Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #1

Rear Outside tires will not take air.

Was checking the tires on the Thor as tomorrow it finds a new home. The rear outside tires on both sides would not take more than 72 psi. The inside rear and front air up to 85 or so. The tires in question have a bracket clipped to the wheel to hold the valve stem in place. Hit 72 psi and that's it.
Tried 4 different nozzles on the air hose, removed the clip, and even took my glasses off. Nope........nada. When you take the nozzle off the stem, you get that distinctive "pop" from air pressure. If it's something really simple or I'm being stupid, just send a message.
What say the gurus?
tickfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfarm View Post
Was checking the tires on the Thor as tomorrow it finds a new home. The rear outside tires on both sides would not take more than 72 psi. The inside rear and front air up to 85 or so. The tires in question have a bracket clipped to the wheel to hold the valve stem in place. Hit 72 psi and that's it.
Tried 4 different nozzles on the air hose, removed the clip, and even took my glasses off. Nope........nada. When you take the nozzle off the stem, you get that distinctive "pop" from air pressure. If it's something really simple or I'm being stupid, just send a message.
What say the gurus?
Oh, I know there's gonna at least be one of ya......Yes I removed the cap.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

What compressor are you using to air them up?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
What compressor are you using to air them up?
craftsman. It aired up the other 4 tires from the 70's to the mid 80's. Will stop in the morning at a tire shop and let them give it a try. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tickfarm"......Take a short extension, even a plastic one off of another car, install it and try to air it up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

It's not clear (to me) if you were able to put any air in the outside tires out if there were already at 72#. If you haven't put any air in, you mentioned a clip holding the valve stem...I assume that is an extension valve stem? If so, sounds like it may be partially unscrewed from the original stem or just faulty.
Allen_C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
It's not clear (to me) if you were able to put any air in the outside tires out if there were already at 72#. If you haven't put any air in, you mentioned a clip holding the valve stem...I assume that is an extension valve stem? If so, sounds like it may be partially unscrewed from the original stem or just faulty.
Actually, the problem tires are probably both inside since the clips are designed to hold them in place because of the extensions. They did take some air, but when they hit 72 or so, that was it. I did check the extensions and both were tight. I'm thinking maybe my 15 year old craftsman compressor may be a little light or just doesn't have enuff umpf to push air that far. Thanks for the response.

Tags
tires