Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rear Inner Tire Tire Stem Extension

Greetings and Salutations;
Driving a 2015 Newmar, Canyon Start 3911.
I am looking to see if anyone has a specific source or other info about installing an extension to the rear tires?
Preference is stainless steel?
Thanks
John in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #2

Watching
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

Upper right type in search and info will pop up. There is one supplier that a lot of members use. Good set of extensions run about $100
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #4

Hi John-

There are 2 schools of thought: extensions (especially the braided ones) are evil, and solid, long length (and angled) valve stems - the Borg brand seems to get a lot of love but there are others.

Everything is a trade off, right? Here's the trade: with extensions there are failures and having one while underway will ruin your travel day, but your wheels can be balanced with the regular short stems and then the extensions added on. With the solid-ish stems, balancing is a whole 'nother matter, as they stick out and don't have a means of support other than the nut that holds and seals them to the wheel. When you mount the wheels to the axle, Borg has a rubber insert for the outside wheel hole that the stem goes through, but it's not there for balancing... so successful use of the long stems may require "balancing beads" or other type of wheel balance method. Talk to your RV tire dealer.

I have the braided extensions on my Class C and had a failure, but it was the short stem and not the extension that failed. I think the key to the braided extensions is to replace them every couple of years while inspecting the side walls of your dual tires... That said, I'm inclined to replace mine with the Borg stems this spring when I put new tires on the drive axle.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #5

DANG! I never thought of THAT! - Balancing issues when using the long solid valve stems..Shoot..how do the shops balance them then?

I too was planning on getting the long solid valve stems when I replace my tires but never thought about the logistics of doing that. So do the shops have a way of balancing them or like you said Solo-RV-Guy...you just have to use beads?

Dang the things we learn here is amazing.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
DANG! I never thought of THAT! - Balancing issues when using the long solid valve stems..Shoot..how do the shops balance them then?

I too was planning on getting the long solid valve stems when I replace my tires but never thought about the logistics of doing that. So do the shops have a way of balancing them or like you said Solo-RV-Guy...you just have to use beads?

Dang the things we learn here is amazing.
Dynamic balancing with the Borg or similar stems is something that didn't get a lot of mention other than "we used balance beads." Beads may require a different Schrader valve in the stems, but Borg has a lot of info (and a phone number answered by real people!) on their web site.

I suspect that tire shops that do a lot of RV work have a really old guy or really young guy that has this figured out, though. It's worth making some phone calls - some shops won't install them, others will do it without regard to balance, and yet others will have a full explanation of the various trade offs and solutions. We like those kinds of tire dealers.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #7

Get the solid SS valve stems from Borg or? and then get Centramatic wheel balancers
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

If you have the correct tools you do not need the extensions.Click image for larger version

Name:	9C5EF3F4-9083-4D2C-B60F-E36B89829852.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	271658

Click image for larger version

Name:	E24DE0C6-CC5F-489D-A797-F0A81D313456.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	271659
Truckerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had long stems that were made for the inside dually on our previous coach. When we replaced the tires, the tire dealer balanced them with no trouble and we never had any at any time. I will not use any extensions at any time.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerdave View Post
If you have the correct tools you do not need the extensions.Attachment 271658

Attachment 271659
You do if you want to use any TPMS sensors. That's the problem I had.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #11

The whole key to flexible extensions is installation. We've had SS flexible extensions on the ol Bounder for 18 years with no air loss issues.

Richard
Old 01-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #12

Tire Extensions

We had problems with the extensions on our new Bay Star. Leaked and then wouldn't let me add air. Changed them out for the solid "Dually Valves." Worth the installation money not to have the problem.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #13

I got the long valve stems from Always Shiny Wheels https://www.shinyrv.com/ and I like them. I had the braided extensions and they started leaking and gave me a lot of problems. Two years with the long stems and I'm still happy.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:10 AM   #14

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
I have experienced problems, and have replaced 2 tires, using the braided extensions. I went to a truck tire shop to have them custom bend and install solid stems for my wheels. On one of their work benches, they must have had over a hundred of the braided extensions that they had removed from other vehicles when they were replacing their tires. A solid extension is much better. However, it must be properly supported to keep it from moving when you are driving.

I have since installed TPMS sensors on all wheels.

With respect to balancing, use balancing beads or Centramatic balancers.