Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #141

The interesting thing (if not already stated) is that Recreational Vehicles may not need to be elaborate, costly or a bargain, motorhome (gas or diesel) 5th wheel or travel trailer. Outside of a tent, these vehicles as well as the lifestyle is going to cost $$$. By an old vehicle, you are going to need to fix and maintain it. Buy a new vehicle, not only will you do the above but you will experience the overwhelming joy...of the warranty process, dealing with your dealer and dealing with the manufacturer. And when you are broken down on Saturday or Sunday or after 5pm... this is when the stress of RV'ing begins. Learn to patch up or fix whatever vehicle you decided to buy. And after that out comes the billfold. Be prepared. On our adventures to Alaska...the trip in 2016 cost me at minimum $5000.00 in repairs that I could not do while on the road, mostly with my truck. Your brand spanking new (insert description here), your bargain basement (insert description here) is going to have an issue of some sort and its not if its when. BE PREPARED! Good roadside assistance, A MUST, can you replace a fresh water pump, fix a clogged black tank drain patch a tear in a roof membrane...learn how. I don't want to sound like a caster of dispersion but just take my word for it an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. do your best not to become a victim and enjoy the RV experience, just don't do it head in the clouds, and it doesn't matter diesel or gas MH or towable...get what your budget can endure.

On Edit, the water pump on my brand new Arctic Fox 5th Wheel went out in the far reaches of the Pacific North West. I couldn't find it for the life of me. Called the dealer and asked where it was located so I could trouble shoot it,( impossible to get in any service center within 100 miles). he told me where it was...nope! i found it but I've been doing this for 25 years and am very capable mechanically. found the nearest Camping World, bought the best pump they had, fixed the problem...bingo. never even turned in a warranty claim. This was more difficult than just fixing it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryqster View Post
The interesting thing (if not already stated) is that Recreational Vehicles may not need to be elaborate, costly or a bargain, motorhome (gas or diesel) 5th wheel or travel trailer. Outside of a tent, these vehicles as well as the lifestyle is going to cost $$$. By an old vehicle, you are going to need to fix and maintain it. Buy a new vehicle, not only will you do the above but you will experience the overwhelming joy...of the warranty process, dealing with your dealer and dealing with the manufacturer. And when you are broken down on Saturday or Sunday or after 5pm... this is when the stress of RV'ing begins. Learn to patch up or fix whatever vehicle you decided to buy. And after that out comes the billfold. Be prepared. On our adventures to Alaska...the trip in 2016 cost me at minimum $5000.00 in repairs that I could not do while on the road, mostly with my truck. Your brand spanking new (insert description here), your bargain basement (insert description here) is going to have an issue of some sort and its not if its when. BE PREPARED! Good roadside assistance, A MUST, can you replace a fresh water pump, fix a clogged black tank drain patch a tear in a roof membrane...learn how. I don't want to sound like a caster of dispersion but just take my word for it an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. do your best not to become a victim and enjoy the RV experience, just don't do it head in the clouds, and it doesn't matter diesel or gas MH or towable...get what your budget can endure.

On Edit, the water pump on my brand new Arctic Fox 5th Wheel went out in the far reaches of the Pacific North West. I couldn't find it for the life of me. Called the dealer and asked where it was located so I could trouble shoot it,( impossible to get in any service center within 100 miles). he told me where it was...nope! i found it but I've been doing this for 25 years and am very capable mechanically. found the nearest Camping World, bought the best pump they had, fixed the problem...bingo. never even turned in a warranty claim. This was more difficult than just fixing it.
I agree 100%... with as Ryqster mentions above.

Also, to avoid headaches with used vehicles... I have resoundly found and recommend:

About the seeming "good" condition, apparently "well" maintained, everything "works" classic older... RV, boat, car, truck, motorcycle, plane... etc, etc.

And, That Is:

As soon as you own it, before you go out to really play with it... by doing it yourself or by having others do it... get every portion completely checked out and replace every [I do mean every] part that is suspect. And, change/flush ALL fluids as well as filters.

I have always enjoyed owning used vehicles due to greatly reduced devaluations, capability of no loan nor its interest and usually the simplicity of its accessories - as compared to new items. Also, used vehicles have quality reports/reviews from other owners to learn about its various aspects.

So... my rule of thumb:

1. Purchase the best condition vehicle at the best price I can negotiate.

2. Keep 33% of purchase price available for all product servicing/repairs/refreshments... accomplished before using.

Then Play Baby - PLAY!!!
Old 10-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
As for diesels - DEF is not the problem and frankly is the solution. It was pre-DEF engines that we’re attempting to meet emission standards w/o DEF that are the problem. The mandate to DEF has allowed the engines to run leaner and thus regenerate less, keeping from clogging DPF’s, while reducing coking in the EGR’s that caused them to plug up.
Much truth in this statement....

My 2008 Ram 6.7 diesel pick up used only EGR (exhaust gas circulation) to keep NOX levels low..

By the time I bought my 2014 Ram 6.7 diesel pick up, they added DEF, which cut way back on the amount of EGR used to control NOX levels..

More EGR causes less MPG, more maintenance (clogged intake passages and inter/after coolers, etc)... not to mention increased wear to piston rings...

FWIW.... For many years I ran diesel boats out of San Diego. It was common knowledge on the docks, that if you developed an exhaust leak... however small... get it fixed ASAP. There are a few reasons for this, but one that the old salts would say time and again, was because of exhaust soot in the engine room... They would warn any soot in the engine room gets sucked back into the engine through the intakes.. that soot is "like pouring sand in your cylinders." was a common warning..

Imagine my surprise when I found that my 2008 Ram Cummins actually ingested diesel soot (EGR) on purpose...!!

Apparently it's not quite as bad as "pouring sand in your cylinders" that the old salts used to warn... but I suspect your engine will last longer without it..!
Old 10-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #144

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great analogy! We've owned both a DP and now currently a gasser. To each his own but we couldn't be happier with our current MH.
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarak View Post
Yes, I saw some posts about minor issues, but if I missed something more important please point me to a forum link. I will do another search later today, but links to these issues would be appreciated.
It has something to do with spark plug wires burning up and there are no replacements anywhere in the United States.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #146

My diesel mechanic says DEF repairs is going to be more costly for fleet owners than tires, which has bern #1 forever
red300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #147

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have had both a gas Monaco coach with a Ford V10 and my current Entegra Cornerstone with the big diesel 605 HP engine.

Both have been great coaches. Mostly reliable so far.

I have had a blast in both.

Since we want the biggest RV we can get the engine choice is not a real issue because it is automatically diesel. We are parked way more than driving. We move about once a week for 5 hours. We use our RV about 150 days a year.

Sure I like the power of my Cornerstone but I would not rule out a gas powered coach in the future if my camping habits changed. If I went back to using my RV 30 - 45 days a year I would go gas because of the price difference. Or if I wanted to get back into state and national park camping I would go shorter RV which would mean gas.

I let what I want in an RV and what I will do with the RV drive the engine choice.

Enjoy the journey.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
It has something to do with spark plug wires burning up and there are no replacements anywhere in the United States.

Have not seen plug wires in years. Modern gas engines use coils.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:17 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Have not seen plug wires in years. Modern gas engines use coils.
Over head cam engines run coil on plug but modern V-8"s with cams in the block have the spark plugs in the side of the head between the exhaust ports. That means no place for the coil so they place the coil close (usually on the valve cover) with a short plug wire 18" to 20" long.
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:41 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
Over head cam engines run coil on plug but modern V-8"s with cams in the block have the spark plugs in the side of the head between the exhaust ports. That means no place for the coil so they place the coil close (usually on the valve cover) with a short plug wire 18" to 20" long.
Tom
I am so lucky... I do have plug wires and little to no computer "stuff" on all/any of my six classic/vintage-aged great running V8's [depending if they are from the 60's, 70's, 80's and even mid 90's]!! Three have been professionally rebuilt. All run like dreams!

Which enables me to simply carry a Leatherman Surge knife/tool-assortment in my pocket that satisfies for most any "immediate keep-it-going need" that may unexpedly arise [of which basically none do].

God bless the ol' "Plug Wire" engines!!
Old 10-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #151

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
Diesel vs Gas

We looked at DP and gas and decided on a year old 38 ft Jayco Precept. Floor plan was not as wonderful as the 41 ft. front living room 5th wheel but we knew that going in. Diesel would be a problem in our area getting reliable service and we were told the Ford V10 could be serviced anywhere....NOT TRUE. Most Ford dealers don't have shops large enough to handle big vehicles, so we still have to travel a little to get a good shop for service...even oil changes. Fuel economy is around 7 mph which is not great even after having 5 Star reprogram the computer and although this MH is very quiet on even roadways it is noisy when climbing (not too bad). The dealer also assured us that the new J-ride Plus would handle better especially when the large 18 wheelers pass us on the highway.....most of the time. Max 5000 pounds towing is also a limit depending on what you want to trailer or tow. One HUGE plus is the cost of refueling. Other than that, bunks for the grand kids, two full bathrooms, a large powerful Onan generator and lots of other goodies to make our camping experience enjoyable. Hope you find the right MH to suit your needs.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Well my friend then I guess you are going to get a trailer then, because the New Ford Godzilla engine is crapping out according to all the post I've seen. People that have just bought their MH or even truck with the engine and haven't made the first payment are running into issues with parts on back order for months. I have seen several posts of Ford having to take the vehicle back do to not being able to get parts. You need to read the Ford Chassis Forum.
Oh just to help you change your mind you may want to think about the Newmar Canyon Star which has just gone to the FRED Chassis or even move into a Super C with a diesel engine. They are much easier to work on and get better MPG's .
Yes, they are having a problem with spark plug wire failures. Apparently the supplier made a bad batch. Ford is having problems sourcing new ones. It will work itself out with a little time. Have not heard of any other problems with the gozilla engine.

Charles
Old 10-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #153

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas? Diesel? Heck no! How about electric? 1000 HP, 11,500 ft. lb. of torque, 0-60 in 3 seconds.

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev Scroll down to the 2nd video for the full story then imagine that powertrain in your next MH (and plenty of charging stations).

Even 4 wheel steering for those tight campgrounds.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:54 PM   #154

Monaco Owners Club
I always thought that large rvs should be diesel electric like trains are. Proven tech used for years and very efficient for large loads. Same for over the road trucks.

Although I am not a engineer and I did not stay at a holiday in express last night.

But could not a hybrid rv work I think the diesel could be much smaller to produce the needed electricity for the drive systems and it would be your genny also.

Tags
gas, power