Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Recondition my refrigerator

I am considering converting my Dometic frig to a
HVAC unit from JC refrigeration. Anyone out there done this and how do you like it. Pros and cons Thanks Bob
frobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe you mean an HVAC unit, since that has to do with home or building heating & A/C. Are you referring to an Amish refrigeration unit? Many people have had success with those.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:02 PM   #3

Sorry convert to residential cooling unit it is the Amish unit
frobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There are lots of threads about swapping to Amish cooling units. Here are a few... https://www.google.com/search?q=amis...earch=irv2.com

Hopefully someone who has done the swap will see your post.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #5

Here is a link to 80 previous threads and from a short look, they look positive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22j...earch=irv2.com
Old 07-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my Norcold 1200 unit with the Amish unit in 2012 and ended up getting rid of it a year later. JC told me that absorption technology really works best when there is a 40+ degree or less differential with ambient temperature. Well built but didn't work for me. I would never have an RV now without a residential fridge with what I have learned the hard way. Good luck and talk with others who have converted - hope it works for you.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #7

JC Refrigeration has a compressor retrofit too.

http://jc-refrigeration.com/wp-conte...Unit_front.png
DodgersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw that recently. They have a version for my NoCold 1200 too. I've thought I might try that if the NoCold gives any more problems. Right now though its working well. Last weekend, I was getting 3-5 deg freezer and 32-34 fridge on a setting of 6 using AC in 90 deg ambients. Its the best its ever done. Of course I have replaced the burner, the heater elements, the cooling fans on the rear, added a fan inside, and completely resealed the exterior joints of the unit. I also wired the rear fans to run all the time.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:18 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure what you are asking..

I replaced my Dometic with a Residential last spring.. I also added a inveter to power it when not connected to shore power and when driving.. I did a short article on my web site:

Residential Frig Replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Not sure what you are asking..

I replaced my Dometic with a Residential last spring.. I also added a inveter to power it when not connected to shore power and when driving.. I did a short article on my web site:

Residential Frig Replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S

I read His article a few times a few weeks ago- My Dometic was asking for another cooling unit and I said No-Way. I pulled it out and took careful measurements and I purchased a Haier 10.1 Cu Ft.
Best decision I made!
I was lucky as the A/C receptacle in my compartment worked from my Inverter.
On start up it draws 8 amps and runs on 6 amps. Took my first trip last week to a Race in Joliet Il --90 deg heat- worked absolutely perfect - Freezer -16-- Fridge maintained- 34 deg set on medium.
Residential Fridge -- the only way to go !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haier.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	211135  
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think it would depend on how much boondocking you plan to do.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The compressor option wasn't avail at the time I had Jc refridgeration upgrade my cooling unit last year. The gas unit I had put in works much better than the original getting 0 and 33 degrees even in hot weather. And works well for boon docking situations .the Dutch Aire brand that JC makes installs and sells was the best of the crop of "Amish." ( there are many some not so great) Conversions I found in my opinion both before and now a year later.
The question I would have and you should have is can the "new" compressor conversion of your gas unit do better? Residential compressor Refridgerator can achieve -10 in the freezer. ( hard ice cream) the gas?..... 0 only! It isn't enough to get to -10 or lower . It works well but not that "well"
I have yet to see a report from someone having this new conversion of the original box to a "electric compressor" model give temperatures attained with the conversion
Everyone knows a residential will do well ! I think what the op is wanting is real world info on this new unit that keeps the old gas elect box but converts it. No cabinet mods etc. can the Jc electric conversion beat the gas ?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
The compressor option wasn't avail at the time I had Jc refridgeration upgrade my cooling unit last year. The gas unit I had put in works much better than the original getting 0 and 33 degrees even in hot weather. And works well for boon docking situations .
The question I would have and you should have is can the "new" compressor conversion of your gas unit do better? Residential compressor Refridgerator can achieve -10 in the freezer. ( hard ice cream) the gas 0 only isn't enough to do that. It works well but not that "well"
I have yet to see a report from someone having this new conversion of the original box to a "electric compressor" model give temperatures attained with the conversion
Everyone knows a residential will do well ! I think what the op is wanting is real world info on this new unit that keeps the old gas elect box but converts it. No cabinet mods etc. can the Jc electric conversion beat the gas ?
I've been hoping to see someone post a first hand review of the new compressor conversion.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator