Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rear flap opinions

My coach has the large and heavy full length flap that hangs from the rear of the coach. It has a really nice (and heavy) stainless lazer cut logo plate on it. It is pretty, for sure, and most of the nicer class A rigs have these. As I was laying on my side recently polishing the shiney stainless CC logo plate, I wondered if it was worth the trouble ?

Do they really do much other than provide some 'bling'? I do know that the thing drags on the pavement at times, especially when entering/exiting driveways, etc. Also, it sometimes gets smashed or hung up when the rear of the coach gets lowered for leveling purposes. I've even heard the theory that they impede air flow from the engine compartment on side radiator DP's and can contribute to overheating.

With mud flaps close behind the rear wheels, I don't think they really do much to deflect stuff off the toad....or do they? I've even seen it suggested that they actually serve to flip stuff up on the toad (if they are too close to the pavement?)

So, I am interested in hearing what others who have (or have removed) these things think about them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #2

I can tell you that the flap on my coach kept my tow from getting destroyed when I ran over a dead deer one night on a foggy interstate. The flap took the impact and protected the tow.
Kassack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

We also have a 'full length' mud flap on our MH. While I do not polish it, I do take a little extra time washing it, just to keep it looking good. I am not sure about it restricting the air flow from the engine, but I do suspect that it keeps some of the rocks from hitting the TOAD.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
They provide a positive air pressure to the engine compartment when in a forward
motion.
This is helpful in a rear facing radiator, unless a side radiator sucks air in the same
effect would be the same.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #5

I think they do a good job protecting toads,on the other hand a improperly installed flap dragging the ground probably would do more harm than good flipping up rocks and degree. Mine also has a stainless revolution logo on it it only gets washed when my rig does and it's as shiney as the day I bought it 2008.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #6

My toad is a Wrangler. If your mud flaps are not too low (scaring up pebbles) you need nothing. Wranglers are taller.
A full rear flap needs to be 4 inches off the pavement at ride height.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
They provide a positive air pressure to the engine compartment when in a forward
motion.
This is helpful in a rear facing radiator, unless a side radiator sucks air in the same
effect would be the same.
Side radiator coaches pull air in from the outside so creating positive pressure under and inside the engine compartment could, in theory, inhibit air flow.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can test your theory by removing your mud flap putting In one of you storage bins and taking a trip. Before you leave pay close attention to the front of the Toad. After you get there take another close look at the toad. Before you leave to go home reinstall the flap and again pay close attention to the toad. When you get home take good look at your toad. Also during this trip pay close attention to the engine temp. If there are any noticeable differences, higher or lower engine temps, more bugs, dirt or whatever on the toad between with and without then you will have figured out for yourself if it makes a difference.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we bought our coach back in '08, in came complete with mudflaps behind the rear wheels, and that big mud flap at the back of the coach.

Not knowing any better, we hooked up our toad and headed out on our first trip. 1000 miles later, the toad was plastered with gravel, windshield damaged.

I learned that the rear mud flap was too close to the ground, so I cut 4" off the bottom. Everything has been OK ever since.

So, I wonder what would happen if I removed the rear mud flap completely.

Hmmmmm.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
When we bought our coach back in '08, in came complete with mudflaps behind the rear wheels, and that big mud flap at the back of the coach. Not knowing any better, we hooked up our toad and headed out on our first trip. 1000 miles later, the toad was plastered with gravel, windshield damaged. I learned that the rear mud flap was too close to the ground, so I cut 4" off the bottom. Everything has been OK ever since. So, I wonder what would happen if I removed the rear mud flap completely. Hmmmmm. Jim
I went 26,000 miles with just regular flaps behind the dualies. No chips!
The full width flap is nice bling.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #11

Well Im not too sure but my flap is a piece of crap! It's the kind that is plastic and split vertically, I want a blingy one to dress her up some. I have a drivers side radiator and so far I dont think I have any issues with overheating.

Once I save up a few pennies I'll be on the hunt for a little bling to protect my toad, the one I have seems to keep it looking ok.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use the solid rubber "UltraGuard" flap installed to hang 4" from the ground (as the manufacturer recommends) when on level surface. I also use the "Protect-a-Tow" shield between the MH and the toad. We have never had a ding on the toad from rocks! JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I took my big drag flap off,it is a good advertisement for the manufacturer,
I do not see any problems on my toad.It is also extra dead weight.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Well I can attest that it protects the toad from road grime and rocks. DH backed up when I was not on hand and tore ours up. We had to take it off. Then drove the rest of the trip without one through rain. When we got home the toad had road grime all over the front and windshield and when I washed it found a big ding in the hood. I ordered a new one and we installed it before the next trip.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote