Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

rear view camera

i would like to know how to install camera and run the wires to the front of coach. Thank you, Bob a old Marine
oklahomabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have fiberglass rear end cap, crawl under it and shine light up. There may be enough space between cap and rear wall for power and coax. If so drill 3/8 hole at camera location, drop wire in-between cap and rear wall to frame level then run inside plastic electrical conduit tywrapped to anything that dosen't move till you reach front suspension, convert to flex duct till you reach good point to penetrate under or in dash. Spend a LOT of time underneath till you are sure. Planning takes the most time.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomabob View Post
i would like to know how to install camera and run the wires to the front of coach. Thank you, Bob a old Marine
It would help to know what coach you have and if it ever had a rear view camera.

If the coach originally came with a camera it will have a bulge for the cameral housing like the one in the picture below. The camera housing is below the three top clearance lights and the mural.

It will also already have the cabling.

If not prepped for a camera you will have to decide where to mount it and drill some mounting holes very carefully. You don't want to drill through any existing wiring so only go through the skin. Then you'll need to decide where to run the cable. It may have to go through the bays, underneath the coach, or perhaps even over the roof.

When I replaced my camera system I used the original cable with a suitable adapter connection.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwildman...g the rear.pdf
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomabob View Post
Buy a wireless camera. Take 12 volt from light of license in rear and get it from the cig lighter or other 12volt source in the cab. Works real nice
wingman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
wingman, do you know of a good wireless video system?
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
wingman, do you know of a good wireless video system?
I picked up a VR3 backup camera for another view from the motor home. The factory unit is limited to the toad view and that's about all.

The unit is VRBCS300W. They have a 800 number 445-1797. I don't know what they cost, I bought mine from a friend really cheap, but it does work great. I havn't looked on line for one, you might do that.

Each end, the screen and the camera need 12 volts to work but no wires to run between them. Good luck, Don
wingman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob, I've been looking for back-up camera solution as well. The original 'walked off' and the cable was cut in the process. Must have been a big mouse.

Wingman, thank-you. I like the idea of wireless - I hate holes in my RV.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
"Semper Fi"
Wingnude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnude View Post
"Semper Fi"
Did you take my backup camera at Hunting Island near Parris Island? If so, it was junk and you are welcome to it.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #10

thanks for the input oorah semper fi
oklahomabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera