wrong exit in Las Vegas. The routing instructions through Phoenix were also easier to understand. I have only owned Garmin units, and until now I didn't think anything could or would replace my Street Pilot 7200, but I think this will do it.

While we were driving through Phoenix on the freeway it did alert me twice to low overpasses near by, but of course they were not on our highway. I didn't receive any propane warnings, but I don't think I was ever in an area that would have triggered it. Nothing on the width either, pretty much for the same reason. I did turn off the audible alarms and just had them set to pop up on the screen. There are quite a few other options that can be toggled on/off on the screen.

I have uploaded a few pics here: http://photobucket.com/RVND_7710

The user manual, at 155 pages, is one of the most extensive I've ever see for a GPS device. It is a large PDF file at 7MB so it can't be emailed. However I have uploaded a copy to a file storage site, so if anyone is interested in downloading a copy, please send your email address and I'll provide a link.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by meterguru View Post
Lot of go info here, but still looking for more. There are to GPS devices that are some what geared to RVers but both are too new for good comparisons....Can't wait for review on the new Magellan it seems a little better than the Rand McNally version. Maybe I'll ask for both for Christmas and run a side by side comparison. Santa listen please.
I confess I've NOT read thru this entire 9 page thread, so please excuse my lazy ignorance with this question: What is the model of the Magellan unit?

THANKS, Ed
Old 11-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #116

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Since the 7710 didn't ship until October, I haven't had the chance to try it out on a big trip. But, I have tested it a bit and so far I am impressed. In testing it, I took a public road where I new had weight limits. The GPS properly tried to redirect me, noting my weight limit. Now one thing to remember, I had a destination loaded for a short trip. When I ignored the redirect for the weight limit(I wasn't
in my motorhome), it finally gave up and stopped calculating. Once I was on a normal road, I thought the directions would kick in again, but it cancels the whole route. I called Rand McNally and they confirmed that was the way the software was written. I like the display, very easy to see and read. I love the buttons for pilot/flying J, and of course Walmart. Very helpful !! The campground directory is also real nice. So, I am happy and would recommend.

It is the only RV GPS on the market. Although the Magellan is close with truck inputs, I think you will see that the Rand McNally went to great lengths to customize to the needs of RVers.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #117

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The user manual, at 155 pages, is one of the most extensive I've ever see for a GPS device. It is a large PDF file at 7MB so it can't be emailed. However I have uploaded a copy to a file storage site, so if anyone is interested in downloading a copy, please send your email address and I'll provide a link.
No need send me your email address for the manual, I believe the following direct link will work: FlipDrive.com - Free Secure Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Photo & Video Sharing, Music Online, Store & Access Documents, Share Files Online, Online Data Backup
Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #118

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
It is the only RV GPS on the market. Although the Magellan is close with truck inputs, I think you will see that the Rand McNally went to great lengths to customize to the needs of RVers.
The Magellan 9165T is designed for RVs, but I haven't seen any good reviews on it yet. RV GPS, RV navigation, truck GPS, Truck navigation
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #119

Angry gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
Ed, the reason no one has been able to give you a review of the RVND7710 is they have not been available. Supposedly they were to start shipping October 1. I ordered one a couple weeks ago from Camping World and they gave me an expected ship date of October 18. Once I receive it and try it out, I'll let everyone know how it works for me.
WoodLark have you used your RVND7710 enough to give an opinion..I'm looking maybe to get one jptheiam in texas
Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed
I just completed my first trip (800 miles) using the 7710. I also ran a Garmin NUVI 755 with the latest map update for routing comparison purposes.

I have to say so far I'm pretty impressed with the 7710. It particularly did a much better job of getting us back on the correct route than the Garmin did when I took a wrong exit in Las Vegas. The routing instructions through Phoenix were also easier to understand. I have only owned Garmin units, and until now I didn't think anything could or would replace my Street Pilot 7200, but I think this will do it.

While we were driving through Phoenix on the freeway it did alert me twice to low overpasses near by, but of course they were not on our highway. I didn't receive any propane warnings, but I don't think I was ever in an area that would have triggered it. Nothing on the width either, pretty much for the same reason. I did turn off the audible alarms and just had them set to pop up on the screen. There are quite a few other options that can be toggled on/off on the screen.

I have uploaded a few pics here: http://photobucket.com/RVND_7710

BobGed,
Does the 7710 leave a bread crumb trail to see where you have been like the Garmins?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #121
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman View Post
BobGed,
Does the 7710 leave a bread crumb trail to see where you have been like the Garmins?
It's advertised as having that feature.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Closed Thread

Tags
gps