Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2021, 06:22 AM   #15

I am surprised RVroof.com has not been mentioned. Expensive but will last forever.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 06:34 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
One of the first things I did when I got my coach was to coat the roof. I chose Henry's Tropi-cool. I got it from home depot as oppose to ordering from amazon to ensure it was a fresher batch. 5 gals will do 2 coats on a 40fter. Use a nappy roller to apply yourself. This stuff is like the $6k roof the pros install and just as good. It will last the life of the coach, and has benefits of never needing maintenance and protects against UV and extreme heat. The only downside is you can no longer use VHB type tape or any non-silicone based product for other applications, eg, mounting solar pan els, etc. You will have to use compatible Henry's type products.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:42 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm leaning towards the Henry product too, or similar such as Liquid Rubber. Around here UV eats paint alive and while dicor would be easier to apply I don't think it would be as durable as a thicker silicone coating. The rustoleum deck paint looks like it'd be a contender though, millions of boats can't be wrong but at the end of the day the prep work and application is the elephant in the room no matter what the material used, so might as well go for what will last the longest.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
I'm leaning towards the Henry product too, or similar such as Liquid Rubber. Around here UV eats paint alive and while dicor would be easier to apply I don't think it would be as durable as a thicker silicone coating. The rustoleum deck paint looks like it'd be a contender though, millions of boats can't be wrong but at the end of the day the prep work and application is the elephant in the room no matter what the material used, so might as well go for what will last the longest.

Mark B.

Albuquerque, NM

Redoing the roof is 95% prep and 5% painting.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I was going to re-paint mine with the marine paint that Dawgs suggests when I came across the Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coat. Decided to give it a try and very pleased with the result. I washed it well, gave it a once-over with liquid sandpaper to remove surface oxidation, and painted two coats in one afternoon.

Note that this is a paint, not a "rubber roof coat". No need to rubber coat the fiberglass that I can see.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I coated our roof last summer with rustoleum topcoat in gloss white. Easy prep and applied with a small roller. Turned out fantastic!
gonecampin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No need to rubber coat the fiberglass that I can see.
The primary reason I see is expansion and contraction of the surface. The winnebago roof isn't adhered to the roof underlayment so that it can move with temperature. Between that and possibly a bit of slight flexing I think the thicker silicone product will put up with that better and not be as affected by UV as acrylic or polyurethane. Clearly those coatings are decent for what they are but if I'm going to spend a few weeks sanding the surface and sealing seams I might as well put on something that may outlast my ownership.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The primary reason I see is expansion and contraction of the surface. The winnebago roof isn't adhered to the roof underlayment so that it can move with temperature.
In my opinion that's not a factor. The roof membrane expands and contracts as a whole, and the paint moves with it. The fiberglass sidewalls are painted too and the paint doesn't flake off every time the weather changes. Ditto for painted metal or vinyl siding on houses, fiberglass & aluminum boats, and numerous similar things. If paints didn't expand and contract with the surface, they wouldn't be of any use at all.

The only motivation I can see is if the coating is also being used as a seam sealer at the edges of the fiberglass membrane. In lieu of caulking the seams.

BTW, the coach in question appears to be a '97 Rexhall Aerbus, not a Winnebago.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The Henry 887 Tropi-Cool coating looks really good! I've been thinking of coating our fiberglass roof with a reflective coating to reduce the heat inside. Does anyone that has used this product have actual figures on how much it reduced the inside ceiling temps?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One area that allowed heat to enter the coach was the shower skylight. I have no idea why they are made from dark acrylic plastics. When I painted my roof with Rust-oleum marine paint, I went ahead and painted the shower skylight. What a difference in heat reduction. Because it's white it still provide good lighting over the shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower sky light.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	318048  
Old 02-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #25

I used two coats of Rustoleum Topside gloss on our '98 Safari's Filon roof. VERY pleased with the results. Brightened up the roof and has made it much easier to clean.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverDen View Post
Mine has a white roof coating over the solid fiberglass roof and it was professionally done. It looks like truck bed liner except it’s white. I actually ordered some not too long ago because I removed the big satellite dish And want to coat the area underneath where the satellite was
It can be done by an Individual but it is a lot of work and It involves removing everything basically from the roof and completely sanding it down and sealing it up. There are videos on YouTube showing it being done . If you want to do it yourself you’re gonna need a decent compressor and the stuff is shot on at 25 psi the prep is basically sanding everything down with 80 grit and wiping it down just like you would if you were shooting paint on car. The companies that do it give you a lifetime warranty and guarantee it will never leak. PM me and I Will send you the information on the product

Sorry for the delay; The product is called DOMINATOR TINTABLE TRUCKBED LINER. It can be purchased at Quality Auto paint suppliers. The original product I can't recall the name of but this is sold in quarts. It is a 2 part mixed product and the gun to spray it is less than $30 It would probably take a gallon of mixed product to do your entire roof 35-40' product cost APROX $4-$5 hundred the finish is highly durable and finish is rough like a truck bed liner so no slip which is important on a roof. I generally use a mild bleach or detergent wash each year as I get a lot of mildew in Florida and it has never leaked 18 years old and looks like new.
BeaverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The Henry 887 Tropi-Cool coating looks really good! I've been thinking of coating our fiberglass roof with a reflective coating to reduce the heat inside. Does anyone that has used this product have actual figures on how much it reduced the inside ceiling temps?
I have not personally done anything myself to prove it help with heat, but I seen some vids on youtube when I was doing my research.

Tags
fiberglass, roof