Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rear View cameras for MH

My old Motorhome has a B/W rear camera system that has poor resolution. I think I would like a new color system but don't wish to spend a fortune on it. What is out there that others have used and are satisfied with?

Capt Frank
capt Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Black and white is all you need for the few times you
will need one. If you have a spotter when you back up,
you don't need one at all, just have walkie-talkies.
JMHO.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #3

I replaced mine with a camera and monitor from RVCams. Using a Voyager camera and Totevision color display. These are a bit pricey but give RVCams a look. Might have some less expensive setups. They are very helpful.

I use the backup camera while backing and also for freeway driving. I put two horizontal lines on the monitor. One indicates when the back of the rig is three feet from a given object. The other indicates when I can return to the outside lane after passing someone.

Good luck.
jor
joraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

RVS-7706033 | Camera System | Rear View Safety
Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soneil422 View Post
That is the one I used to replace the B/W Voyager that died for the second time for me, cost in the $200.00 range through Costco. I did a write up on my project and have some pictures in the gallery.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I've used 2 of these, Amazon.com: Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213: Automotive, on my previous TT and my current 5th wheel. I really like the quality of the systems from Rear View Safety.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
The B/W Voyager camera on my 2001 Sea View quit working on the trip to my current location. I contacted the company and told them I had already checked all the fuses and there was power to the monitor but the screen was black. They basically told me to buy a new camera.
Any less expensive ideas?
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
same question

I am also planning to update/upgrade the rear camera system on an older (2000 model) DP RV. The little b&w CRT monitor is dim, has a blurry picture and is poorly located. The camera is built in, housed in a fairing at the top end of the rear body cap, and looking at the trailer hitch. I haven't taken it apart to see what sort of cabling is there, but assume it's a coax of some sort. I do not want to try to fish a new cable through the overhead.

Would like to find a good camera that I can mount in the same spot, but aimed a bit higher so I can see not only the hitch but what I am towing. Must be able to use the existing cable, but could probably change connectors on the ends pretty easily.

Dash unit should be large enough to see easily and clearly without leaning forward from driving posture and must have a sharp picture with dimming capability. I will move the monitor to a better location, probably on top of the instrument panel. Don't care if it's color or not as long as resolution and clarity are good.

Has anybody done this before? All suggestions are appreciated, even the don't do this kind, except for the "get a spotter" idea, since I frequently enjoy driving solo.
captzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought an INTEC system for my 1989 HR, primarily because that came as an option that year and the unit was wired for it with a "12 pin" hookup!? Really?
Anyway, glad I did because it was reasonably priced and the high resolution black and white camera works great in low light, and the contrast really helps to pick up details.
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by captzoom View Post
I am also planning to update/upgrade the rear camera system on an older (2000 model) DP RV. The little b&w CRT monitor is dim, has a blurry picture and is poorly located. The camera is built in, housed in a fairing at the top end of the rear body cap, and looking at the trailer hitch. I haven't taken it apart to see what sort of cabling is there, but assume it's a coax of some sort. I do not want to try to fish a new cable through the overhead.

Would like to find a good camera that I can mount in the same spot, but aimed a bit higher so I can see not only the hitch but what I am towing. Must be able to use the existing cable, but could probably change connectors on the ends pretty easily.

Dash unit should be large enough to see easily and clearly without leaning forward from driving posture and must have a sharp picture with dimming capability. I will move the monitor to a better location, probably on top of the instrument panel. Don't care if it's color or not as long as resolution and clarity are good.

Has anybody done this before? All suggestions are appreciated, even the don't do this kind, except for the "get a spotter" idea, since I frequently enjoy driving solo.
I'd agree that a spotter isn't the best answer...occasionally you need one but it doesn't work for some situations like solo, etc.

The cable in the MH should "probably" be ok to use with color. Yes, connectors may need changed. I've heard of wireless units but seems like "IF" they work you'd still want to use power from your original cable.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Least expensive camera solution is debatable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
The B/W Voyager camera on my 2001 Sea View quit working on the trip to my current location. I contacted the company and told them I had already checked all the fuses and there was power to the monitor but the screen was black. They basically told me to buy a new camera.
Any less expensive ideas?
Replacing the camera may BE the cheapest solution given the low prices of cameras. If you have more time than money (as many of us do) I'd suggest you find a temporary cable to run from monitor to camera to see if there's a problem in the cable. If that doesn't help then I'd suggest trying to find/borrow a monitor or camera to see which is the real culprit that way. Although I had a 20 year old setup that worked fine I'd think with the age and given today's low prices for electronics you may be needing to just bite the bullet.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
5" inch Touchscreen Car GPS Navigator w Wireless Rearview Back Up Camera 3 Type | eBay

I brought one of this for my work van; I brought it, mainly for GPS but the rear-view camera work pretty well. (actually more for a security reason)
I purchased the last one he had last week; I plan to install this one on my MH; hopefully; next week.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt Frank View Post
My old Motorhome has a B/W rear camera system that has poor resolution. I think I would like a new color system but don't wish to spend a fortune on it. What is out there that others have used and are satisfied with?Capt Frank
If you read the specs on most camera & monitors you will see that most have 480 TV lines which is not much improvement over what you have. The Weldex has 600 lines and great resolution but is expensive. I put the Weldex system on as my original was going bad. It is a better picture but not enough difference to spend the $$$ unless you have to.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #14

My problem is neither the camera or monitor. Its the cable end that attaches to the back of the monitor. How can this situation be fixed when the cable goes over the ceiling ? Cant remove the ceiling anybody know the answer to this one ?
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera