Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Realistic budget?

Okay, so we have the credit scores near 800. We have $40k-$50k in cash. We can easily afford $1800 payment. We plan on buying used.

Please help me understand what price range we should be looking in?

I know the folks that say if you can’t pay cash you don’t need it. Well, I’m financing. Probably 15-20 years too. I just have to find a way to get some peaceful vacation...

Edit: looking at class a diesel, tag axle preferred, under 10 years old.
MichaelInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #2

You really need to narrow your parameters. What are you thinking to buy ? Class A, gas, diesel, class C, 5th wheel ? How many people ? Full time, weekends with the occasional vacation ? You need to narrow things down for anyone to be able to help.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A rough guess....at current interest rates.....with 50K down, about $300K total purchase price.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #4

Good points. I’d like a class a diesel tag axle. We would use it at least 2-3 days a month and a couple weeks in summer. Maybe a few additional trips.
MichaelInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
While the above is in the ballpark $$ it would have to be for 20 years at 4.5%. I would suggest $225,000 for 10 years with $50K down. Even then, you will be upside down if you try and sell.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInNM View Post
Okay, so we have the credit scores near 800. We have $40k-$50k in cash. We can easily afford $1800 payment. We plan on buying used.

I know the folks that say if you can’t pay cash you don’t need it. Well, I’m financing. Probably 15-20 years too. I just have to find a way to get some peaceful vacation...

Please don't forget you can have significant motorhome related expenses. Some will be regular and some will be break downs repairs. I suggested buying much less than you can afford, and have a cushion.
soarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarak View Post
Please don't forget you can have significant motorhome related expenses. Some will be regular and some will be break downs repairs. I suggested buying much less than you can afford, and have a cushion.

Yup,

Insurance, I was paying +$1K but new bundled policy got me down to ~$700. This is on an 2002 Model.
Tires age out at 7 years, a set of 6 Toyo's for my coach is ~$3500
Set of 4 batteries ~$5-800 depending on brand/size
Annual service will run +$1000 unless you can do it yourself, then ~$2-400.
A 1000 hour generator service can cost $1200, more of the generator is hard to get to.

If you plan distance trips figure 7 mpg.
Campground costs are going up due to demand, figure $50-100 depending on your taste, and where you travel to. Tourist destinations get premium pricing. Boondocking can save you money if you are in to that and can find spots.

Things break on a motorhome even on the higher end models. I couldn't afford my coach if I wasn't a DIY'er, not many things I haven't been able to fix myself.

FWIW, I bought my rig during the Great Recession in late 2008, bought it for ~50% of NADA value. It was a repo, someone else's misfortune was my fortune. The day I wired my down payment I got notice that I would be laid off as the company I was working for was shutting down. Bought the rig anyway and took a trip to Alaska (when you get served lemons you make lemonade) and never looked back.

My only advice is to keep $$$ in reserve.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #8

What can I afford

We were in the same quandary as you. We decided to look for an older rig that was in really great shape. After almost a year of looking we found a 2005 American Heritage that was in mint condition for $165,000. Rather than take out a new loan we used the second mortgage to borrow about a $100k. It was a better interest rate and we paid it off in 3 years. Be safe and have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A7763C8-2622-4F4E-A85E-8FDF04DA9644.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	314614  
Scottbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've heard $5k-20k in ongoing annual costs is to be expected. So, plan on saving $1500/mth for the bumps in the road in your just in case fund.

From what I've seen, most MH loans are for 120 months. Can you do a home equity loan? Better rates.

Or just leverage the heck out of it all. Put the minimize down, get the longest term possible, and declare bankruptcy after you have your fun and walk away.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:

Besides the $40-50K you mention, do you have more cash or liquidity in reserve?

I've been looking at the cash flow (negative, of course) of owning a 12-15 year old DP. The "oops" problems start at $2000. The "oh shirt" problems start around $5k and can turn into $30k if your Cummins ISX drops a valve. These equivalent expenses in a gasoline powered coach are significantly lower, as is the cost of annual service.

Then there are the direct costs of travel and staying - fuel, site rental, utilities, generator / heating fuels, etc plus the overhead costs of tags, taxes & fees, insurance, storage, etc.

Coaches need to be driven and used. Diesels more so. Whatever you end up buying, I hope you can drive to a place that gives you peace.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You sound prepared and savvy. I would only add, buy your last coach first. We purchased a 38' gasser and loved the coach, but soon found ourselves pining for more room, better driving characteristics, and additional amenities. On our initial purchase we talked our selves down line thinking the money savings would be the happiness factory. It wasn't.

Best of luck.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:03 AM   #12

If this is your first motorhome, I really would suggest buying something cheaper and use it as a learning tool, with the plans of selling it in a year or two when you have a better idea of what fits your lifestyle best. The problem is if this if your first motorhome, you don't know what you don't know. You can try to get it right, but only experience over time will tell you what features are really important for you.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:18 AM   #13

Look at the Buybye Bluebird site. You will be amazed at what you will find there for way less than you are considering spending. As has already been suggested , "You don't know what you don't know". Spend a lot of time looking at different RV's. Look at the quality of the build, the floor plan and don't be lured in by the glitz. Don't be in a hurry, do your research. And don't believe what the salesman tells you. He ( or she ) is not your friend. Their job is to not let you walk out the door with $ left in your pocket. Look at how warranty claims are being handled on new RV's now and don't yours would be any different.
RV'ing is great and we love it but be an informed buyer and research, research, research. The posts on this site are a great start.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Good points. I’d like a class a diesel tag axle. We would use it at least 2-3 days a month and a couple weeks in summer. Maybe a few additional trips.
Your usage pattern does not seem compatible with DP for two reasons:
1) you will not drive it enough to make sure the engine and the fuel system does not accumulate sludge. A DP needs to be driven a lot to be problem free. The less you drive the more problems you will have. Corrosion in a diesel engine will set in much faster than in a gas engine.
2) it makes no sense economically considering you are not paying cash for it.
This might change if you are close to retirement.

Also, I might get a lot of argument on the next statement I am going to make, but the gas class A can be a safer option. A DP has most of the weight behind you (30k-40k) and more, and very little reinforcement in the front. The mount for the generator and generator itself adds very little integrity to the chassis. On the other hand in a gas class A you have an engine and a solid frame to support it. There is a lot that needs to be crashed before you get crashed.

Looking at RV crashes videos and pictures is eye opening. Think about that as well. You don't need to make a mistake to end up in a crash.
soarak is offline   Reply With Quote