Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Rear HWH jacks won’t deploy......

My wife and I own a 2004 Itasca Sunrise 34D with an HWH 325 series leveling system. We are currently in the middle of a trip “moochdocking” at my wife’s aunt and uncle’s place in Texas. The trip out here was uneventful with the jacks working normally at our one and only stop enroute. When we arrived in Texas, however, we could not get the rear HWH leveling jacks to deploy even though the pump “sounded” normal. Fortunately, we are in a relatively flat area and were able to block the rear wheels and lower the front jacks to get the coach reasonably level. I’ve checked the fluid level and and it seems to be okay, which is about the sum total of my knowledge when it comes to hydraulic systems of any kind. We’re also handicapped by not having access to anything other than a pretty rudimentary set of tools.

I’ve research about as much online as I can find but just about every one have to do with just ONE jack and the overwhelming number concern being unable to retract a “stuck” jack.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions???????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #2

I have a 310 system so don't know if the 325 is similar or not. First check the manual v release valves on the solenoids to make sure they are shut tight. Do the rear jacks work when you push either side? They work in pairs such as both on the same side or both on the front or back. Check the plugs on the solenoids to make sure they haven't came loose. Also google HWH 325 and there will be troubleshooting guides and diagrams. Of course you will have to be able to understand the diagrams. I know not everyone can figure them out and if you can't perhaps someone close by you could help you put.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for the reply! Neither of the rear jacks will operate when leveling side to side or front to back. I just checked to make sure the manual release valves were shut tight, which they were, and the wiring seemed to be okay as well with no loose connections that I could find.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #4

First thing to do is, if you don't already have the tech manual for your system, is to go to the Welcome to HWH Corporation site and download the service manual for your system, there is a lot of troubleshooting info in their manual.
Next, you can contact one of their employees that frequents this site and offers free help to anyone.
You can contact him (Paul (AZPETE)) at pfmaddox@att.net or call him at 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message. He has helped many people on this site and I am sure he can help you. He helped me a lot.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for your help! I downloaded the troubleshooting manual for my system which leads me to believe the control box needs to be replaced. I sent Paul an email to make sure he concurs before shelling out $900 or so for a new control box.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
Thanks for your help! I downloaded the troubleshooting manual for my system which leads me to believe the control box needs to be replaced. I sent Paul an email to make sure he concurs before shelling out $900 or so for a new control box.
Good. Before you think new, think rebuilt by HWH - save you a lot.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Good. Before you think new, think rebuilt by HWH - save you a lot.
I sure will! Thanks!!
Old 09-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
Commercial Member

avery, please call me. 602 549 3638
i dont believe its the control box

i can help.
paul maddox.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
My wife and I own a 2004 Itasca Sunrise 34D with an HWH 325 series leveling system. We are currently in the middle of a trip “moochdocking” at my wife’s aunt and uncle’s place in Texas. The trip out here was uneventful with the jacks working normally at our one and only stop enroute. When we arrived in Texas, however, we could not get the rear HWH leveling jacks to deploy even though the pump “sounded” normal. Fortunately, we are in a relatively flat area and were able to block the rear wheels and lower the front jacks to get the coach reasonably level. I’ve checked the fluid level and and it seems to be okay, which is about the sum total of my knowledge when it comes to hydraulic systems of any kind. We’re also handicapped by not having access to anything other than a pretty rudimentary set of tools.

I’ve research about as much online as I can find but just about every one have to do with just ONE jack and the overwhelming number concern being unable to retract a “stuck” jack.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions???????
We have a similar problem with jacks that sometimes deploy and retract and sometimes don't, or they stop part way through the process. In our case, we've been told it is the control panel. But the repair place told me that HWH was "the second worst company to deal with," as the service manager put it. He says he's called them half a dozen times trying to get a replacement part and has yet to actually talk to anyone. Maybe that's neither here nor there.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post

i can help.
paul maddox.
Thanks, Paul! I’ve downloaded the documents that you suggested. We’re on the road right now and should be there sometime Friday afternoon. I’ll get in touch with you then.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post

i can help.
paul maddox.

A little update.......

Paul was correct. The control box appears to be fine. Both rear solenoids have shorted out, apparently from the rear jacks not retracting completely. The fix is to replace the two solenoids and repair/replace the two rear jacks.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #12

Thanks for the update.
I sent all 4 of my solenoids in for rework and I think the bill was the same as one reman'd solenoid. They only charge for what they repair. When I am in Iowa next I will stop at HWH and have all 4 of my cylinders reman'd.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the rear jacks wont retract at all with new solenoids, that is one problem, but if they retract slowly that is another problem which more often than not is that the seal where the ram goes into the cylinder dries out and there is increased drag on the ram. The cure I have found for this is to first make sure the area around the seal is clear of debris, then spray the seal liberally with WD-40 even allowing the WD-40 to run down the rams. Then try and retract the jacks. It may take a time or two of doing this before the jacks retract as quickly as they should. I have been doing this for years, and even with the original springs on my jacks, they all retract within two minutes. As I and others have found out, the slower the jacks retract, the longer the solenoid is open, and the more heat in the solenoid, the shorter the life of the solenoid.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Before you spend your money with HWH try these folks: HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
Great to talk with and very knowledgeable. Good prices and fast delivery time.
Rick Y

Tags
hwh, jacks, rear