Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Recommended Services - Class A Gas

Good Day; Question:

So we've owned our RV - (Entegra Vision Class A Gas) for a year now, and we've changed the Engine oil and filter and the Generator oil and filter.

Dealer gave me a pamphlet of recommended services - listed below. My question is do I really need to do all these things now?

Transmission Service - 5000 miles ( I actually have twice that ). $399.00
Slide out maintenance - every 6 months ( haven't done that yet ). $49.95
LP Leak Check - every 6 months ( not done yet ). $74.95
LP Appliance Systems Service - every 12 months. $199.95
Roof AC System Systems Service - every 12 months. $129.95 per unit, so x 2.

Missed anything?

Thanks for your thoughts..

Paul
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #2

Dealer is looking for work at your expense. Your Ford F53 Chassis owners manual and your MH owners manual will have lists of recommended maintenance and periods for those maintenance actions. I would follow those.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcruiser View Post
Good Day; Question:

So we've owned our RV - (Entegra Vision Class A Gas) for a year now, and we've changed the Engine oil and filter and the Generator oil and filter.

Dealer gave me a pamphlet of recommended services - listed below. My question is do I really need to do all these things now?

Missed anything?

Thanks for your thoughts..

Paul
Sounds to me like your dealer is trying to make some $$$$ off you...

Transmission Service- As far as chassis services (engine, trans, differential, brakes, etc) look up your year/make of the gas chassis and follow the manufacturers recommendations... Not too many transmissions these days need to be checked at 5000 miles...

Slide out maintenance- again, look up the slide manufacturer online and see what they recommend. Then find out exactly what the dealer is going to do for their "service"... if it's not what the manufacturer recommends, it's probably fluff..

LP Leak check- You can buy a gas leak detector on Amazon from $35 to $150. Read the instructions, then walk around your RV checking gas lines, particularly at connections... Then pay yourself $75..

Guess what I am going to suggest for the remaining two items...?? Yep, look up the make/model online and see what the manufacturer recommends...

You may also see if there is a Mobile RV guy in your area with good reviews... They can be more convenient and often cheaper than some dealers (much less overhead)...

With all my vehicles/systems, I find that even the authorized dealers frequently add their own "items" to the various maintenance lists....

When I took my first Harley in for it's break-in service (back in 1978) the dealer added several items to the 500 mile break-in service that weren't required by Harley until later service visits... When I called them on it, they said, "We feel it's best to do that at all service visits"..... Yeah, I'm sure they do, $$$$$... They weren't thrilled when I pointed to the 500 mile break-in service in my owner's manual and said, "Just do this....." That cut their break-in service estimate almost in half...

Since then, I always do some research and then I go into any service appointment and tell them what I want done. My list is almost always a mirror copy of what the manufacturer recommends...... and very often less than the dealer "suggest"....

Good luck with the RV.....
Old 11-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #4

Good points mentioned by others. I will say you should inspect your roof every 12 months and change your brake fluid every other year, especially if you do much mountain travel. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (readily absorbs water) and water is not something you want in your brake fluid on a vehicle this big.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO don't have your RV dealer do any work on the chassis, or vice versa.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks guys for the info, all makes sense .. Paul
Old 11-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
IMO don't have your RV dealer do any work on the chassis, or vice versa.

Excellent advice.

Your Ford chassis can easily be serviced by any place that works on Ford F550 trucks. Same engine, transmission, etc.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Excellent advice.

Your Ford chassis can easily be serviced by any place that works on Ford F550 trucks. Same engine, transmission, etc.
Good luck with that one, many will tell you that a motorhome will not fit in their service bay. Your best bet is to find an independent truck facility or mobile mechanic.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcruiser View Post
At your 10K mileage (or beyond), the dealer is going to test drive it, visually check for leaks and then check the fluid level to be correct. That's it if they are honest... otherwise they will want to do a fluid & filter drain and fill for even more money. A full fluid exchange is the correct way to do it but they probably won't have the proper machine for that.

This involves one of the newer trainee techs spraying lube all over the place. They may even wipe off the overspray if you are lucky.

Same trainee tech may or may not crawl under the there and sniff around while doing a visual check.

Now the trainee will go around and turn everything on and off. They won't be able to figure out some things and this is when you will see a second trainee tech appear. If they have to call over an actual tech then you know that you are really getting your moneys worth.

Ok, this one usually involves an actual experienced tech. The reason? They are going to run the AC unit(s) for a bit and the tech is the only one who has a vent thermometer in their toolbox. Of course they do not trust their tools with the newer trainees so they will check it out themselves. If it's a hot summer day, expect a second tech, a trainee or 2 and maybe even a service writer to join the party. You keep soft drinks in your fridge?
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:56 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
77Travco - excellent response. Won't be going to the dealer!!
Thanks Paul
Old 11-19-2021, 09:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Good luck with that one, many will tell you that a motorhome will not fit in their service bay. Your best bet is to find an independent truck facility or mobile mechanic.
This is true in some cases. I have found a Ford Truck dealer (as Wolfe10 recommended) about 60 miles from me who can and will do anything needed or wanted to my chassis. They are fairly easy to get in for an appointment and do what they say and when they say they will do it. This is rare and very nice. There are a good many Ford Truck dealers who will not work on motorhomes though, as I have been turned down by others that I have called. My local Ford automobile dealer will perform some minor service/repairs but they can't get it in a bay with a lift.
I also have found and worked with an independent truck facility that is about five miles from home, and they can and will do most of the work on my chassis, but they do not like to work on it. Their specialty is big semi trucks and my motorhome is not their favorite item to work on; however if I am in a bind they can and will fix it.
I wish I could find a mobile chassis and RV to work on it, but I can't get them to work on it, or at least not in a timely basis.
The actual Ford Truck dealer mentioned above is the best thing that has happened to me since I discovered ice cream.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, service