RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #1

Re-entering MH life???

Hello -

I've had 6 MH's over 23 years - I have been MH free since April of 2015 - wife gave me the green light to get another.

My last MH - 2008 Newmar Dutchstar 400hp ISL - Spartan absolutely wrecked me... Nothing but gremlins all due to the DPF system - on top of that, North Trail RV was the worst choice to purchase from. I know MH's, always have my tools but that rig wrecked me

I am considering purchasing, tomorrow, a 2015 Newmar Dutchstar - 450hp -

My question is - Should I? Has the DPF systems improved? Should I run from the DEF?

I have been reading the forum and searching for 24 hours now.

TIA
htPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about that rig. Hope you find a good one this time!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you will find that newer engines are much more reliable than those in 08. Last good pre-emissions engines were 06-07.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I don’t have a diesel but I read a post that after 2011 the issue was solved so you are probably good to go. Sorry don’t have more info than that. Perhaps someone more knoweldgeable could chime in.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by htPhil View Post
I am considering purchasing, tomorrow, a 2015 Newmar Dutchstar - 450hp -

My question is - Should I? Has the DPF systems improved? Should I run from the DEF?

I don't know anything about today's DPF systems but here's a gremlin you REALLY need to pay attention to:
Make sure this recall item has been done

The OFFICIAL RECALL is not available yet on the NHTSA website but should be available soon. The formal notices will be mailed out in May 2018. The recall refers to a "thermal event" on November 17,2017.

Engine fire in Newmar 2016 Dutchstar Model 4369

If you own or are looking to buy—any brand of a motorhome—that’s on a Freightliner Custom Chassis XBR, XCL, XCM, and XCR between the years 2010 & 2017 and is equipped with Cummins ISL engine, you need to pay attention to a real possible fire threat in the engine bay.

These affected models include a poorly routed power steering hose that can rub against the power stud on the starter motor. This can lead to electrical arcing — the creation of a brief but strong electric current — and a power steering fluid leak that, combined, may cause a fire.

This could affect over 10,000 motorhome's.

I've been compiling the highlights of this case for the last 8 months and have attached it here.

His whole story can be found here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/engi...-a-355703.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dutchstar-freightliner-fire-recall.pdf (57.3 KB, 6 views)
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hello -

TIA
Yes the DPF has been improved.

All new systems (emissions, computers, whatever) always have bugs when they first come out.

Regarding Diesel emissions, the first years of emission compliant engines (2008-10) had problems. From what I've read, most of those problems have been solved now.

Should you run DEF?
It's not a choice you can make - either the coach has it or it doesn't. If you question is "Should I avoid buying a coach with DEF", then the answer is No. DEF is fine. It's another system (to break) and an added expense (buying DEF), but the technology is sound.

However, in my opinion, I would buy an older coach that does not have diesel emissions.
Why?
Because every item added to an engine is another thing that can go wrong. It adds complexity and cost.

I think the "best" years for these Coaches are pre-2007 and post-2012.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
There are an awful lot of newer diesel engines out there using DEF. In the case of semi tractors, they can be operating up to 1/4 million miles a year. I would not let DEF fluid diesels be a deal breaker. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. DEF will not be a problem. Good luck on the new coach
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #9

Thanks all! The DS was not for us - 99% sure we are in on a 2011 Essex - I don't think that has the DEF (?) I can't remember, but it shouldn't - But above it is said not to worry about post 2012 DPF - this is a 2011 - I know, it's a crap shoot.

It does not have in motion satellite, it has the older style dish that looks like it cranks up - any issue there other than the obvious of not using it going down the road?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this, local dealer / service / longevity / support vs. the North Trail Hurricane I experienced lol

I could not find a scratch or nick on the entire exterior or interior.

Any comments about a 2011 Essex that I should be aware of?

Also, I have been a commenting member of the forum before, but it seems my history was wiped when I re-logged back in for this go around?
htPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks all! The DS was not for us - 99% sure we are in on a 2011 Essex - I don't think that has the DEF (?) I can't remember, but it shouldn't - But above it is said not to worry about post 2012 DPF - this is a 2011 - I know, it's a crap shoot.

It does not have in motion satellite, it has the older style dish that looks like it cranks up - any issue there other than the obvious of not using it going down the road?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this, local dealer / service / longevity / support vs. the North Trail Hurricane I experienced lol

I could not find a scratch or nick on the entire exterior or interior.

Any comments about a 2011 Essex that I should be aware of?

Also, I have been a commenting member of the forum before, but it seems my history was wiped when I re-logged back in for this go around?

If it has e-plex you should do some research on replacement costs