Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #1

Smile Refrigerator

We are getting ready to take our first trip. We are not sure on how to keep the fridge cold while traveling. Do we use the LP gas or the generator?
jjb4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb4100 View Post
We are getting ready to take our first trip. We are not sure on how to keep the fridge cold while traveling. Do we use the LP gas or the generator?
Either one will do. Have a great time and just remember to turn it off when fueling at gas stations and also remember to turn it back on when you leave the station.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Use the propane, unless you have the generator on for something else - in which case it should automatically switch over to the 120 volt supplied by the genny.
Kbiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

X2 I travel with mine on LP
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The refer was made to be used underway. That is why it has the air baffels around the burner. 98% of the people use propane underway.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
You should be able to run it off your inverter, we do.
You will have to be careful not to use to many other devices
that draw from your engine's alternator thru the battery/inverter.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most coaches have propane tanks that are outfitted with an internal valve that will shut down the flow if too much gas is flowing too fast as would happen in the case of a broken gas line. Thus the risk of a ruptured line flaring in the case of an accident is very low. In a trailer the issues are different because no one is in the trailer to see that there has been a failure while under way.

We always run with propane turned on for the refrigerator and for the furnace when traveling in freezing weather to prevent water system and DW from freezing. We shut off all appliances with igniters when fueling, that is water heater (off while moving in any event, why waste propane) furnace and refrigerator. I do not bother shutting off the tank valve as it is the spark from an igniter that is most likely to cause a problem and no propane will be flowing if all the appliances are off.

Do you turn off your cell phone while fueling?
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are not running the generator, run it on propane. Main thing is to keep the beer cold and the ice cream frozen.

But don't run the generator just to run the frig on electric.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #9

I've been RVing in one unit or another for 30 years and have always traveled with the refer on propane. So far I haven't started a fire or been killed, and I agree with TViceman, gotta keep the brewskis cold. Enjoy.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
I travel with mine on LP. Fridge switches automatically to LP when I pull shore power or turn off generator. Explosions at diesel pumps highly unlikely. Gas or LP fill-ups turn off everything with a sparker including the Aqua-hot if set on diesel burner in cold weather. Gerrit
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you are not running the generator, run it on propane. Main thing is to keep the beer cold and the ice cream frozen.

But don't run the generator just to run the frig on electric.

Ken
Once again I have to agree with Ken's wisdom. The friges that run on both electric and propane will keep the beer cold but very few of them will keep ice cream frozen. My rig is not wired to run the refrigerator off the inverter so that's not an option for me. The ice maker will run off the inverter. We just put it on auto and it runs on electric when we're on shore power or the genny and automatically switches to propane while underway and not using the generator.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator