Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2023, 05:52 AM   #1

Rear Tire questions

I am replacing the rear tires on the 92 Monaco. I am torn between "traction" tires and "all position". Im inclined to go with traction tires as they just seem like a better choice than the typical tire (that looks like it would struggle significantly with a little mud in a campsite.

Anyone have any experience with putting "traction tires" on the back? Is that just intended for snow? Im a hyper-miler...will it kill fuel mileage?

As always, thanks for any insight.
idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2023, 06:00 AM   #2

Your coach was designed and came originally with all position tires.

So, barring a specific unique requirement, that is what I would recommend.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Your coach was designed and came originally with all position tires.

So, barring a specific unique requirement, that is what I would recommend.
Thanks wolfe...Aside from sticking with the OEM style...is there any positives or negative to using a traction tire on the rear?
idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiocracy View Post
Thanks wolfe...Aside from sticking with the OEM style...is there any positives or negative to using a traction tire on the rear?

The negatives: more noise, very likely poorer handling (more tire squirm).

The positive is slightly better traction in snow and off-road (though driving a heavy coach in mud with any tire will likely get you stuck).
Old 02-09-2023, 10:37 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
I thought the same as OP and tried traction tires on my Empress DP. It caused wild oversteer which scared the daylights out of me, even on dry pavement. I made one 800 mile trip with them, took them off and replaced them at my destination with all-position tires for the ride home. I have no regrets about the money I threw away.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

"Traction" is diametrically opposed to "High Mileage" or "Fuel Economy" tire design. All-Position tires are a compromise of all of those things.

A traction tire may have some slight advantage on a grass/mud campsite or even a wet or snowy road, but it's not going to be night & day difference and you will likely pay for it in fuel economy.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
99.4% of the time you'll be driving on pavement where these offer no benefit. My vote would be to go with the majority, and not push your luck driving where the other .6% is.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear, tire