Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #1

Recomendations of Wash/Wax Videos

Hello all

I really love this forum. The knowledge on here is amazing!

We just got quoted $800 for a wash and wax on our motorhome. I know there are good DIY videos out there. Anyone have a good video they can suggest? We are going to tackle this on our own.

Thank you!
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I have paid $350 for wash/wax 43 foot class A. What type of paint correction/wax/sealant were they going to apply for that much money?

I have heard a proper nano ceramic coating could cost that much, but that is not just wash/wax....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #3

Have you ever washed a car? Its the exact same except 20 times more of it.
Go buy yourself a good long hqndle brush, make sure it is really soft. As for was, McGuires Advanced is super easy on off.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
4 hours at $100 per hour plus supplies. $800 is a little steep but 4-500 is not.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
6ofus:

This is an older discussion on RV wash and wax products that you may find helpful: RV Wash Products.

Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #6

Assuming it's a painted surface, Mike Phillips over at Auto Geek puts out excellent videos on proper care for automotive paint.
Here's an example:
https://www.autogeek.net/car-wax-detailing.html#

If you check YouTube, you'll find many more of his videos.

As mentioned above, the amount of time and effort depends on what you want to accomplish.
If your goal is to remove scratches and swirl marks before applying a wax, then you'll need to do paint correction which typically involves a random orbital buffer and appropriate pads and product for the level of correction needed.
If you decide to do paint correction, Mike has videos on this as well, as do others.

For that process, I've been happy with my Griot's Garage buffer and their BOSS line of correcting/finishing creams.
They have a series of videos covering washing, correcting and waxing as well, of course pushing their products.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...how+to+wash.do

Your main focus should be to do as little damage to the paint (clear coat actually) as possible, so use high quality wash mitts or sponges (lambs wool or good microfiber) and towels, and whatever you use to apply wax, swapping them out for clean ones when they get dirty in order to minimize scratches.

As you know, it's a big job with lots of trips up and down the ladder, so pace yourself and take breaks when needed. Also, avoid washing/waxing when the paint is hot as it becomes difficult to avoid water/soap spots since things dry so fast.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

Thanks all for the recommendations. I definitely think this is something we can do ourselves. We have always been DIY'ers so this shouldn't stop us now. I'm excited to get started but will wait for the heat wave to end.

pasdad1 I am not sure what kind of wax he was going to use. After I heard the price, I tried to tune him out while he was talking to my husband.
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:32 AM   #8

If you have the room and a large flat area to work, go rent a scissor lift for a day and focus on the upper portions of the RV, you can thank me later. No ladders and you can work at the perfect angle without fatiguing.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
about 3 weeks ago I tackled the job of the exterior of my older class C, Minnie Winnie 29RQ..

I was able to get a shine,, maybe a 7 out of 10 based an a new real paint, but my unit is the older Fiberon sheeting stuff that never glowed like a new rv clear coat..

I had spend a SOLID 11 + hours on it,, then still had windows and trim to clean up..

I used professional products from Gliptone and Meguires.. I have a bodyshop for 37 years..

I used orbital 6: and 8: pads, starting arter a checical wash that was to seal roof, i decided to clean sides also..the week prior..

Using a body lube and Clay pads, I was able to remove oxidation and brighten the decals.

Then a cleaner compound, then a paint sealer with foam pads and since I am old school I used a Carnuba based paste wax on the entire rig by hand..

Issues, its alot of work, I am only 5"7 and stout.. I needed laddrsm smal scaffold, etc small sections at a time..

My pic shows some shine, and the old delame i fixed even better,, LOL

I just re wipied and touched up a few spots this past weeknd , actually looks good

This is a 400-500 dollar job any day... add. another day to make it customer quality..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miniside.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	293285  
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #10

Wash Wax All

https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Cosmetic...13&tag=mh0b-20

See this post:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/beli...ll-486891.html
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used tons of was and shine,, I have it in a proprietary sold locally... BUT they only last so long, they to work on a new rig as a maintence cleaner wax,, you sill have de-tar, se-tree sap, de-bug the RV.. most road film and monor window stains will come off..

As they note and on all good wash/shine/wax spray ons..

Note: Understand that this is a Wash and Wax Product. Wax will protect and enhance the shine you currently have. If you have dull, oxidized, or scratched finish you will need a Polish to address those issues. WAX IS FOR PROTECTION, POLISH IS FOR REPAIR.

sorry my tyoing with gloves on at work, on break.. paint shop LOL
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:18 AM   #12

I wash the coach in our yard. The next day, I take it to my sons personal shop/garage and park the coach in his RV bay. It's 110' X 40' and he has his parked at a local resort for the summer. I'll apply the wax to a 10-12' section top to bottom. Then I go sit in a comfortable chair and start a new book. After 20 minutes, I'll buff off the section and apply wax to the next 10-12'. Then back to the book and a cup of coffee. I'll just repeat till one side is done. That's enough for one day. Next day the same thing, except that my reading breaks can get longer, as I want to finish the book with the finish of the waxing job. It might take me 3 part days to complete the job with all the detailing, but @ 77 years old, what else do I have to do?? I used to pay a firm $10/ft for the same thing, but my wife always seems to have a place for the $450.

If both of you do it together, you'll have to read short books.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote