Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortisi876 View Post
after opening the OEM vent caps up, there is NO WAY water overflowing out of those vent pipes would have been a good thing since they weren't sealed off to properly keep water from flowing inside through the roof. So either Monaco did a very poor job in execution OR they never thought the system would get backfilled to that point without something else giving way.
fortisi876
"When back-filling" is not the only time when an improperly sealed vent pipe can/will cause a problem.

If a vent pipe is NOT sealed properly to the factory cut opening through the roof... inside/under the vent cap, (which BTW most are NOT), tank odor CAN, (and often DOES), get into the coach at that location.

I sealed mine when I first got my coach 13 years ago, and I have had no waste tank odors in my coach in the years since.

Mel
'96 Safari, 135k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Ok I will ask the question. I drain my black tank on a regular basis. I use the flush jet and flush out the tank when I empty it. I fill the tank back 6 per cent full of water. In the past I have filled the tank 75 per cent full of water with a cup of pine sol in the tank. I then drove for 200 miles on curvy mountain road. I regularly put pine sol or sometimes simple green in the tank and fill it 75 per cent full and let it set for 2 days when I am leaving the coach for a weekend. My vent is not clogged up. I still occasionally get smells from my black tank. What do you suggest I fix.
I'm not sure if I mentioned before but FWIW, I decided this past season that I didn't want to wait til the vent cap mod to attempt to eliminate the sewer odors so after reading positive reviews of the Happy Campers Organic Treatment, I bought and treated the tanks. I was HIGHLY impressed and surprised to have no odors on my last trip when I tried it. There is NO WAY it was coincidental, when I tell you we had sewer odors on EVERY trip since we bought this MH. After treatment, they were gone for those 10 days, the stuff WORKS!!!

So why did I bother with this mod?
I dunno, I guess I didn't want to have to rely on this specific treatment/product and thought if the Siphon worked equally as well, in the long run, it'd be cheaper as the Happy Campers product isn't exactly cheap.

Anyhow, I mention it to you specifically cuz if you use THAT product instead of the PineSol or SimpleGreen, I think that might do a far better job as they recommend the same technique for extra smelly tanks.

Oh, one more thing, I just wanted to make another point, during this entire mod I was seeking the advice and tips from the makers of the 360* Siphon cap and I can't stress how AWESOME their customer service is/was. I'm almost annoyed that I won't be able to test this cap out til next Spring!!! LOL!

So a major thumbs up and THANK YOU to Bob & Greg if you guys see this!
Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=fortisi876;2302295]I'm not sure if I mentioned before but FWIW, I decided this past season that I didn't want to wait til the vent cap mod to attempt to eliminate the sewer odors so after reading positive reviews of the Happy Campers Organic Treatment, I bought and treated the tanks. I was HIGHLY impressed and surprised to have no odors on my last trip when I tried it. There is NO WAY it was coincidental, when I tell you we had sewer odors on EVERY trip since we bought this MH. After treatment, they were gone for those 10 days, the stuff WORKS!!!

We actually use a product called break up plus. One of the big things I like about it is the fact it is non toxic. You can use it to clean anything. One of the things we use it for is in the washing machine at the house. We have a front end loader and if I forget and close the door for a few days it has a pretty strong odor. The Break up plus is the first product we have seen that will get rid of the smell easily. It works very well in the black tank and if you look on irv2 you will find a lot of people that are pleased with the performance. Break up plus is not cheap but we buy it by the case and that brings the price down quite a bit. I have looked at the unit you put on the top of your stack and thought about buying one. My tiffin has a top that will do the same thing if you are driving down the road but does not have the capacity to swing around in the wind. If I ever decide to do anything different it will probably be the solar powered fan.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, vent