Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Navigator View Post
Late to this party, but just read the rebuild log. Looks great. One suggestion on the sticky HWH is replace the springs on that one. Worked for me only $35 for a pair. Like that sofa, may need to look into that for mine.

Thanks!

I like the sofa so far, will know more when I sleep on it.

I know it is more than springs, it requires quite a bit of force to move up and kind of binds and pops sometimes when deployed and retracted. I can get it up with leverage each time though. So for now I am not too worried, it is on the list to pull out and rebuild.
nbluesky is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 07:02 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
So for now I am not too worried, it is on the list to pull out and rebuild.
I was going to say, I've never done one but I saw posts from others that managed to find a good hydraulic shop and they said the seals were common etc. I was encouraged by that. I have a good parts supplier in town so I figured if I did them myself they could probably cross-reference the number on the existing seal (s).
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #73

If the jack does not leak, it is not the seal. Sounds like it may be bent.

When I had one that would not go up well, I took this approach.

1. Pull into camp spot
2. Dump air
3. Place wood 2x8 stacked under lazy jack as close as possible
4. Level

Dumping air does not get rid of all the air in the suspension.. When you get ready to leave there will be less air in that when you leveled.

1. Store jacks, the other three will retract and the fourth will be pushed up by the wood stack.
2. Air up to get the stack of wood out
MI Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #74

This is brilliant! What a great idea, that will make retraction a breeze. That would also allow me to fit the bottle or floor jack under it so I can get it up with no effort. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #75

Propane Leak at First Tank Fill...

I had ANOTHER THREAD going with a propane leak. It was the remote fill hose. Here was my final post with the resolution.

I found a local propane and RV repair shop that I can't believe I never knew about. Mike's LP and RV Service and they are only 30 mins from me. This is the good old shop you dream of. They have one of everything and only they would ever know where it is. They had everything I needed in stock, made hoses right there onsite, and ordered me a check valve.

I rebuilt or replaced the following:
-both remote fill hose and bleeder hose
-remote ACME fill valve
-valve stem on tank shut-off
-2 stage regulator
-rubber line from regulator to hard line to appliances
-new tee and quick connect remote tank connection on RV
-new 2-stage regulator and line with quick connect for the remote tank

Total repair time: 2 hrs
Total cost: $450

He did order me a new check valve that I will install later at the tank where the remote fill line connects. That way if I have a leak in the rubber hose ever the tank will not leak down. He said some tanks have them and some don't. He thought it was pretty smart to install one since mine was without.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201203_220240424.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	523.9 KB
ID:	310175   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201203_220253179.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	310176  

Name:	PXL_20201203_220307440.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	310177   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201203_220745047.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	310178  

Old 12-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting....I had no idea there was such a thing as a check valve for a propane line.

I have a large external tank connected to the fill port on my belly tank. It's about a 25 foot rubber hose.

It works well. The thing is, I have always known that if that line ruptures it will leak all the propane out. And that would be a LOT of propane. I'm going to look into check valves (if my understanding is correct) so that if that line ruptures, leakage will be minimal.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Brain fart - that won't work in my case :(
Old 12-04-2020, 06:06 AM   #78

Has check valve possibly been confused with high flow shut off device/safety valve..
Easy to trip one by opening main LP valve too quickly when line pressure is zero it completely stop flow. I'm surprised no posters have asked about no LP flow lately it used to come up quite often .
By the way these have become available to be installed before sink,toilet and washing machine flexible connectors as well as gas appliance flex lines.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #79

Yes the main shut-off valve has the high flow cutoff (I tested it with the regulator unhooked by opening the valve) The valve I did not install was at teh point where the remote fill valve connects into the tank (at a different location under the RV about mid tank) I am not 100% sure if my tank has a valve where the remote line connects but when that hose sprung a leak it just kept leaking and would not stop.

It would be interesting to see if the hose had ruptured and allowed gas to escape quickly if it would have been shut off with a high flow check. The part the guy ordered for me could have been that actually. I was calling it a check valve but it may have been a high flow shutoff.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #80

New Tires!

Today was exciting, I had called around and ordered (4) Toyo M154 265/75/22.5 for the rears. The shop I found (Northwestern Tire in MPLS) quoted me $1670 mounted, balanced, disposal, tax out the door. No other shop I called came even close to that good of deal. I made an appt for 2pm today they did it right in the parking lot in a little over an hour!

The guys were very friendly and knowledgeable. They let me watch and hang out. I got to ask questions and get an eagle eye on everything. As a bonus they sales guy gave me a sweet pressure gauge for free that will allow me to check my pressure properly with the new solid valve stems they installed. There were some rubber valve stem extension on the old ones and he said that he sees blow outs due to those leaking and failing all the time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20201204_211043479.jpg
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	310257   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201204_200948141.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	310258  

Name:	PXL_20201204_205314788.MP.jpg
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	310259  
Old 12-05-2020, 05:29 AM   #81

You'll be pleased with the toyo's. Just had 2 installed on the front a few months ago. Been running them on the rear for 4 years.
bamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #82

While you are at the tires ... get a TPMS (apologies if that is already on your list)

Man ... you are lucking out with this stretch of reasonable weather ... usually we would have ice and snow on the ground by now!
Old 12-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #83

Another confidence booster today!

Yesterday I went and filled the propane tank with 15 gallons to test out the new lines and fittings. No leaks! Fired up the furnaces and the main cabin furnace fired up fine. Works great! The back bedroom kicks the fan on but no ignition fire cycle. I need to check the sail switch, high limit, gas valve, and ultimately the ignitor/board. On the list of troubleshooting and repairs for later...

Today we took a nice little 50 mile daytrip to William O Brian State Park and did some hiking. The RV ran perfect. I ran the furnace to keep the cabin toasty as it is 32F outside here today.

Before our departure I quick installed those 12" seat belt extensions on the sofa seat belts. The extensions only had a 3/8" hole and I needed 1/2" for the floor bolts so I had to drill them out. No big deal took about 15 mins total using an impact, wow I could not live without one of those again.

We are getting close to doing a trial run overnight in the driveway. I want to simulate winter camping with the water system running. We are thinking of making a 2-3 day trial run somewhere remote in the next few weeks. I want to feel comfortable with all the systems before we try that. This week is going to see some 40's so it would be a good time to fill it with water and play around before it gets real cold!
Old 12-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider View Post
You'll be pleased with the toyo's. Just had 2 installed on the front a few months ago. Been running them on the rear for 4 years.
From all the research I did it seams to be the tire to go with. Plus I got them for $296 each! That is a steal from what I can tell. Fresh date codes too, I made sure of that! They ride soooo much better than the scary 20 year old Goodyears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
While you are at the tires ... get a TPMS (apologies if that is already on your list)

Man ... you are lucking out with this stretch of reasonable weather ... usually we would have ice and snow on the ground by now!
I was looking into them and asked the commercial tire guy his opinion. Well he had one alright, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THEM! He said he has seen many of them fail, cause the leak, and ultimate blowout. Plus you have to deal with stolen stem caps. He does not think they are accurate or recommend them. So now I am 2nd guessing it big time.

This warm dry weather is insane lucky for what I am doing. It really could not be any better in Minnesota December!

Tags
blinds, cummins, day/night, holiday rambler, hwh, leveling jacks, rebuild, roof, shades, spartan, water damage