Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
After getting stone chips as high as 6' on the front of my custom painted enclosed trailer, I removed the factory Ad flap and paid over $800 to repair the paint job. 2000 miles later with no flap, there was still no paint chips on my fresh paint. My son went through the same thing with his Mountain Aire. Same result when the flap was removed. His new Newell did not have a flap on it or it would have been the first thing to come off. The only thing needed are the small individual flaps behind the drive or tag wheels. I've seen some that have nothing at all and no stone damage to the toad. Some like to have that big advertising flap on their coach, but it has served no useful purpose on any coach I have owned.

First MH did not have a flap and the toad got chips on it. Second MH has a flap and no chipped paint on the toad.

My experience is just one persons testimonial that the flap helped.

I am still open to some real analysis
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #16

To each his own. I suggest you look at the lower edge of the rear mud flap. If it has no wear marks you are ok. If it shows any marks it is throwing rocks. That simple. This is not rocket science. Do a search and you can find plenty of people that posted pictures showing front of tow covered with rocks when they went to Alaska. Some people over think this.

Enjoy the journey
Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
First thing I got rid of was the long mud flap with mfg. name. No regrets. If you go to Alaska or drive on gravel roads save your toad some damage. Get rid of it.

??? Does this kick rocks up at your toad?
Old 06-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #18

Depending on the location of your radiators and the airflow of your particular coach, a rear mudflap may create an engine overheat situation. Ours is mounted factory mounted just behind the rear axle and goes from the rear of one wheel well all the way across to the other side. Putting a mudflap rearward of the engine on our coach would result in a restriction of the airflow from the radiators and over heating.

Research for your particular make/model before adding one in the wrong place.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
First MH did not have a flap and the toad got chips on it. Second MH has a flap and no chipped paint on the toad.

My experience is just one persons testimonial that the flap helped.

I am still open to some real analysis
Why would you need more "real analysis"? You have said you get no chips with the big flap. I know I eliminated the chip damage by removing it. My analysis tells me I don't need one. Your's says you do. What more analysis is needed?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Why would you need more "real analysis"? You have said you get no chips with the big flap. I know I eliminated the chip damage by removing it. My analysis tells me I don't need one. Your's says you do. What more analysis is needed?

One persons testimonial is not statistically based. I generally do not trust testimonials including my own
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
One persons testimonial is not statistically based. I generally do not trust testimonials including my own
So you're saying that even though you have no stone chips on your toad with a coach that has a big flap, you don't believe it? If someone were to produce a statistically accurate analysis that proved that the big flap caused more damage than it prevented, would you take yours off knowing that you had damage without the flap??
Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #22

If the mud flap is hung wrong (too close to the ground) it can create a wind tunnel effect and or hit the ground and throw loose rocks at your toad. If it is hung correctly, it can stop the rocks that get past the dually mud flaps and also help stop things like lumber in the road from getting to your radiator.
Ours did a great job of keeping the squirrel we hit from ending up on the front of our CRV. It covered the back mud flap.
I also think a custom design can add to your coach.
NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #23

Common sense will tell you if hung properly and not dragging, also clearing dips it will provide extra protection in addition to mud flaps. If you pay attention to most of the ones on the road they are hung too low kicking up dust and rocks....Same for dual mud flaps if hung to low they kick up rocks which is not caused by the tires... I have both and experienced no problems thus far...
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
Common sense will tell you if hung properly and not dragging, also clearing dips it will provide extra protection in addition to mud flaps. If you pay attention to most of the ones on the road they are hung too low kicking up dust and rocks....Same for dual mud flaps if hung to low they kick up rocks which is not caused by the tires... I have both and experienced no problems thus far...
My stone damage ended when I took that big flap off. On top of that, my current coach does not have the small flaps behind the tag wheels and I still did not have stone damage on my freshly painted enclosed trailer. My point is that in my case the big rubber flap served no useful purpose and cost me over $800 to repair its damage. There is no indication that it was dragging and it's no longer causing damage sitting on the ground next to my shop.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post

My flap was well hung () and I would constantly find small pebbles on my windshield wipers. Now I don't.
My car got just as dirty in wet weather with the flap as without.
That flap is just the equivalent of a big gold chain necklace.