Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Rebuilt Engine -- Increase or Decrease RV Value ??

We have an excellent motor home with a 400 hp Cummins that had the engine completely rebuilt two years ago. It needed the rebuild due to operator error (stupid mistake) and the cost was $35,000 to get the engine rebuilt. The work was done by a very large, super modern service center (over 40 bays) that routinely works on RV's and large trucks with Cummins.

Since the rebuild, we have driven the coach over 5,000 miles without an issue and believe it will run for a very, very long time and is completely reliable.

Questions: When we advertise the coach for sale, should we use "REBUILT Engine" as a heading? Or will that cause people to shy away? Also, does the fact of having a rebuilt engine make the coach more or less valuable?
happycookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
use "new motor" !
Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would be up front with what ever has been done to the coach. Reason for the rebuild. I can not see how the rebuild would cause a price decrease and should make it more attractive. You did not say how many miles were on the coach, which would have some bearing on your asking price.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #4

Interesting dilemma. Since I don't have a MH or a Cummins, I am looking at this as I would if looking for a MH to replace my fiver. Would think a lot depends on knowledge of the looker and his experience with that particular Cummins engine model--and the rebuild warranty, if any, and still in effect. My thoughts would be to leave that 'rebuilt' out til any conversation comes around to the engine condition. If you have all the papers on the rebuild, and the looker knows the engines, then it could easily be a positive. On the other hand, if I were looking and saw the 'rebuilt' in the ad, I think it would be a negative unless I had seen the coach already.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
Just my 2 cents, I don't think that you'll get your money back on that rebuilt engine.
I have a 2010 mh and I spent over $15,000 in 2016 to have 2 slide outs rebuilt due to water infiltration and other details and I'm stuck with it for now; the reason being that it is a 2010 with or without new slide-outs, I won't get anymore for it, so I will use the damn mh for many more years.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

I wouldn't expect it to add or subtract much value. Most DPs are such low mileage already...I prefer to see more mileage than less. At least a few thousand miles per year since new. Most likely indicating the unit was driven at least twice a year for a couple thousand miles each time. That's about the minimum for my preffs.

But as far as a 35000 engine rebuid adding value...maybe a little. But engine rebuilds really dont prove their worth for a few thousand miles after completion. Infant mortality and maintenance induced failure could easily take out the engine again requiring another rebuild. So what's the value in that?

-E
Old 08-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #7

You left out important information which is how old the coach is.

In an older unit where major repairs are normal/ expected then a major repair may allay some concern.

In a newer unit it would be a big red flag. The chances of a shop building an engine to factory standards? Slim to none.

The key thing for discriminating buyers is a coach that’s received proper maintenance and TLC. A new engine doesn’t help you tell that story.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #8

My view is that it wouldn’t change the value (unless it has an excellent transferable warranty), but could cause other questions. If the issue was caused by operator error, what other things have been done incorrectly that could cause issues.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would mention it for sure but I don't think it adds or removes value unless it is covered by a warranty that follows the coach. That warranty would add a small amount of value.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine