Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Recently saw a post on pads placed under coach tires to protect from the ground!

I recently was on a thread where a member posted a manufacturer that produced a poly pad or similar composite that was strong, had cut outs to aid in placement and protected the tires from direct exposure to the ground. In a senior moment I lost the manf. Web site info. If someone would refresh my memory I would appreciate it very much. Believe the manf. Started wit a D, like Dominique or similar. Thank's!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

I am not sure about 'store' bought one, but I use 1" plywood to set the tires on for our MH. Not only does it keep the tires off the ground but keeps them out of the ice during our winters.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

an ordinary set of rubber automotive floor mats are under my tires when in storage on concrete floored shed. About 20 bucks total.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I use thin "space age" plastic pads called "Landing Pads" from Ranger Design. But their website seems to be gone, so not sure they are still around. I got mine in 2004 or so. They are easy to stow, but have become a bit brittle and if I am not careful I break small pieces off the edge when I handle them ...but then again, they are 8 yr old and have been used a lot!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I understand wanting to keep out of ice , but educate me why the tires need protection from the ground... new 'vintage' owner and have much to learn.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Tires should not sit in water as that can rust the steel belts and cause premature failure. They can also lose oils to some surfaces, concrete being one of the worst. Most mfg'ers recommend a "moisture barrier" under the tires when vehicles are parked for long periods of time. I use my pads when parked on my concrete pad at homebase, and anytime parked on concrete or asphalt for more than a couple of nights when on the road.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use 2"x12"x30" 'landing pads' under the wheels and levelers when parked on my asphalt driveway. The added surface area distributes the load so dimples do not form in the driveway. Seems to work for me...Just my two cents
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap
I use thin "space age" plastic pads called "Landing Pads" from Ranger Design. But their website seems to be gone, so not sure they are still around. I got mine in 2004 or so. They are easy to stow, but have become a bit brittle and if I am not careful I break small pieces off the edge when I handle them ...but then again, they are 8 yr old and have been used a lot!
AFChap, that is what I saw on a previous post. Thanks for the info I have been calling them "tire pads" maybe "landing" will improve my search. FYI the post had a web site that was up and your product was still being produced. In fact they said it is a product used in operating room tables. Thank's
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And you can always just go to your local store and by some cutting boards made out of plastic.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap
Tires should not sit in water as that can rust the steel belts and cause premature failure. They can also lose oils to some surfaces, concrete being one of the worst. Most mfg'ers recommend a "moisture barrier" under the tires when vehicles are parked for long periods of time. I use my pads when parked on my concrete pad at homebase, and anytime parked on concrete or asphalt for more than a couple of nights when on the road.
AFChap the manf. of the landing pads was Ranger. Their domain site was up for sale, guess they are out of business! Too bad perfect product for my coach. Problem with cutting boards is duals followed with a tag. I need to span that lengthy area and wanted something strong and easily stored. Out of ideas for the road.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I have thought about options as my landing pads shed small chunks here and there. I think I would buy truck mud flaps ...one each should do for each set of duals. One could be cut in half for both front tires, or the tag singles. My other thought is to get a rubber or vinyl shop mat that I could cut to the sizes needed.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #12

I read somewhere on the web the the best material to put under tires if a vehicle is to be stored for a period of time is steel! The site I was on talked about wood, concrete block, plastic etc. To no avail, when I store my rig for the winter I park it on roofing joist support planking. Get it out of the scrap lumber cuts where new housing is going up.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Anything that will not conduct moisture ...wood will to some extent but is better than concrete. Even most rubber will to some extent. Plastic is normally what is recommended. I've not seen steel recommended, but it certainly shoud not conduct moisture ...but I sure wouldn't want to haul large sheet of steel around, or even have to move them around the parking site!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I have access to old conveyer belts and they are 3/8" reinforced rubber. They have served me well and the price is right!

If you have any quarries around, you could probably pick a piece up for free... They also make good two-piece pickup truck bed liners!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, ace