Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #29

I do a lot of my own repairs and have owned both side and rear radiators, at 74 years old I would choose side radiators every time, rear is OK but I am not as flexible as I used to be.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I do a lot of my own repairs and have owned both side and rear radiators, at 74 years old I would choose side radiators every time, rear is OK but I am not as flexible as I used to be.
I hear you. Not quite at 74 yet but doing the slinky under there working around my rear PITA radiator has me at a point where I pop a few Advil, make a cup of coffee, wait 20 minutes and THEN go under there.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Lots of reasons that a side radiator(SR) is a more efficient/better

5th, RR's have direct drive fans, robbing HP/MPG, SR's have HYD/Electric fans that don't take engine HP to run! (most, not all)

Rail!
I agree w your conclusion and most of the points you mention. I wonder about your #5 however...
Where does the energy come from to run the hydraulic pump? Doesn't it come from the engine... there really is no "free" energy and I think you pointed out the SRs actually need more cooling than RRs.
I don't know the details but will guess more HP read to cool larger SR engines?
What am I missing / ovetlooking?
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Nothing. The laws of physics still apply.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Nothing. The laws of physics still apply.
That's true, but the hyd pump is still necessary for the steering, so if fan doesn't have to run at high speed to cool radiator, less hp is required by the engine to run the pump.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Why is it " just expected"? Thinking the average Newell buyer would not really care about where the radiator is, as long as it worked.
I'd bet that Newell will have a side radiator.

I don't know about others, but I would expect it. Look at any line of diesel powered coaches and the lower priced models have rear radiators and some where up the model line up they switch to side radiators. I know it's not HP related because you can find the same engines in rear and side radiator configuration.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I'd bet that Newell will have a side radiator.

I don't know about others, but I would expect it. Look at any line of diesel powered coaches and the lower priced models have rear radiators and some where up the model line up they switch to side radiators. I know it's not HP related because you can find the same engines in rear and side radiator configuration.
Agree in the lower powered, smaller displacement small to medium size engines.

But as I mentioned, the bigger displacement, ISX, ISM, C-12, 13, 15. Series 60 engines, even in lower line coaches had side radiators. On the other side, even the cheapest model, smallest engine Foretravels and most Country Coaches had side radiators. Go figure.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #36

Spartan Chassis
Personal preference

third MH. looked for a side radiator do my own maintenance
side gives me room to work I am old and tired
osull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I agree w your conclusion and most of the points you mention. I wonder about your #5 however...
Where does the energy come from to run the hydraulic pump? Doesn't it come from the engine... there really is no "free" energy and I think you pointed out the SRs actually need more cooling than RRs.
I don't know the details but will guess more HP read to cool larger SR engines?
You are correct, on my 96 Monaco Windsor, the stock fan is powered by the same pump that powers the power steering! But the PO put two big electric fans on the outside of the stack blowing cool air in from the out side, and they do a great job! I have never heard the Hyd. fan kick on one time in the four years I have owned it, been all over the east coast mountains and the west coast in the summer and have never heard it kick on, and the temp. gauge is steady as a rock, running at 190*!
Also, my Windsor has a 8.3 mechanical Cummins and has the side radiator!
I think the electric fans are the future, as in the 2020 Prevost! Rail!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
You are correct, on my 96 Monaco Windsor, the stock fan is powered by the same pump that powers the power steering! But the PO put two big electric fans on the outside of the stack blowing cool air in from the out side, and they do a great job! I have never heard the Hyd. fan kick on one time in the four years I have owned it, been all over the east coast mountains and the west coast in the summer and have never heard it kick on, and the temp. gauge is steady as a rock, running at 190*!
Also, my Windsor has a 8.3 mechanical Cummins and has the side radiator!
I think the electric fans are the future, as in the 2020 Prevost! Rail!
Totally agree, many hyd fans are low and high speed only, and many direct drive fans the same. But with electric, one fan at 180, two fans at 182, three at 185 etc. Need a good size alternator, but think would still be way more efficient than hyd or direct drive.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
In reality, they both work well. I owned a rear radiator coach with a 400 ISL and never had a cooling issue. You won't find lightweight less horsepower coaches with side radiators....just not needed. The larger coaches with large engines can't be sufficiently cooled by a rear radiator, consequently, the need for the side radiator.
Except mine that is :-)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #40
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Except mine that is :-)
Yours isn't a lightweight coach and also falls under the definition of higher end coach in the original Monaco lineup. So for both reasons, your coach got a side radiator. HR Sceptor and Monaco Camelot were the starting points for side radiators in the Monaco lineup.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #41

99% of all Country Coaches had the side radiators even down to the 32' with one exception. In 07 they made the Tribute with a rear radiator but it had a short life.
I do all my own service so a side radiator was a must, love it.

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #42

American Coach Owners Club
One might ask themselves, as to where does a manufacture spend the money, after the WOW factors are put in and every other quality feature that they can think of is installed for attracting only the discriminating buyer.
Answer....An upgraded chassis with the side radiator, so all one needs doing when looking for a quality unit, is to go look in the rear, firstly and foremost.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator