Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess those of us in the rainy north west that park out side since it is always raining and there is lots of moisture even when parked on gravel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Tires should not sit in water as that can rust the steel belts and cause premature failure. They can also lose oils to some surfaces, concrete being one of the worst. Most mfg'ers recommend a "moisture barrier" under the tires when vehicles are parked for long periods of time. I use my pads when parked on my concrete pad at homebase, and anytime parked on concrete or asphalt for more than a couple of nights when on the road.
if water can get in to rust the steel belts...wouldn't that mean somehow the air inside the tire can escape?

I have read tons of tire manufacturer info on their web sites and have yet to see anything about tires needing moisture barriers.....I will have to re-look
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #17

EMD_DRIVER, Back in the late 70's when I worked in a steel plant, it used many conveyors. When belts needed to be replaced, a couple of farmers who also worked at the plant would take home the old belts to put in their barns for the cows to stand on.
I don't know if Elsie was a diesel pusher or gas though!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everything that I have ever read indicated that concrete is the best surface to park on without any barrier being necessary.

However, with that said, it would depend on "where" you store it just as much as the surface. If you are in a storage facility, what happens if the person next to you has an oil or transmission leak? The fluid could puddle, or depending on the area it could slope toward your tires. We all know that oil substances are detrimental to rubber. So in cases like this it would be better to have a barrier that is high enough so that the liquid would be diverted away from the tires. So my thoughts are that a 3/4" barrier of non porous material would be the better choice, but hey, that's me.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
if water can get in to rust the steel belts...wouldn't that mean somehow the air inside the tire can escape?

I have read tons of tire manufacturer info on their web sites and have yet to see anything about tires needing moisture barriers.....I will have to re-look
Cracks/cuts in the exterior surface can allow water/moisture to seep in to the belts while the air chamber is still secure ...but air does indeed seep out of even a brand new tire over time.

For reference material, look for an RV or general tire care booklet on the mfg website. Most have them, and normally recommend tire covers and moisture barriers. Michelin reference materials are at Michelin North America RV Reference Materials Page
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Go to your local Truck Stop, Tractor Supply or Farm Fleet and buy 4 HD truck mud flaps less than $7.00 each. When traveling they make a rubber floor for your compartments and are recycled for the most part.
They work for me.
lyledavid
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I went to the hardware store and had them cut 8 foot piece of vinyl floor runner off of a roll for me. I cut and used that material in 2 ft pieces.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire Landing pad

"EMD_DRIVER, Back in the late 70's when I worked in a steel plant, it used many conveyors. When belts needed to be replaced, a couple of farmers who also worked at the plant would take home the old belts to put in their barns for the cows to stand on."

I was looking around in the 'Tractor Supply' store and came across these horse stall mats. They were about $40 and I bought one to try to cut up and put under my RV tires and as electrical insulation under the jacks. I found they were easy to cut just using a utility knife. I figured if a horse could stand on them they should stand up to the weight of the RV.

I just let the mat hang over the edge of the railing on my deck and the cut opened up at every pass. They actually turned out to be quite easy to cut. This picture is cutting a small piece. When working with the large sheet I used the tailgate of my pick-up as a work table. The other picture shows the set. I plan to put some holes in the corners to help install and remove them. This material is 3/4" thick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2288.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	19687   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2290.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	19688  

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Everything that I have ever read indicated that concrete is the best surface to park on without any barrier being necessary.
Concrete leaches alkali and other ingredients out, and will conduct moisture both directions. Moisture barriers are commonly used under concrete slabs. That also is a big part of the reason for sealing concrete ...to slow/stop the two way absorption/emission process ...a permanent moisture barrier. I know of classic car collectors who will put a moisture barrier under not only the tires but the entire car when parked on concrete to help prevent undercarriage rust from moisture coming out of the concrete. I suppose if the concrete has a good acrylic sealer on it, the need for a moisture barrier is much, much less.

And yes, as Wayne indicates, you want the tire situated so that liquids move away rather than puddling around the tire.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #24

A rose goes by many names, but it "landing pads," "ground protection pads," "jack pads," or "outriggers" are what you are looking for here's a couple sources:
DICA Outrigger Pads, RV Jack Pads, AlturnaMATS, Wheel Chocks
Summit Products, Inc. - Motorhome Products
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #25

Bridgestone Truck has a question to that effect. http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...aintenance.asp
Third question down.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the plastic dollypads that the truckers use for their trailers. They are light weight about 18" X18" x1" . You can use one for each wheel.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
RinkersRanch,
Thank you the horse mats look like the will be perfect. We have a Tractor Supply about an hour from us next time ove will pick one up if they stock them. How thick are they?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #28

Horse mats can vary from 1/2 to 1 in. They work great for many purposes...just be aware that a full mat is freaking heavy! You will want help to move it around before you cut it.

Tags
tires, ace