Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #1

Recent experiences with replacing shocks on Ford F53 chassis???

I considering replacing the shocks on our 2012 Newmar Bay Star and am debating (as so many have) whether to go with Bilstein or Koni shocks. I've already researched and read older threads on this forum and elsewhere as well as that old test report that is easily found, so I'm looking for any comments or thoughts from folks that have RECENTLY replaced shocks on their gas motor-home.

With our rig being a 2012 and with just about 40k miles on the odometer, I'm hoping that new shocks will make a slight improvement BUT....I know that it may be minimal or not evident at all. At the cost of replacing the shocks with Bilstein shocks, I really don't mind doing it just as a little preventative maintenance. I've already had the front end aligned, replaced tires with balancing, set my tire pressure based upon axle weight, etc. But, my wife does have some back issues, so it's worth a gamble on replacing the shocks.

So, if anyone can help, thanks so much!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #2

I just posted on the "Ford Chassis" forum in a thread named "Koni FSD Shocks" where some have been discussing the issue. You may want to check others comments there.
I'll post an update after I get them installed. It seems that they do very good for some people and do nothing for others. I'm hoping for the very good.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put Koni's on mine a few years back and did all the other things you mentioned. Didn't help any, wife still complained about the ride. I've since traded for a diesel pusher and now she is pleased with it.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
I just posted on the "Ford Chassis" forum in a thread named "Koni FSD Shocks" where some have been discussing the issue. You may want to check others comments there.
I'll post an update after I get them installed. It seems that they do very good for some people and do nothing for others. I'm hoping for the very good.
Thanks,
Thanks for the info. I'll keep track of the thread.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #5

For me, there was a marked improvement with the FSD shocks. Three months after the FSD change I installed quad shocks and noted further improvement.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
For me, there was a marked improvement with the FSD shocks. Three months after the FSD change I installed quad shocks and noted further improvement.
Am I correct that your Tiffin came with Bilstein shocks? And, do you recall how many miles were on the motorhome when you installed the first set of Konis?
Thanks for responding!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #7

I have been interested in this and following all the threads for some time. It seems the Koni's definitely help with sway, but either do or don't help with bridge transitions and potholes, depending on who you ask. You haven't said what your problem is. Mine is bridge and potholes so I have hesitated to spend the money.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I have been interested in this and following all the threads for some time. It seems the Koni's definitely help with sway, but either do or don't help with bridge transitions and potholes, depending on who you ask. You haven't said what your problem is. Mine is bridge and potholes so I have hesitated to spend the money.
I don't have any sway issues as the previous owner had Sumo springs installed. I'm hoping to just reduce the severity of bridge transitions and bumpy roads. With the MH turning 8 years old and just about 40K on the original shocks, I don't mind spending some money to replace the shocks. The big question is whether to stay with the Bilstein shocks or pay double for the Koni shocks. Now I've found that the Koni shocks for the F53 are a gas shock but designed differently than the monotube Bilstein shocks. Owners of Bilstein and Koni shocks respond with everything from the shocks made a big difference to no difference. I wish a reliable source would do a test of shocks strictly on the F53 and see how Koni and Bilstien shocks compare in real life testing.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
I wish a reliable source would do a test of shocks strictly on the F53 and see how Koni and Bilstien shocks compare in real life testing.
That would be nice but there are too many variables with all of the different F53 chassis's and bodies: weights, wheelbase, spring type and rate, age, etc.

And unfortunately people rarely note their GVWR, year and wheelbase when talking or asking about shocks or other suspension mods.

For me, the Koni FSDs made a dramatic improvement and I replaced the OEM Ford Sachs shocks at barely 800 miles.

22,000 GVWR, 242" wheelbase and a 2019 chassis.

Ray
Old 02-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #10

Replaced the bilsteins on my 2012 Bay Star with new bilsteins at 32000.
Absolutely no difference in ride or handling.
Save your money
zweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Am I correct that your Tiffin came with Bilstein shocks? And, do you recall how many miles were on the motorhome when you installed the first set of Konis?
Thanks for responding!
My coach came with sumo springs and the Sachs shocks made in Mexico. They were junk from the start, FSD installed at 5,000 miles.

Tags
chassis, f53, ford, shocks