Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #29

We started out with a 2005 gas. We then went with a 2008 Four winds Mandalay with the 400 engine. The good thing is our engine has the catalytic converter exhaust. Our engine was manufacture in December 2006. Just before the 2007 mandate for the engine exhaust addition. People have offered to buy it because of the exhaust engine. As an old retired OTR tuck driver I personally prefer the diesel engine with the Jake break. My wife would panic going down mountains with the gas engine. With the diesel she feels much safer. So far we have not had any major problems and never been stranded beside the road.
Whether it is gas or diesel it is up to personnel preference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Never stepped in it but if you ever spill diesel on yourself you will be reminded for the whole day.
I love the smell of diesel...as it smells like $$$$ having made most of mine with diesel powered equipment. Sure if you are happy with “just a little more space” a gasser after a Sprinter will do BUT if you want a lot more space you’re in diesel territory. One of many reasons I own a 08 Navigator is because it has a 06 engine...pre DPF.

The new Ford V8 has 468 torque, up from previous V8s with 400. My Dynasty had 3X that and the 08 has 4X. Once you go over 40’, it’s not personal preference, it’s torque.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:29 AM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This quickly turned into people justifying why they have a gasser and those justifying why they have a diesel. It's ALWAYS a STUPID argument. If you don't like diesels and a gas coach has the power you need.....then buy it. If a diesel is needed for the size of the rig and what you might be towing....then buy a diesel. Neither is right or wrong. The only thing that is wrong, is trying to tell others what they need because that is what you have. Even worse is lame justifications!!!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:45 AM   #32

It would be nice to have best of both worlds. We had a V10 gas in our Georgetown. While it said it would tow 6k it struggled pulling our Jeep Grand Cherokee and the MPG was awful when towing. It was fairly easy to maintain and very gave us problems.

Our next rig will be our full time rig. We need towing capacity first and foremost as we will be pulling a bloated Wrangler. Also since full timing we want something we can put plenty of miles on. For us the sweet spot seems to be a Super C. We also want to only be around 35’ if we can. Problem with lots of Super C is the floor plans suck. They haven’t quite figured that out yet.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Spilled fuel on clothes like food on my shirt can be fixed. These are rolling home after all
But the food does not stink like diesel. It does not go away with 1 wash of the hands or clothing. Im wasting my time even pointing this out.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
It would be nice to have best of both worlds. We had a V10 gas in our Georgetown. While it said it would tow 6k it struggled pulling our Jeep Grand Cherokee and the MPG was awful when towing. It was fairly easy to maintain and very gave us problems.

Our next rig will be our full time rig. We need towing capacity first and foremost as we will be pulling a bloated Wrangler. Also since full timing we want something we can put plenty of miles on. For us the sweet spot seems to be a Super C. We also want to only be around 35’ if we can. Problem with lots of Super C is the floor plans suck. They haven’t quite figured that out yet.
Yes, it is a challenge to find something good in the 35 feet length range. What worried me, in addition to all emission equipment, was that a 33 ft DP has disproprational weight behind the rear axle, and the engine is far out there with all its weight. That coupled with short wheel base make it feel very floaty. I took the 33 breeze for a test drive and I was very disappointed in how it handled. It tried to wonder all over the road, and it required constant correction. Short wheel base is not a good thing. The Super C has better weight distribution. I just don't understand why they still make so much overhang behind the rear axle. The only explanation is to lighten the load on the front axle, but this makes no sense since the Super C tracks are designed to be heavily loaded, so it sounds more like a savings measure of a shorter chassis than anything else.

Since we are on the topic of configuration, a gas Class A with a rear engine would supply more power to the rear axle due to lower energy losses required to transfer the power.
soarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarak View Post
Since we are on the topic of configuration, a gas Class A with a rear engine would supply more power to the rear axle due to lower energy losses required to transfer the power.
Well I read through all of these posts and all I can say is it reminds me of 1968. You remember 1968. That was the year that all cars had to meet a set emission standards. Of course back then it was an air pump and the dredded EGR valve. Followed by the Catalytic Converter and on and on and on.

Every mechanic over 30 years old bitched, said it was never going to work and found ways to defeat the systems. Wish I had a dollar for every EGR that was changed when in fact the problem was a faulty one way vacuum valve. But the point here is that is where we are in the Diesel engine market. The problem is now due to electronic controls you can't just take off. This to will pass.

For all of you younger folks just think that by 2035 you won't have the ability to buy an gas vehicle in CA. So it won't be long after that you won't be buying one anywhere else as well.

Ask CAT? They were smart, or so they thought and elected to not meet the standards on over the road diesels when it was required. But now as I understand it they are being required to do some such as DEF on their off road applications as well. So they dodged the bullet for a couple of years and lost all of the truck and RV market to Cummins only to have to comply anyway.

For those that drive smaller coach's and want to have to talk over the noise of the engine in that dog house party on dudes. But the quietness of a DP is really nice.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Another point in the defense of gasoline engines. Yes, on rare occasion it would be nice to have more torque that is provided by the diesel. But how often does that occur vs. all the additional expense, weight, etc of the diesel?

I have fulltimed for over 18 years in two different gasser motorhomes. The last few years I put approx. 4,000 miles per year on the rig. According to my calculator, my wheels are turning 1% of the calendar year and my wheels are sitting still 99% of the year. If I drove 12,000 miles per year, my wheels would be turning 3% of the calendar year and sitting still 97% of the year. Of that 1% time of driving time, a small fraction is going up or down a large grade.

So IMO, only you can decide if the added expense, weight, service hassle, etc is worth those short moments of time each year. Thankfully, I have learned that topping a hill 1 minute faster, is not a priority to a positive experience living in a motorhome. All the best.

This puts thing in perspective doesn't it!!!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
. The only thing that is wrong, is trying to tell others what they need because that is what you have. Even worse is lame justifications!!!
Im surprised it took this long - especially in the current environment.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #38

We lived fulltime in a gasoline powered coach and loved it. But we still have people tell us that we couldn't have been happy that long in a gas powered RV. The fact is, the scenery is exactly the same traveling the country in any type or brand of RV.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #39

There is another thread going right now called DP Torque/HP. Most prefer diesel pushers because of the power generated by HP and torque. If your coach is not heavy and you are not hauling much and.... you don’t have any desire to climb hills at a decent pace then a gas coach is probably the best for you.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
There is another thread going right now called DP Torque/HP. Most prefer diesel pushers because of the power generated by HP and torque. If your coach is not heavy and you are not hauling much and.... you don’t have any desire to climb hills at a decent pace then a gas coach is probably the best for you.

[mod edit] I can haul 5000#. I don’t need to bring the whole house along. Some of you are fixated on bigger and faster.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Bs with your comment on decent pace. I can haul 5000#. I don’t need to bring the whole house along. Some of you are fixated on bigger and faster.
5000# won't even pull my truck, let alone rv.

Gassers are not meant for heavy towing on the hills. Light loads under 26k, sure, but 40k loads, no way.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Im surprised it took this long - especially in the current environment.
Buy whatever you want...
Sounds like the OP has already made up his mind anyhow.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, power