Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Realistic expectations for selling a MH

Hi,

Just looking for feedback/thoughts and to set my expectations clearly. I am the kind of person who needs to get level set before I begin on something otherwise I end up getting frustrated and stressed. And I understand that everything is just advice/experiences/opinions.

So we purchased our coach new in 2016, 21K miles, but not going to go into details because I am not trying to sell it here.

Right now, NADA lists low 72K to high 86K. You can still buy this new for 79K.

I baby this coach, clean it after every trip, NuFinish, keep the interior up to snuff and the exterior glistening. I have updated the following things (if they have any value I don't know)

1. Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
2. Tankless Girard Hot Water Heater
3. Replaced interior latches with better ones
4. Awning did not have a 'stop arm' so had one installed to prevent awning from becoming a sail
5. Got all small issues fixed under warranty so there are 0 warranty issues
6. Cheap Handling Fix (CHF)
7. All oil changes done at 5K mile intervals, full synthetic, air filter, chassis lube (first at dealer now doing it myself)
8. Changed 120V outlets to have USB ports
9. Added 12V car outlet/usb ports under dinette
10. Added USB ports at Driver+Passenger
11. Upgraded speakers to Hertz HCX165
12. Added Rockford Fosgate Subwoofer/Built-In Amp
13. Extended Warranty (transferable)

Like I said, I don't know the value of these items to the average buyer, and they aren't something you can add onto NADA.

So I am wondering what should I expect. If I am looking to purchase a new coach, is it worth it to trade it in (tax savings of ~$5900). Will trade-in be the low figure, or even less? If I private party sell it, will people really come out to SoCal to take a look at the coach? How much of my time and effort would I be expected to put into selling it private party, and how much difference will it make in terms of selling price?

Does anyone have any tips for selling such a thing (i've sold a couple of vehicles private party but thats a different thing). Is there anything to look out for or be careful about?
randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Usually none of the upgrades/updates have any bearing on the selling price. They might make it more desirable to some people though. The service policy (not a warranty unless purchased from the original vehicle manufacturer) might carry some weight in that respect.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #3

Trade in will be a bit less than 90% of low retail, figured without any options, or mileage adjustments.

If that's how your $72K number was done, I would expect low 60's on a fair trade.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Upgrades will absolutely help with the sale. They won't impact the transaction price to the point that you will get what you think it is worth, but they will help you make the sale more quickly, especially on the private market.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire date codes
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

This is a highly salable RV You should private sale it & I would be amazed if it lasted two weeks. As others have mentioned you won't cash out on the improvements but they will help sell it.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #7

Thanks everyone, what can I expect in terms of showing it in a private party sale? Should I be expected to drive it x # of hours to meet someone? Or they come to me? I read the thread about driving it, I would likely let anyone who has driven one before and is insured for test driving it take it for a drive, but anybody who is not experienced maybe taking it to a big parking lot.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

Also forgot to mention it is 5 star tuned 87 daily tow. From what I understand I can leave it installed or revert it back to stock for the owner.

I will take pictures after I get home from the trip and post in classifieds/rv trader.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Tire date codes
Why? It is a 2016 model. At most 2-3 years old tires.
Way to many people obsess with RV tire age but drive on the road with tens of millions of vehicles of all kind with tires of 7+ years.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #10

Rayzor...
Recently sold a TOAD and older MH myself.
It takes some work to do it right but convinced you can come out $ ahead if that's your goal...if quick & EZ is goal can't beat a trade.
My $0.02
Don't take NADA values to literally... I think they are high by somewhere around 10% ±. OK to get in the ball park but that's all.
Clean & stage the unit and take many GOOD pics...toss the fuzzy, dark, glaring, etc ones and retake more pics.
I posted on Craigslist, iRV2, RVT.com, RVTrader.com and got inquiries from all... only paid one was RVTrader other free.
Use the above sites to do research re similar units for sale and prices vs options,mileage etc...look at +\- a yr or two for comparison.
I wouldn't \ didn't consider driving for 1st viewing...I want buyers serious enough to invest some time & effort. I would have considered meeting part way for final closing if I had a buyer and deposit. I was thinking \considering taking it to a show or rally to get expire...email.g Hershey PA show a large one in the NE where you can dry camp in the parking lot...good position could get a lot of exposure.

In my mind...best advantage of selling privately is if you have a unit in good condition AND extensive maintenance records. I've never been able to get much in records from a dealer.
Privately I can talk to the owner and form an impression of how they used & cared for a MH... at a dealer usually all you get is a sales pitch. I wouldn't rule out either if they had a unit I wanted, was in good condition, and price was reasonable.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just recently sold my older coach. We had alot of lookers and I think alot of the problem was financing. With yours being newer I don't think that that should be a problem but be prepared for alot of lookie loos.
I had many upgrades and it made no difference in price but did make the buyer feel better about how the coach was equipped.
I looked at what other coaches were listed for and dropped my price below that and it finally sold. People expect to pay less privately than they would at a dealer.
I would see what they would offer on a trade, they may want to sell their coach badly enough to give you a fair price. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
most of the upgrades you list are either fixes for problems or negligible in a buyers eyes... but be very, VERY careful about letting anyone drive it...

they may SAY they know, and even IF they are truthful, how many that really DO know have wrecked their OWN coach on a tight right turn !??!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
DARN, I read thru the OP several times looking for the year,, missed it. (I'm getting old).. But since I'm anal (and blind) It may not hurt to put tire make, model, and date code in your ad, just so your covered for idiots like me..

Tire age = Yah, I'm kind of obsessive regarding tire age. I hate tire problems, so its usually the first thing I look at when considering buying a vehicle.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Why? It is a 2016 model. At most 2-3 years old tires. Way to many people obsess with RV tire age but drive on the road with tens of millions of vehicles of all kind with tires of 7+ years.
Yes, "tens of millions of vehicles of all kind with tires of 7+ years" do exist and run on the road, but they don't weight 26K lbs. or more, aren't towing a toad and are 35' long and.......well....Oh jeeze I give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Tire date codes
It's a 2016 MH

To the OP:
So yeah, your improvements should make a big difference to an "informed" buyer. A tire kicker, not so much. To a dealer, definitely not so much. Of course when you go BUY a new MH and add on extras, they cost a small fortune. But when you go to trade-in, yeah your upgrades aren't worth much if anything. Bunch of typical BS.

But you have some good, costly improvements, it's a fairly new coach, financing for a good qualified buyer shouldn't be problem. Hopefully you have maintenance records too. That always helps breed trust and relax buyers.

Any buyer (and their financing Co.) will want/require an inspection. I wouldn't drive the MH to anywhere for them to look at it. You want to see it...you come to me. If they want to test drive it, qualify them first that they aren't just a tire kicker but a serious buyer. Once that has been done—if necessary—YOU drive to a large parking lot and let them them drive a little around the lot if necessary. Call your insurance company and ask if that test driver would be covered if something happened. Take a friend with you. Don't go alone. If someone doesn't need financing and wants to pay cash, fine. Have them meet you @ your bank and have them process the transaction whatever form it takes.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote