Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #1

Recent Good Sam EWS since 2016

Reposting this as much of the feedback was a bit dated....
If you maintained your Rig, called ahead to make sure the place was approved by GS before having the work done...
Did it meet your coverage expectations?
Did it pay for itself in repairs?

TIA
Mle75749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #2

Let me tell you a story about Good Sam's extended warranty. On a previous coach, the warranty had expired and I called Good Sam. They quoted me a price and I agreed but with the stipulation that the warranty wouldn't start until a certain day. That date was 1 day before a trip. I then asked if they would send someone to my coach to inspect it before the coverage started and (for the sake of this story) Manny said "no" the coach was too new. About 2 weeks before my trip, I called Good Sam and made sure they had not started the warranty and again asked (this time, Moe) if they would send someone to inspect the coach, Moe said "no" it was too new. So, 1 day before my trip I again called Good Sam and this time spoke to (Jack) I asked Jack the same question I had asked Manny and Moe he said the said the same thing. No inspection was needed. So, Manny, Moe and Jack all said the same thing, No inspection needed.

Okay so now the warranty was in effect. We drove to Chula Vista RV park in CA and a week later we were on our way home. The following week, we were heading across the country. About 60 miles into our 120 mile trip home, the turbo blew up. I was towed to a truck center in Escondido and they immediately contacted Good Sam. Good Sam sent an inspector to the service center and denied the claim stating it was pre-existing. I had to pay almost $3,000 dollars to get my coach back.
I called Good Sam and asked why they denied the claim and they just said. "pre-existing" I asked 'how they knew' it was pre-existing because no inspection was done and they stuck to their answer.

I ended up writing a very nasty letter to Good Sam and the last paragraph stated that I was going to sue them and since I asked (3) of their employee's to send an inspector to my home (and they denied that) that a jury of my peers would obviously side with me since there was absolutely no way they could know it was pre-existing.

I got a check in the mail from Good Sam

Bottom line. as far as I'm concerned Good Sam is "Bad Sam"
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mle75749 View Post
Reposting this as much of the feedback was a bit dated....
If you maintained your Rig, called ahead to make sure the place was approved by GS before having the work done...
Did it meet your coverage expectations?
Did it pay for itself in repairs?

TIA
Yes, the policy met our coverage expectations. In 3 years we have only needed to have the rear AC replaced under the plan. All other repairs have been either a minor expense or something that was not covered by the plan. The AC replacement required a new circuit board in the front unit. This was not covered. The policy explains what is and is not covered, so any surprises would most likely be due to a policy holder failing to read and understand the policy.

No, it did not (has not, yet) paid for itself in repairs. In hindsight, it would have been to our financial advantage to self-insure. The same could be said for the home and auto insurance premiums we have paid for over our lifetime. Those premiums have, by far, exceeded any claims we have received. On the positive side, we have had a relatively trouble free coach for the past 3+ years.

I don’t fault the policy or the insurer for the way things have worked out. It was a conscious decision to buy the ESP, knowing that we could have needed major repairs or none at all.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote