Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #1

Reasons why my next MH is going to be gas powered

I hope this might help someone, who struggles with this question.

Let's start with the fact that I used to have the 2012 Navion 24M on the Sprinter chassis. I bought the MH new and I enjoyed it for 7 full years. I loved everything about it, except the fact that it wobbled quite a bit, and the fact I needed just a little bit more space.

In the interest of providing absolutely a full picture I will also share that my everyday vehicle is a 2014 diesel powered Mercedes SUV, and I also like it a lot.

Here is what is important. I recently went to the Mercedes dealer and I wanted to buy a new SUV, also diesel powered, to my surprise they told me, they no longer bring them to the USA because the EPA forces them to bolt so much extra equipment to achieve proper emission standards that their diesel engines lost their reliability as a result of issues with the extra equipment. I was fairly disappointed to hear that to say the least.

Hearing about the issues, I started talking to my friends about reliability of their almost new DPs. Here is what I learned.

Oh yea, we had problems. We were stranded in the middle of nowhere due to emission system failure, another one, the engine light came on due to emission sensor failure, and yet another one the engine went into a limp mode. A number of very depressing comments.

The failures were not the most important factor but inability to find competent services station that wanted to work on RVs was really concerning. Even if a near by truck repair station agreed to work on the MH, they were not happy to deal with removing the bed. In addition sometimes the repairs lasted days resulting in a need to find a place to sleep. These problems are not uncommon.

One of these friends, as a result of the above issues sold his 2 year old DP and bought a Tiffin 32 SA, and he loves it. I also talked to truck drivers I knew in the past. I did hear about emission equipment problems as well from them.

Hearing about these problems really cured me from wanting a new DP, especially since I still work and I don't have time to be stranded on the road looking for someone to repair my DP. I also thought about buying a pre emission DP, but let's face it, they are getting old.

The other major reason for deciding to buy a 2021 gas coach is the new Ford engine and the changes Ford made to suspension. I hear a lot of positives about the engine, how flat the torque curve is throughout the RPM range resulting in much more quieter engine, and less leaning in the wind due to suspension changes.

Sure, even the new GAS engine does not have comparable torque to a good size DP, but in our length preference 35 feet, most diesel pushers are underpowered. Yes, they have more torque but they are much heavier as well. Don't get me wrong they still hold advantage, at least some of them e.g. Breeze.

In the end, I want a great layout and I want to be able to drive anywhere without fear I will get stranded somewhere without help. the Ford engines can be fixed almost anywhere there is a Ford service or an independent mechanic. That is a big plus.

I should have mentioned that I was prepared to spend a lot of money for a new MH, so it really came to other things like floor plan, reliability, ability to find a place to repair the MH, and finally it will feel good not to be stopping at the dirty track stops to fill up. The biggest problem there is the fact that as soon as you step out of the MH you step into oil saturated pavement or concrete. I really hated that.

I think, after driving a diesel powered MH for 7 years, there will be adjustment to expectations. In Navion I always zoomed by the semi trucks on major inclines. I guess I might have to fall in line with a gas powered engine.

I am now thinking about Tiffin 32 SA, mainly because of long wheelbase, good storage, great floor plan an good looks as well as good cargo capacity.

Again, I hope this helps some in the future. Maybe my next coach say 8 years down the road will be electric who knows. I would love the torque of the electric engine, plus no penalty for density altitude.
soarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

You have some very good points ! which makes me think we have come full circle
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #3

How much can the new Ford chassis pull? Inquiring minds want to know.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #4

For many years UPS has been "the smartest people in the room" when it comes to specifying their package cars which is what they call their walk-in delivery trucks. Those trucks are mechanically close cousins to RV chassis.
For several years I have noticed that they are running gasoline engines. They can't justify the cost of medium duty diesel engines and neither can I. My V10 does just fine, thanks.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #5

The 32SA is also on our list as well. With the optional 24,000 pound chassis, it can theoretically pull up to 6,000 pounds, which would be more than adequate for our needs.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You have done your due diligence and decided what will work for You congratulations and you may be surprised by the performance.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ok, you want another little MH.

Big coaches need big engines, and lot's of torque!

And that my friend is what diesel engines do best !
Old 09-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #8

No complaint s with my pre def oil burner.

Also, in the 6 or 8 fuel stops I've made, all at truck stops, never stepped into a fuel puddle. Maybe I'm lucky.

Everyone must go with what they feel is best. For me at this time that is Diesel.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #9

I understand the OP's post exactly. Before we bought our new 2018 Tiffin 32SA we had a Jayco Seneca diesel Class C on the Freightliner chassis. It was actually underpowered as he mentioned, but that was not really a problem as it still climbed and made it up steep inclines.
But after the fourth time of being stranded because of emission system problems I couldn't take it anymore, couldn't trust it and was afraid to go on trips.
We are now happy and confident going anywhere in our gas powered motorhome. I have nothing against diesel and if I were mechanically inclined would love to have an older DP, but I do understand some people switching to gas.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:53 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a little a secret. New gas engines come loaded with emission systems and electronics. They're just as likely to have issues, like check engine lights and other failures. Oh yeah, your Class A gas is just as difficult to work on via the doghouse or crawling underneath. I've had three DP's since 2005. None of them have ever left me stranded. You may also find it hard to get a gasser mechanically repaired, since there are few Ford dealers that can handle RV's.

I think your research and results were adjusted to fit your needs and budget, as they aren't really based in reality.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we lived in MN somewhere around 2015 or so the brilliant powers that be passed a law that required all diesel sold in the state to contain up to 20% bio blend. We had a Mercedes Sprinter at the time and loved the performance, but MB would not say 20% was OK. The owners manual only allowed up to 5%. Thus, we could not safely fuel up in our state of residence.

That, plus the above mentioned emission controls issues convinced us to sell it while we could. While getting it serviced at a Freightliner dealer the service manager to me because of the emission controls on the engine, he would never buy one himself. Otherwise it was a great engine. We now drive a gasser and love it.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:44 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well my friend then I guess you are going to get a trailer then, because the New Ford Godzilla engine is crapping out according to all the post I've seen. People that have just bought their MH or even truck with the engine and haven't made the first payment are running into issues with parts on back order for months. I have seen several posts of Ford having to take the vehicle back do to not being able to get parts. You need to read the Ford Chassis Forum.
Oh just to help you change your mind you may want to think about the Newmar Canyon Star which has just gone to the FRED Chassis or even move into a Super C with a diesel engine. They are much easier to work on and get better MPG's .
Old 09-25-2020, 05:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Well my friend then I guess you are going to get a trailer then, because the New Ford Godzilla engine is crapping out according to all the post I've seen. People that have just bought their MH or even truck with the engine and haven't made the first payment are running into issues with parts on back order for months. I have seen several posts of Ford having to take the vehicle back do to not being able to get parts. You need to read the Ford Chassis Forum.
Oh just to help you change your mind you may want to think about the Newmar Canyon Star which has just gone to the FRED Chassis or even move into a Super C with a diesel engine. They are much easier to work on and get better MPG's .
Yes, I saw some posts about minor issues, but if I missed something more important please point me to a forum link. I will do another search later today, but links to these issues would be appreciated.
soarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:10 AM   #14

No side taking with me, I'm stuck in the middle.

My experience is similar to the OP's. Second coach was 2000 Winny Journey DP. Initially loved the coach bought it used in 2001. After leaving me on the side of the road for the third time and multiple repair trips I sold it at a substantial loss. The next 15 years of rving were in a V10. Never had a break down or trip to a repair shop.

We are considering full timing in a few years and looking at coaches in the 40 foot range, so DPs. My biggest concern about full timing is DP reliability. I like the quieter, smoother ride, better climbing (some) DP's. We will be towing under 5k pound toad. We plan to spend 1-2 months at each destination as we travel, so climbing, road noise, and driving comfort are not too important.

One of my likes with the DP was easier access to the fuel pumps. 36 foot gasser with toad can be a challenge at many service stations. The diesel pumps at many truck stops (in my opinion) were oily, separate slip on shoes worked to keep the grime out of the coach.

We will be buying used whatever we decide. We can afford to pay cash for any of the coaches we are considering so money is not the issue. Cost of normal maintenance is not an issue. I do see what seems like a lot of posts for major repairs to DPs VS gas. Like $25k and long down times. The cost I can handle with some grumbling but the down time and inconvenience is a big negative. The older I get the more time becomes more precious than money.

So my decision is staying with shorter gas 36-38 foot or 40-42 DP. Will need to ponder this some more over the next 3 years.

Tags
gas, power