Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #43

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_MIKE View Post
Well I am going by what the tire repairman told me at the time of repair, he said he had seen it numerous times, and I only assume that he knew what he was talking about. My RV is a 1999 and it does not have a TPMS, and I guess it is possible that the tire might have had a slow leak that caused the problem. I'm simply relying on what was told to me but someone who is certainly more of an expert than me.

In my experience few tiretechs have ever received proper failed tine inspection training. Understanding the How and Why a tire failed is not their responsibility. They will form some opinions but unless they get their ideas confirmed by a tire engineer it's like taking a test, answering questions but never gettin graded.

RE TPMS. Aftermarket TPMS are definately a must have for all RVs. You can review my blog for my observations on them and how I suggest people set the warning levels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #44

Commercial Member

RE the shop mistakes

I really don't buy the excuse "just made a mistake" We are talking a safety issue here. Service shops make money by doing work, Why would they not want to do the work required to do the job requested i.e. inspect the brakes etc.
Is it possible the fee included a brake check but they just decided to charge you for the inspection as part of their "safety check" package but simply decided to not do the work?
I would certainly post the shop name & address here and every other place you post yourexperience along with a comment about the shop not being willing to stand behind their work.

In many some states breke work is required as part of a safety inspection and failure to do a proper job makes the shop liable for any future accident or failure.
BBB, Smale claims and state AG would definatelybe called for. What does the work order you signed say? Can you post an exact quote?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #45

I’d even be willing to call the shop myself and ask to speak to the owner and tell him to please make this right and if everyone on this thread did that, along with a statement like, “...we will be sure to pass along the positive experience that our good friend received to ALL our RV friends and connections as well as RV forums...”, perhaps he would actually contact you. If you get my meaning.

Here's their email address: contact@cmtrucktrailer.com
And of course their phones#: 256-734-6378 or 256-734-6438
And if anyone loves to fax: 256-734-8339

Just a thought.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is really a lesson to be learned here that has yet to be stated. It is: If you possibly can do the work yourself and you will be sure it is done right. If not, then be very specific about exactly what you want done and verify that it is done.

In this case instead of just saying "check the brakes" you could have said "measure the remaining brake material (pads or shoes) and check calipers for proper operation. Then make sure that the work order says just that. This way you know exactly where you stand when you pick up the vehicle because you have the data for each wheel.

If any parts are changed I want to see the parts that were removed. Make that request on the work order.

I know that is easy to say and obvious in retrospect, but my point is if you must have someone else do work for you, be very specific as to exactly what you want done and if possible have some way to make sure that this was done.

For example, crankcase dipsticks are often not accurate. So I would say: "change the oil and filter and put in exactly 19 quarts of Delo 15W/40" I know where the oil level on the dipstick is when this is done, so I just check to see that the level is 1/4 inch above the full mark. Anyway, the more specific you can be the more likely that what you want will be done.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #47

Dirko,
Wow..I have to admit, I've been very fague when I take my rig in. I think you brought up some good points especially wanting to see the replaced parts. I am making a note of this and will be sure I do this from now on.

Do you think most shops will do this? Put down explicit instructions or requests on the work order? And how much do you push it? If you ask for a copy of the work order and you don't see those exact words or request, do you push back? Seems like there has to be a certain level of trust with 'your shop'. But obviously in this situation, had AL_Mike put those down explicitly then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation as they would be required to fix things....maybe.

Anyway, appreciate your input.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
This is a classic example of why you should have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, a TPMS will also monitor tire heat. An alarm will go off if the pressure drops or the temp increases beyond acceptable thresholds on any wheel You would have heard an alarm before the tire blew and been able to stop and examine what's going on with the wheel that set off the alarm.
I'm have to check into a TPMS, I would imagine they sell them aftermarket?, This trip that we just took is the 1st and only trip we have taken in the RV. I bought it in november, but it has been in the RV shop, then on to the chassis shop, then on our trip then back to the chassis shop. I've owned it 6 months and 4 1/2 of those its in a shop of some type, I figured once everything is done then we will get some enjoyment out of it.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I really don't buy the excuse "just made a mistake" We are talking a safety issue here. Service shops make money by doing work, Why would they not want to do the work required to do the job requested i.e. inspect the brakes etc.
Is it possible the fee included a brake check but they just decided to charge you for the inspection as part of their "safety check" package but simply decided to not do the work?
I would certainly post the shop name & address here and every other place you post yourexperience along with a comment about the shop not being willing to stand behind their work.

In many some states breke work is required as part of a safety inspection and failure to do a proper job makes the shop liable for any future accident or failure.
BBB, Smale claims and state AG would definatelybe called for. What does the work order you signed say? Can you post an exact quote?
I posted the link to the shops web page in entry #39, but here it is again. C & M Truck and Trailer Repair - Cullman, Alabama

What is funny is I get conflicting stores, all depends on which employee you speak too. Owner says he's gonna make it right. Acting shop foreman, tells me I needed work on the tag axle, but when I picked up the RV the regular shop foreman (who had been off sick) tells me there must of been a mis- communication and that nothing was wrong with the tag axle. When I asked to speak with the owner, the shop foreman says the owner didn't wanna speak to me anymore and he was told to handle it.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #50

Do you have the owners name? I think I'd like to email him as I mentioned in my previous post.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirko View Post
There is really a lesson to be learned here that has yet to be stated. It is: If you possibly can do the work yourself and you will be sure it is done right. If not, then be very specific about exactly what you want done and verify that it is done.

In this case instead of just saying "check the brakes" you could have said "measure the remaining brake material (pads or shoes) and check calipers for proper operation. Then make sure that the work order says just that. This way you know exactly where you stand when you pick up the vehicle because you have the data for each wheel.

If any parts are changed I want to see the parts that were removed. Make that request on the work order.

I know that is easy to say and obvious in retrospect, but my point is if you must have someone else do work for you, be very specific as to exactly what you want done and if possible have some way to make sure that this was done.

For example, crankcase dipsticks are often not accurate. So I would say: "change the oil and filter and put in exactly 19 quarts of Delo 15W/40" I know where the oil level on the dipstick is when this is done, so I just check to see that the level is 1/4 inch above the full mark. Anyway, the more specific you can be the more likely that what you want will be done.
Normally I would do the work myself, But at the time I took it to C&M initially I was getting over a health issue, and then I was dumb enough to take it back because the owner said he would make it right. And your right, I probably should have been more exact about what I told them, but I figured their a shop that deals with RV's they should understand what "check the brakes" means.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Do you have the owners name? I think I'd like to email him as I mentioned in my previous post.
Owners name is Carlton Musgrove
Old 05-01-2018, 06:11 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Can you post the pictures of the failed tire? Full sun with the area of interest in full frame and sharp focus is best. If the claim for the tire failure is from brakes overheating then the bead area of the tires should show the heat.
Tireman9, I'm sorry that I haven't gotten the picture up, hate to say it but technology is whipping my butt right now, My old phone I could just plug in a cable and download the pictures to the computer, got a new phone 2 months ago and its completely different than the old one, I might have to try and upload the picture via the internet on the phone, because I haven't quite figured out how to download it to the computer.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #54

Your best bet is to go down to the courthouse in that county and file a small claims case. The fees are not much and if you win the defendant has to pay them. There is no jury, it is just a Judge. You do not need an attorney, but you need to have a proper presentation prepared with the evidence you have. Keep it simple, you want reimbursement for the damage done by the shop not inspecting the brakes, so that is pads, calipers, tire and labor.

Oh, and stick to the facts. the Judge has to hear a boat load of cases every day, so don't waste time talking about things not germane to the case. If you wander off topic much you will bore and make the Judge impatient....not good.

The process is simple. File the suit, the County will issue subpoenas for the shop owner and other employees you name in the suit to appear in court. It may take a few months to get to a court date so be patient. You will tell your side, the Judge will ask you questions, then will let the shop people testify. Then the judge makes a decision.

Actual evidence(parts) and photographs are very important to your case. All communication is also important, so request via email that the owner make this right....his answer("if" he answers is evidence). Remember, you have to convince the Judge that this all happened because the shop failed to inspect.
Look and act professional, do not speak our of turn, refer to the Judge as Judge or Your Honor. Be clear and concise as to how the failure to inspect allowed the failed pads to damage the rotors and create heat which in turn damaged the calipers, then tire. The Judge may not feel the tire is part of the equation, so don't be offended if that cost is disallowed. A notarized statement from the tire guy would help in that area.

Even if you lose, you are only out the filing fee which in most rural areas is around $100. My wife had to file small claims on a client that refused to pay her commission(she is a real estate broker). The guy was a personal family friend of the judge(small town) and the judge even offered to recuse herself from the case. But, we felt the evidence was strong since it was all in writing(emails), so we allowed the judge to sit on the case. She won and collected her commission, plus filing fee.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #55

Commercial Member

Quote:
Tireman9, I'm sorry that I haven't gotten the picture up, hate to say it but technology is whipping my butt right now, My old phone I could just plug in a cable and download the pictures to the computer, got a new phone 2 months ago and its completely different than the old one, I might have to try and upload the picture via the internet on the phone, because I haven't quite figured out how to download it to the computer.
OK you should be able to simply email the pictures from the phone to me directly. Tireman9
at Gmail.

RE TPMS I suggest you check my blog (link in signature below) I have a number of posts just on TPMS.

I hear the claim that the tire failure was due to brake heat but there are some very specific indications on the tire bead if that is true. I'm just trying to help confirm the real reason for the tire failure. It may or may not be because of the brakes. Steel to steel is definately not good for generating braking force. Good brakes turn kenetic energy to heat. If you don't have good braking force how do you generate more heat? Just saying.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #56

Quote:
I'm have to check into a TPMS, I would imagine they sell them aftermarket?,
There are several brands available, there are many threads here with opinions on which is best (type TPMS in the search bar and pour a coffee). Having any of them is better than none. I use an EEZ-RV system that I am very happy with.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote