Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 12:49 AM   #1

Recomendations for a "Porch Light" replacement

I have five (5), yep, five (5) separate lights on the passenger's side of my coach.

I purchase this coach used and at that time only one of these "porch lights" worked - the most important one directly over the steps. But... now that one crocked!!

In searching the Net for the many variation of possible replacement - LED ONLY - I've become more confused than educated. So my question to all the many experience users of these lights - we all have them so this should be interesting: these are my currently requirements:
1. Must be bright - I do NOT want the equivalent of a 40 watt bulb - 60 Watts minimum
2. Preference would be a white light rather than amber. But I can be persuaded.
3. Motion detection / On-Off combination (switchable) would be nice
4. I'll be replacing five (5) of them so cost is definitely a factor
5. All will use the current electrical wiring from the current and non-working light fixtures
6. My coach is mostly dark where the lights will be installed. So black or dark browns would be preferred (doubtful anything other than custom painted would be in the brown tones)

Since it's almost 12 AM here and I'm still typing, I'm sure I've missed some important considerations. So, feel free to offer positive and instructive additional suggests, recommendations and or products your personally used.

As always, thanks for your input.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #2

If the 5 fixtures only need bulbs then you can buy LED replacement bulbs on line that plug in to the current bulb sockets. Provide bright white light depending on the type you buy. Should be able to get good ones under $5 each.

I installed a motion detector LED porch fixture that we like very much, pricey though, about $60:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Depending on how the lights are wired and if all controlled by one switch a motion sensor can be installed between the switch and the first light and control all the lights. Yes LED. If you are handy and want to install just a motion sensor you can remove the light fixture drill a new hole either above below or to the side of the existing fixture and snake the power wire from the fixture hole to the new hole and have all the lights controlled by the sensor. Sensors are avaliable at most Lowes, HD and hardware stores for less than 10 bucks.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:43 AM   #4

Watch the RVGeeks video series on LED replacement using M4 products. I just did my outside lights and it is literally night and day with the new LED replacements. I used the natural white bulbs and will be doing fluorescent ceiling lights over the winter.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I upgraded to this earlier this year although from a different retailer:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Star-...-p/55-1001.htm

My 2 cents:
* LED lighting
* Brighter then factory
* Used existing wiring
* The light is switchable between regular and motion. (Switch on for regular light, switch On, Off, On quickly to set to motion)
* Motion sensitivity can be adjusted
* Although stock bulb color is white, you can purchase a Amber lens and easily switch between the two.

They housing does come in black and white depending on preference.

All in all a easy upgrade. Only real “issue” was removing the silicone the factory had installed on the original light. Where the wires enter the coach I swear the tech used an entire tube of silicone, creating a large “ball” of silicone inside the coach coating the wires. (And more importantly thr wire nuts connecting the light). Although extremely waterproof, it took an hour of pulling to get it out of the hole to access. While standing on a stepladder, it would STRETCH, forever and suddenly a piece would pop out....... I must have landed on the lawn 5 times. Luckily here in VT in early April the ground is still very damp and soft from the snow melt. In retrospect it would have made a good YouTube video, at the time I was not amused.

The last piece was a ball the size of a baseball, pulled through a MUCH smaller hole in the fiberglass!
Old 10-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
I upgraded to this earlier this year although from a different retailer:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Star-...-p/55-1001.htm

My 2 cents:
* LED lighting
* Brighter then factory
* Used existing wiring
* The light is switchable between regular and motion. (Switch on for regular light, switch On, Off, On quickly to set to motion)
* Motion sensitivity can be adjusted
* Although stock bulb color is white, you can purchase a Amber lens and easily switch between the two.

They housing does come in black and white depending on preference.

All in all a easy upgrade. Only real “issue” was removing the silicone the factory had installed on the original light. Where the wires enter the coach I swear the tech used an entire tube of silicone, creating a large “ball” of silicone inside the coach coating the wires. (And more importantly thr wire nuts connecting the light). Although extremely waterproof, it took an hour of pulling to get it out of the hole to access. While standing on a stepladder, it would STRETCH, forever and suddenly a piece would pop out....... I must have landed on the lawn 5 times. Luckily here in VT in early April the ground is still very damp and soft from the snow melt. In retrospect it would have made a good YouTube video, at the time I was not amused.

The last piece was a ball the size of a baseball, pulled through a MUCH smaller hole in the fiberglass!
I just returned one similar to that. Is it bright enough for dark evenings when you need light on your open area? More than just an equilavent "40 AMP" bulb?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
Community Moderator

the utility lights can be white led, but the porch light (next to the upper corner of the entrance door) should be yellow by all means. you don't want to invite bugs with white light especially in summer time.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, light, replace, replacement