Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

Rear and side view cameras

Thinking of upgrading my rear view camera to a rear and side view, and would like some input on what brands you all recommend.
Cajun2Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just replaced my original Voyager with another...this time color/lcd. Have not upgraded my cameras yet so I still see only b & w but I'm ready should I decide to do that too. My system is wired not wireless but they make both.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I just replaced my original Voyager with another...this time color/lcd. Have not upgraded my cameras yet so I still see only b & w but I'm ready should I decide to do that too. My system is wired not wireless but they make both.
When you replace the cameras, do they require new, unique to color camera cables? If you do replace the cameras, I'm looking to install a camera on the nose of my Itasca. I park very close to some boulders and have to frequently get out to make sure I don't hit them. I'd be willing to take one off your hands!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #4

Many people will say that the side cameras are a waste of money, and that they never use them. I am one of the few that will take a final glance at the side camera, just to verify that I haven't missed something. For me, they a very worthwhile. Mine are color, and the rear has a microphone so that I can hear the DW as I'm backing in.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I recently went through the same process. We purchased our '08 Winnebago Sightseer and the previous owner had a color monitor installed. Our previous coach had a color system so I knew what it was like and wanted it again. Clarity is much better. Anyway .... the system that came with the MH was made by Voyager and the upgraded monitor was also by Voyager. I ended up opening up the grommet at the rear near the camera and took photos of the connection. I then contacted Tim at RVCams.com and he verified that the color camera that was available and that would match up with the upgraded monitor.

They are very happy to help you get what you need.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #6

replaced cameras

I just replaced my rear camera because it failed on are last trip ! I put in voyager vos74tq its a three camera system with color monitor .My class A only had a back camera so this system gave me side cameras with it. They work off your turn signal just like the 2017s do I love it !!!
chetoo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Do some research before spending the money. My new coach came with the side view cameras and I find them useless, ESPECIALLY if you tow a car. When towing and making a lane change, I watch the rear camera to see when my toad clears the vehicle I'm passing. If I turn on my turn signal, the side camera is of no value, it will let you see the side of your coach, but it won't provide the depth perception needed to see the vehicle you're passing. If your mirrors are adjusted properly, you can see what's beside you without the use of a camera.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:42 AM   #8

It really depends on your driving style. I use the rear camera to see when I'm clear of the car I'm passing, then check the mirrors, and finally hit the signal and check the side view to make sure I haven't missed anything. Are side cameras indispensable, No. Are they nice to have? In my case, yup.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Do some research before spending the money. My new coach came with the side view cameras and I find them useless, ESPECIALLY if you tow a car. When towing and making a lane change, I watch the rear camera to see when my toad clears the vehicle I'm passing. If I turn on my turn signal, the side camera is of no value, it will let you see the side of your coach, but it won't provide the depth perception needed to see the vehicle you're passing. If your mirrors are adjusted properly, you can see what's beside you without the use of a camera.
I have 2 color monitors (3 if you count the GPS). 1 monitor is constant rearview and the 2nd is left/right and TripTek overlay.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #10

I've always used rear view safety. they have a lot of options and a good site to do research on. i'd start here

Backup Camera System | Vehicle Safety Products | RearViewSafety.com
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera