Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

rear view camera

Got my camera set up today. Have asked before about wireing. What about running the cable from the cameras on top of the roof and down the thru the outlet to the antenna up front instead of under neath the coach. Held in place by heavy tape instead of drilling holes to stablise. would be a shorter route
. maybe the other camera set up to the hitch would be ran under chasse thanks for the input. bob
oklahomabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

I'm sure it would work if you can find the right type of tape. I ran a Sirius antenna wire for a much shorter distance up the side of the rv. I tucked it into a moulding and then caulked on top of it. You don't even know it is there. I do have an antenna wire that runs loose for about 2 feet. If you have a gusting cross wind it will pick it up and slap it against the roof. It doesn't happen often but it is on my short list of irritating things that need fixed. What type of roof do you have? That might help some of the more experiened guys on here help you out.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #3

rear camera

It has a rubber roof
oklahomabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Many motorhomes have a pretty large empty space between the rear cap and the actual back of the. Bus. No problem to drop the cable down, then run it along the chassis up to the front.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
And i'd really avoid making any hols in a rubber roof. I supose you could stick it down with eternabond tape, but better to just get it underneath as soon as possible.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Running it down the back and under the coach is much easier than you might think. The rear cap is exactly that, a cap and usually about 6-12 inches from the actual rear of the coach. Most of the cables that come with the cameras are about 60' in length so you have plenty of cable. The hardest problem is getting up thru the bottem to the dash. All you do for that is go thru the same hole as all the other cables coming up then reseal the area with some Stuff. Thats about 3 hours of work, have fun.

Tags
camera