RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2017, 01:47 AM   #1

Recommendations for Service

I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE 34st with a Cummings ISB6-7 engine that is due for its 6000 Mile or 6 Month service on the Freightliner chassis. I am in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, and Iím looking for a Freightliner authorized service provider that is competent and ethical. Yes, in the perfect world I would just do it myself, but Iím getting a little long in the tooth and lacking in motivation to take on these tasks.

Based on my research Iím concerned that my desirements/expectations may be unrealistic. I canít find any service providers with reviews that most RV owners would be comfortable. Iím willing to drive a substantial distance; havenít defined what that equates to in miles to obtain this service.

In my research and personal experience, it appears to me that most service providers have implemented a model wherein they grossly over estimate the cost on the labor side, be their work competent or otherwise. I would greatly appreciate it if the audience in this forum could speak to this issue and provide referrals that they would be comfortable using. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
sundance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2017, 02:32 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance1 View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE 34st with a Cummings ISB6-7 engine that is due for its 6000 Mile or 6 Month service on the Freightliner chassis. I am in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, and Iím looking for a Freightliner authorized service provider that is competent and ethical. Yes, in the perfect world I would just do it myself, but Iím getting a little long in the tooth and lacking in motivation to take on these tasks.

Based on my research Iím concerned that my desirements/expectations may be unrealistic. I canít find any service providers with reviews that most RV owners would be comfortable. Iím willing to drive a substantial distance; havenít defined what that equates to in miles to obtain this service.

In my research and personal experience, it appears to me that most service providers have implemented a model wherein they grossly over estimate the cost on the labor side, be their work competent or otherwise. I would greatly appreciate it if the audience in this forum could speak to this issue and provide referrals that they would be comfortable using. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Just from my personal experience.. Freightliner dealership would be a good choice for routine maintenance, BUT... stay the hell away from ANY Crappy World shop.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am sure there is a "Good" Freightliner dealer out there - just go in knowing they are set up for trucks and servicing professional drivers and fleets so the work may take a little more time than what you might expect and you probably will bot be at the head of the line.

You may also find the labor rate for motor homes is higher than the truck rate.

When we owned a DP, I found a Ford dealer, believe it or not, that was an authorized Freightliner dealer also. Did great work, didn't have trucks from the road looking to be back on the road quickly and they did great work for an honest price. This was after an unpleasant experience at a Freightliner dealer...

Now with our gas V10, I am lucky enough to take it to the same dealer.

Good luck in your search.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would check to see if there is a Cummins Coach Care facility near you
Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If you don't mind driving a little, look into Colton Truck.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

You can check these out for someone close to you that has a good review.
http://rvservicereviews.com
Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Welcome to the forum, sundance1

You are not required to use a Cummins or Freightliner "authorized service provider" to keep your warranty coverage. Yes, to have warranty work done you would have to use an authorized provider but it's against the law for them to deny coverage because you didn't have routine maintenance performed at an authorized dealer. Just like your passenger vehicles, you are free to do the maintenance yourself or have an independent service provider do the maintenance.

If you perform the maintenance yourself, be sure to keep receipts of parts/materials purchased and a log of what you did, where you did it, and how long it took you to do it, etc. ...i.e. the more detailed the better.

If you have an independent shop do the maintenance, have them note on their invoice/receipt what they did and make sure that their description corresponds to the Freightliner maintenance M1 or whatever the scheduled service is titled.

With that said, if Redlands isn't too far or inconvenient for you, Redlands Truck and RV is an iRV2 forum sponsor and vendor. They do excellent work and have very good reviews from RVers in all mediums, i.e. RV Service Reviews, Google, etc. I have linked their website:

Redlands Truck and RV

Reviews from RV Service Reviews HERE

Reviews from Google HERE
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would highly recommend Colton Truck Terminal Garage. I have been there twice this winter and am very impressed at the quality of the work, prices and how customer oriented they are. They work on lots of motorhomes. They are a very busy shop.

Redlands do very good work however I have found their prices are out of this world.

Colton will only work on chassis related issues, no house stuff.

Many shops, especially Freightliner will not take an appointment. You just need to show up and hope for the best. Colton will take appointments.

Stuart
Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Yes, Colton is good too and do have very reasonable rates. I had a billing issues once with them pertaining to some transmission work years ago but they do have a very good reputation overall.

Colton Truck Terminal - Motorhomes
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I am in the Colton Truck Terminal camp. Excellent service and they don't have you drop the coach off and come back later. They work on it when it gets there
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in he forum with us.

Sorry, but being on the east coast I can't help, but I wanted to welcome you.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #12

I too recommend Redlands Truck and RV. In AZ I use Freightliner of Arizona: Tolleson 9899 W. Roosevelt Street, Tolleson, Arizona 85353, Toll-Free: (866) 570-1474, Or (623) 907-9900 Kurt is the service director for motor homes
Old 01-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #13

Recommendations for Service

Thank you, thank you, I can always count on my RV brethren for helpful info. I am probably going to start with Colton Truck Terminal Garage based on the follow-on research I have done. However, you have provided be with several good options that all merit consideration, it is always good to have options. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
sundance1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service