Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

Rear end replacement

I have a 2002 Itasca Sunova. And about to replace the housing and its components in there and for a third time has anybody have any experience with this type of issue on a Ford Chassis
Pinneri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Overloaded?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Why are you replacing it? What's wrong?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Nobody could ever accuse me of being a mechanic, so can't help! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
More information needed: what was the initial failure mode? What was done to fix it? Has it been the same failure mode each time? If not, what was the failure mode each time, and what was done to fix it each time?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The rear axle installed in F53's are acquired from Dana Corporation and are used not only buy Ford but also GM and Dodge. One failure requiring compete replacement is rare, three is lottery ticket odds.

Did the same mechanic do the work on the prior two failures?
Old 10-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #7

Based on the assumption that the differential is a Dana/Spicer, I would question the fluid being used. Dana is pretty specific on their fluids and has several manuals on selection, specifications and what companies are approved to meet their requirements. I just spent a lot of time researching this and spoke to their tech support several times in the process.

The other thing I would mention is that there is a requirement if the wheel bearings are drained of fluid or removed that the entire differential must be tipped side to side by six inches and held for a couple of minutes on each tip to ensure fluid reaches the wheel bearings (after filling). Failure to follow this procedure on a rebuild will result in failure of the wheel bearings. Once that is done, the differential is set level and filled to the correct level. Their rebuild requirements are very specific and whoever is doing the work needs to follow the manual.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Those axles are just about bullet proof . They will fail if severely overloaded , but failures are rare. Improper oil or not enough oil will cause it to fail.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Based on the assumption that the differential is a Dana/Spicer, I would question the fluid being used. Dana is pretty specific on their fluids and has several manuals on selection, specifications and what companies are approved to meet their requirements. I just spent a lot of time researching this and spoke to their tech support several times in the process.

The other thing I would mention is that there is a requirement if the wheel bearings are drained of fluid or removed that the entire differential must be tipped side to side by six inches and held for a couple of minutes on each tip to ensure fluid reaches the wheel bearings (after filling). Failure to follow this procedure on a rebuild will result in failure of the wheel bearings. Once that is done, the differential is set level and filled to the correct level. Their rebuild requirements are very specific and whoever is doing the work needs to follow the manual.
You are right, Dana does say to jack up to make sure fluid moves around. Ford manual says to lightly pack the rear bearings, probably because they doubted anyone would actually jack up the axle 6" to move fluid around.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #10

Are you having it towed with only one axle shaft pulled ?

That will get the spider and side gears spinning fast, without the ring gear splashing oil on them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #11

Welcome to the forum!

Summtin gotta be up with this....
Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #12

2002 Sunova would be on an 18K chassis, right? That'd be a Dana 80. I know the bigger S135 had the tip the axle thing, not sure about the 80.

Like to hear the whole story.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #13

I ripped the rear out of my E350 for an E450 box truck rear, what do you want to know?
Please show your Cat scale weight ticket.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
I ripped the rear out of my E350 for an E450 box truck rear, what do you want to know?

What was the OP's failures?

Tags
ace, replace, replacement