Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2022, 05:05 AM   #1

Rear Camera Stopped working

2011 Winnebago Journey 34Y. Rear camera stopped working - "NO VIDEO" (sic) message on monitor. Both side cameras are working. Voltage at the rear camera measured 8.5 volts. I tested the camera by directly applying 12-V, and the camera sent video to the monitor. I assumed that 12 volts is required and replaced the camera switch (Riverpark CVS-100-03). No change - rear camera still doesn't work. However, the circuit diagram provided with the new switch shows 9 volts (Not 12-v) are sent to each of the 3 cameras. It seems reasonable that 9-V would drop to 8.5-V through the 50-Ft cable between the switch and the rear camera. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

HardTrvln
Larry, Jeanne, and Pico
2011 Winnebago JourneyExpress 34Y
2020 Buick Envision
Casa Grande, AZ
HardTrvln is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2022, 07:47 AM   #2

Always carry a meter (d'Arsonval movement is best), crimpers, CRC contact cleaner and lubricant and dielectric grease when troubleshooting. You rig is 11 years old - corrosion and old crimps are the most likely cause of failures based on my experience with out 14 year old MH. Always remove plugs and spray the contact surfaces and then reinsert several time to break up crud. Always re-crimp any butt or spade connectors in the pathway. Always apply a dab of dielectric grease to the contact points to help block new corrosion. Meanwhile.. regarding you issue.

I'd switch the inputs at the monitor to verify it's not the monitor or the immediate cable connection point at the monitor. If you see any crimped connectors - such as for power to the external cameras, re-crimp them or replace them. Of course, feel free to use the CRC!

Using your trusty meter, verify what voltage is actually being sent out to each camera.

Let us know what those couple of steps do so we can help further, if need be.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:19 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply, Domo.
The monitor input from the camera switch is used to display video for both side cameras. Video for both side cameras is displayed OK, but rear camera video is not displayed. I believe this this connection is OK.
I checked the voltage at the rear camera (8.5-V), which doesn't seem low considering 9-V from the switch through a 50-Ft cable. I have been unable to find specifications for the rear camera to determine if 8.5-V is too low for the camera. Does anyone have information for the camera used by Winnebago? All I have found is the Winnebago part number, but no specs.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:01 AM   #4

All the cameras probably have the same specs and may have the same plugs behind the monitor. Can you switch the rear camera cable to one of the side cameras and see if it then works with a good display? Believing a connection is good seldom brings home the bacon if you know what I mean...

Of course you can also connect one side camera cable to the current rear cable input to the monitor.

I'm trying to help determine if it's simply a dirty plug where the rear camera plugs into the system...

What's the model number of the monitor - or a picture of where the cameras plug into it's backside would help.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:43 PM   #5

I connected the rear camera cable to a side camera plug on the camera switch module and got the "NO VIDEO" message when it was selected with the turn signal.
I believe the connection between the switch and the monitor is good BECAUSE there is only one connection and it works for both side cameras. The circuit diagram for the camera switch is provided below to clarify my description.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Riverpark Camera switch CVS-100-03.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	375653  
Old 09-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #6

Good! So we know it's not just the monitor with a faulty rear camera socket. Definitely the rear camera cable or the camera.

Have you used CRC contact cleaner and lubricant on both ends of the rear camera cable? (I'm hoping the cable has a plug at the camera end.)

I'm still hoping for a corroded power connection - sometimes camera only come with a 5, 10, 15 foot cable - for longer runs they may have used an extension - so there could be a coupling somewhere in the line causing the drop you've seen.

If you can get a part number off the rear camera it might specify how long it's integral cable was and you'd know if it needed an extension.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

As a last resort you could permanently wire an "ignition on" 12 source to the rear camera and abandon the 9V (8.5) from the monitor... You've already proved that works...
Old 09-07-2022, 05:13 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Good! So we know it's not just the monitor with a faulty rear camera socket. Definitely the rear camera cable or the camera.

Have you used CRC contact cleaner and lubricant on both ends of the rear camera cable? (I'm hoping the cable has a plug at the camera end.)

I'm still hoping for a corroded power connection - sometimes camera only come with a 5, 10, 15 foot cable - for longer runs they may have used an extension - so there could be a coupling somewhere in the line causing the drop you've seen.

If you can get a part number off the rear camera it might specify how long it's integral cable was and you'd know if it needed an extension.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

As a last resort you could permanently wire an "ignition on" 12 source to the rear camera and abandon the 9V (8.5) from the monitor... You've already proved that works...

I would not start meddling with back yard mechanics to 12V when the print shows 9V. There is a reason the Power Supply drops the voltage from 12 to 9V.
If the camera is designed for 9V, 8.5V should be well in the tolerance zone.
Different cameras & systems work on different voltages. Some of ours were 6V. Sure they work with higher voltages but for how long?

Unless all the cameras are the same part #, they are different. Just looking at the print, they are most likely different. I would suspect the rear camera is bad.

All the cameras I worked on had a 5-12" pigtail depending on application.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
I would not start meddling with back yard mechanics to 12V when the print shows 9V. There is a reason the Power Supply drops the voltage from 12 to 9V.
If the camera is designed for 9V, 8.5V should be well in the tolerance zone.
Different cameras & systems work on different voltages. Some of ours were 6V. Sure they work with higher voltages but for how long?

Unless all the cameras are the same part #, they are different. Just looking at the print, they are most likely different. I would suspect the rear camera is bad.

All the cameras I worked on had a 5-12" pigtail depending on application.
Thanks for your caution... Hence, the hope for the part number on the backup camera so the specs/configuration can be verified, and the LAST resort being wiring to 12 V.

I agree, one of the following components are suspect; camera and pigtail, connections to an extension cable, extension cable and terminal plug at the monitor. It is likely that OP may need to replace the entire rear camera system.

On an 11 year old rig I suspect bad connections first - it'll be interesting to find out.

OP - can you remove the camera and possibly hook it through a side camera cable?
Old 09-07-2022, 08:07 AM   #9

My camera is a sony and went bad. Gave it a tap and it come on. I have replaced it once already.
Took camera out and on back had model of camera. Google it and you will find repair shop.
Try the tap first.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #10

It is a 8 volt camera.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, rear