Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I think that people that have the time to stretch the travel out and perhaps drive slower are already on "slow down and enjoy the travel" mode. This is a new way of thinking for me and I'm adapting quite nicely!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #16

Before retiring I would normally run 10 or 11 hours a day but in the last couple of years I now like to keep driving to a max of 5 hours a day, I find I am much more relaxed which equals driving at lower speeds.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
DW and I have for the last 15 years gone on vacationwantingto spend as much time at our destination. (OK well I did)so we would drive straight through no matter where we went. switching over drivers at fuel stops .One slept while the other drove.No more this retirement stuff gives me the choice to get there when I get there. I like it I want to enjoy every stop to meet new folks and relax!
Old 01-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I prefer 8 hours of drive time per day but sometimes I'll go 10 or 11. Seldom am I in a hurry, I just find driving enjoyable. A god day is on the road at 8 am and set up before 5 pm. If I cover 500 miles per day, that's great. I stop every few hours for a few minutes to stretch but like to be in the crib at night.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
Ok, I’m a slow learner and it has taken me 10 months to figure out why so many RVers like to get in by either 330 miles or 3:30 (15:00), whichever comes first. It seems that the underlying reasons are:

1. RVs get better MPG by going slower, so folks go 60 to 65 MPH as this saves fuel. (This may become more important in the coming to years if energy policies change and drive up fuel prices.)

2. RVs are easier to drive at slower speeds, i.e., 60-65 MPH than at faster speeds. This puts less wear and tear on the driver, but also limits the daily range. (This may be less of an issue with newer coaches and Prevosts, but that is not what we have.)

In my light vehicle, travel days of 700-800 miles are not out of the question, but the pace is not limited by the above factors and wear and tear on the driver is substantially lower. This results in fewer rest stops which are range killers.

In our first 10 months of RV ownership, we have driven more than 330 miles on at least 5 days and gotten in after 3:30 at least as many times and after dark at least 4 times.

Reflecting back on the year, I am beginning to see why folks limit travel days. We may change our pattern to allow extra travel days to get to destinations rather than busting it to get there. Almost certainly, when we transition to FT at retirement, we will plan this way as there will be fewer limitations on our time and more on our resources.

Speaking only for ourselves, we just aren't in a big hurry. Six hours, give or take, on the road are enough for one day. We have occasionally had a longer day out west, but usually it's around 300-350 miles in a day, or less.

Also, setting up in the dark is not on our list of things to do. Watching the sun go down with a cold one, is! - Paul
Old 01-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
As mentioned by R Wold, my night vision is not what it used to be. So I try not to drive at night. A second reason I don't like driving at night is the rest stops are jammed with trucks, so no good place to stop, relieve myself, and walk around the coach (stretch my legs!)

In the old days, my wife and kids would be packed and ready to roll the second I pulled into the driveway after work on Friday. I would drive all night, drinking coffee and eating a sandwich behind the wheel. What a difference a few years of age makes in what I can do and what I want to do! These days, we have the coach ready in front of the house the night before, so all we have to do is pour a cup of coffee and warm up the coach, then head out. 300 miles (sometimes as much as 400, but that's pushing it) and off the highway by mid afternoon. On road days, I like to have most things readied the night before, so mornings are easy-going.

65 mph max, but 62 is my real comfort zone. And yes, the martini (shaken, not stirred) is my preferred snack between 4 and 5 PM!

Retirement really does change things.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 01-08-2021, 06:41 AM   #21

Retirement will change how we use our MH significantly. Although living in South Central Texas the first legs of our trips will probably be pretty long, just to get out of the state. once out we have new things to see and look forward to slowing down and smelling the roses. We hope to buy some property in western Colorado because leaving that part of the country as a base, you have access to quite a bit and don’t lose that first day of drive time just getting out of Texas LOL
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Breakdowns at night are much more dangerous than daylight..... rest stops, and truck stops are usually full as the truckers stop for the night. Construction road closures and detours are much more common at night....all reasons to travel only in daylight.

Fuel economy is much better going 60-65 mph.... the slowest speed where your transmission shifts into the highest gear.

Deep vein thrombosis is a real thing....even for younger folks....you don’t want to be sitting for hours and hours.

Life is about making wise choices.....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #23

First I have heard of 330/3:30. since I retired I like the 2-2-2. 200 miles.....arrive by 2:00 o'clock and stay at least 2 days. yes we stretch the drive at times but you animals that drive 12 a day are amazing! I haven't been able to do that since my 30's. Go the pace you prefer and enjoy the trip!
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:53 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
We quit flying because of airports and TSA. Dealing with getting in and out of airports, getting on and off airplanes starts a trip off and ends a trip miserably.

I like night driving on roads that I am familiar with to get through big cities without the traffic.

If I leave the house at 9pm, I can get through Atlanta and Nashville inbetween rush hours and stop at the Welcome center as the big trucks are pulling out.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
I too try my best to live by our 300/3:00 rule.

I drive 64 with our coach as it seems to be the "Sweet spot" for power and mileage for our 36' coach.

Prior to the RV I was always pushing the speed limits on the Interstates and trying to "Make Time" but in the RV it's set the cruise and be thinking 10 - 20 cars ahead, always checking the rearview camera(s) at a leisurely pace.

We stop every 2-3 hours for bathroom and stretch breaks, typically in a rest area or pulling off for a sit-down lunch, exploring, etc...

RV'ing is much like flying for me where I used to plan a flight ant known altitude and speed accounting for a weather forecast, climb to altitude, set the power, and be very comfortable in knowing I'd be arriving at a given time. Pushing the throttles forward in the plane never really got us there a lot faster but ALWAYS used a lot more fuel while putting additional wear and tear on the aircraft!

Stay safe and have fun getting to your destination!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #26

I drove Tractor Trailer's mostly for 25 years and can't get out of the "Get up the road" mentality. I really try to slow down when I am in the RV (don't get me wrong, I don't speed, and never did) but I just want to get to my destination and have the drive behind me.

I do try to keep it to no more than 10 hours behind the wheel and I want to be off the road before dark if at all possible because the headlights in my coach are not very good. I love driving this thing more than any road tractor I was ever assigned though, I can tell you that and having the wife along is a nice bonus as well

Maybe when we both can retire, I will learn how to on do 400 miles a day, but now I'm still easing on down the interstate so I can spend more time at my destination. I envy you full time guys.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #27

We plan our routes using 300 miles as the norm. Using google earth I plot out 300 miles and look for CGs around the 300 mile mark. I have the Passport America, Thousand Trails and Corp of Engineers KMZ files in google earth so I can see plenty of available CGs around the 300 mile mark.
On travel day I leave the CG around 9am so I'm not in the rush hour of most locales and we stop every few hours to let me and the pup stretch our legs. When we hit 300 miles, it's usually around 3pm. I prefer to stay put for a couple days to unwind before the next leg of our trip. I drive around 62mph.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:25 AM   #28

Typically we drive 200, or less, miles per day. If traveling to a specific location over several days we will stop for one night then for two nights at the next stop. We typically leave a CG between 10:00 to 12:00AM. I want to be set up and have a cocktail by 4:00PM. Being retired time is not so important except when one of the grand kids are getting married. We normally travel during the week. Our trips usually run between 4 to 6 months.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote