Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #113

I live in one of the biggest truck market in north America where trucks outsell cars about 3 to 1. Almost every guy I know who buys a new diesel cant wait for the warranty to expire. As soon as it does they do DEF delete kits for many of the reasons you listed.

The kits have pros and cons:
Pros
  • Substantive Increase in Performance
  • Substantive Increase in MPG
  • Lower Maintenance Costs
  • No Fire Risks
  • Less Wear and Tear on Engine
  • No Hassles from ReGen Cycles
Cons
  • Voids Warranty Coverage
  • Arguably Illegal in Any Case
  • Increases Pollution
  • Automatic Failure at Inspection Stations
  • Requires PCM Reprogramming
We dont have pollution inspection stations where I live but obviously something like this would be problematic in several states.
GoWestMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #114

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I dont know if this is relative to the question or not but our 2019 30 foot thor pulls 7000 pounds on the trailer hitch approx. 320 HP with 465 lbs of torque
Bluesman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #115

Tiffin Owners Club
Gas vs diesel

Having had only diesels since going full time, it is difficult to think about loading the storage and power the diesel affords. Our last gas coach had the banks stage three and gear vendor overdrive which made hills a breeze but storage wise, I just do not know.
I do know for the initial transition back to gas, I would have to rent a trailer and stow some things until I could decide what I wanted to keep, what to put on craigslist and ebay and what to trash.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvredc5 View Post
Diesel isn’t the best choice for everyone and neither is diesel.
Thats my favorite line of this whole thread! (its from post #109)
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Buy whatever you want...
Sounds like the OP has already made up his mind anyhow.
Yes Sir and haven't drove either one sounds like. DP for towing for me and good fuel mileage. Only breakdown on my 99 with 115K miles was a serpentine belt
Old 10-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
Gasoline vs. Diesel

In 2012 I bought a 35-foot Itasca Sunova 33C with the Ford V-10 Triton engine and have never regretted it. Gasoline is always easier to find than diesel and usually costs less per gallon. I don't know anything about Ford's new engine but I've been pleased with my old Triton. You've made many good points about using a gasser...especially if you want to dry camp.

My Ford V-10 engine has performed admirably, while hauling my Ford Focus on a tow dolly behind my coach through the Canadian Rockies, Smoky Mountains, Wyoming mountains and countless other highways with steep slopes. That engine has required only routine maintenance for nearly 70K miles such as oil and filter changes and it has always started quickly.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #119

We changed from gas to DP and back to gas. Maintenance and changing fluids on schedule is so much easier and cheaper.
Trying to get help at Freightliner is so hard and expensive compared to me just calling and going into our Ford dealer. We are satisfied with the performance of our V10.
aggieflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #120

But do non diesels have air ride suspensions? For long drives it's great...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #121

Coastal Campers
Jayco Precept

We purchased a 2020 Jayco Precept 34G, we just passed 12 months and handled some warranty items. We are very happy. You should check this floor plan. Double electric recliners a sofa that turns into a bed. 50" flat screen on televator, residential refrigerator. The storage will blow you away. Plenty of power we tow a Jeep toad.
kenkolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:13 PM   #122

BTW there are some gas engines that were designed to rev low and maintain a torque and power curve that is respectable at 2.2K ish, but to really get the hp and the torque working most have to rev up which a diesl mostly does not.

Diesel biturbo or a triturbo is simply amazing in the torque and hp department. It would be so nice to have a diesel hybrid here like they do in the EU, providing higher mpg, higher torque, higher hp than a plain diesel by leaps but alas our protectionism won't let that happen! A heavy hybrid in gasoline does catch up to the torque and hp of the diesel very well but the efficiency of a diesel hybrid on the long highway trips is unbeatable just ask the railroad!
Old 10-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #123

Diesel all the way!

Diesel gets better mileage, more torque going up mountains and Compression Braking going downhill and heavy duty and durable, period.
Doc Burry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #124

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
Someone more expert will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of that has to do with the chassis. We saw some floor plans that we liked in gas coaches, but because they were on a 22,000 pound chassis they had very little usable cargo carrying capacity by the time you added in passengers and pe4rhaps fresh water. (Winnebago, I'm looking at you.)

That's why our top gas coach choice is a Tiffin Open Road Allegro 32SA on the optional 24,000 chassis. (Neither the Winnebago nor Fleetwood coaches we considered seem to have that chassis as an option.)
Yea, Winnebago. Ours is the 18,000 gas powered chassis . The label inside says it can carry 1455 lbs. Passengers, water, everything. I intend to start a new thread with the details of my weight experience but, in a nut shell, here's the results. I weighed everything, was way over, eliminated a lot of stuff but calculated I was still 550 lbs. overweight. Then went to the truck scale. It says I am almost 1000 lbs. over. Eliminate 1000 lbs.? There will be hardly anything left. It's absurd.

Started looking for a coach in early 2019. Never owned one prior. I had read a lot and was pretty fixated on diesels but everything in our price range was 15 - 20 years old and most were overpriced. I came close to buying a couple of Holiday Ramblers. But when I looked at the one we bought & the seller started talking about work he had done on it, I thought "I can do that. I understand this". Plus the price was well below NADA. Those are the 2 main reasons we bought a gasser.

Other the the lousy carrying capacity, we love it. As far as engine noise, I had read about that and bought a bunch of insulating panels to put under the doghouse. They're still sitting in the garage. Engine noise is just one part of all the noise. Wind noise is awful. Then there is vehicles around us plus the endless clunks, clanks and rattling. But we can talk without yelling.
permitwriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
Why would they be "replaced by gasoline versions" if the "Many failures by the way-were not "diesel related" ?
Because the business school bean counters with no technical experience are the ones who make the decisions on vehicle purchases.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #126

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting discussion. I've had 2 MHs now , both gas. Currently in a 37' Gas with the 8.1 Vortec on the old Workhorse chassis. I've been considering that my next would be diesel mainly for towing and power purposes as I live in Colorado and spend a great deal of time in the mountains. My current rig works fine and doesn't offer too many issues, but it does climb mountains (or any steep grades) at about 45mph and if towing our car, it is a bit slower (35-45). I'm not in a hurry, so this doesn't really bother me, but I would like more power.

After reading much of this thread, I wonder?
mdenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, power