Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rear End Swing. Or Tail Swing

Hello Friends.

Our coach is a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE40E on a Spartan Chassis. Love it. It is single axel with no tag axel.

On the topic of rear end swing, how much is it reduced with a tag axel? Just curious. As a former truck driver I know the impact, no pun intended, of Ass Swing on a rear of a straight truck or trailer.

I saw a RV Class nestle tip to the side of the pump this past week and when he pulled away and made a sharp left hand turn, his rear end bumped the pump. He was on the inside of the pump. He was clueless of watching his rear when turning which surprised me.

Would a tag axel have any impact on this very real scenario?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #2

JMHO: As I don't have a tag either.

Tail of the coach still pivots from the drive axle , so the tag doesn't cut down on the swing . It's there to help carry the weight. The torsional load on the tag axle tires may slow the swing down , but it's still there.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, the ONLY things that affects TAIL swing is the DIMENSION of overhand behind the rear axle, and the awareness/ actions of the DRIVER.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #4

A tag coach will potentially have a wider swing than a non tag coach. As has been mentioned, the pivot point is the heaviest axle which is the drive. In most cases, the overhang from the drive back is longer on a tag coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #5

It pivots on the drive axle, the tag tires wear really fast. From what I've seen I don't think a lot of people realize how far and fast the rear swings in a turn.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
It pivots on the drive axle, the tag tires wear really fast.
Most if not all tag coaches have the option of dumping the tag suspension and/or lifting the tag which eliminates 90% of any scuffing. The exception to this is the higher end coaches that have passive steering tags or active tags that steer opposite of the front steering axle to swing around a turn. Virtually no scuffing on the later.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #7

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the distance from the axle to the rear, divide by 3, is how much swing you can have at the sharpest turn.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the distance from the axle to the rear, divide by 3, is how much swing you can have at the sharpest turn.
That might be close on a particular wheel base length, but the factor will be different a different wheelbases and the angle of the steer axle would also come into play.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Most if not all tag coaches have the option of dumping the tag suspension and/or lifting the tag which eliminates 90% of any scuffing. The exception to this is the higher end coaches that have passive steering tags or active tags that steer opposite of the front steering axle to swing around a turn. Virtually no scuffing on the later.

Diesel yes, never seen a gas tag lift. And the scuffing on those tires shows it pivots on the drive axle.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Diesel yes, never seen a gas tag lift. And the scuffing on those tires shows it pivots on the drive axle.
The OP has a DP and that was what he was referring to. You're correct, a Gas Tag has a fixed tag, so yes, it will scrub the tires. Also, because there is no heavy engine in the back, a gasser will have a higher percentage of the body behind the pivoting drive axle resulting in a greater swing arc.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:33 PM   #11

My 1993 7.5 gasser tag rides on airbags and "lifts". I bring it up for tight turns in campgrounds and such.
There are coaches out there that have tag axles that don't lift? Sounds annoying.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Hello Friends.

Our coach is a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE40E on a Spartan Chassis. Love it. It is single axel with no tag axel.

On the topic of rear end swing, how much is it reduced with a tag axel? Just curious. As a former truck driver I know the impact, no pun intended, of Ass Swing on a rear of a straight truck or trailer.

I saw a RV Class nestle tip to the side of the pump this past week and when he pulled away and made a sharp left hand turn, his rear end bumped the pump. He was on the inside of the pump. He was clueless of watching his rear when turning which surprised me.

Would a tag axel have any impact on this very real scenario?

Too bad he didn't check with his rear camera. There is no better tool to know when the rig and toad are clear of the pumps and it is safe to turn. -Paul
Old 06-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
My 1993 7.5 gasser tag rides on airbags and "lifts". I bring it up for tight turns in campgrounds and such.
There are coaches out there that have tag axles that don't lift? Sounds annoying.

Had a '96 Southwind gas-tag with no lift. Really was no problem at all. You could see the skidmarks a little if you turned on dirt or gravel, but neither wear nor increased turn radius was a significant factor.

I'm not saying there is no effect; just that it's not a big deal unless you put a lot of miles on and those miles involve plenty of turns.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Really was no problem at all. .
Mine lifts a bit slow and many times I haven't bothered. Or forgot. I can't tell any difference really. I just raise it on principle I guess.
I guess there's no reason a tag has to be able to be raised. I just never really thought about it until this thread.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear