Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Refrigerator just died!!

We are full timers and today was D-Day for our fridge! It's a Norcold 1200LRIM and the motorhome is a 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador that we love and are keeping. Considering replacing cooling unit with a new Norcold. Recommendations??
tlgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #2

JC Refrigeration. Replace just your cooling unit
Edhildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edhildy View Post
x 2.
Would even suggest that you look into going to the 12v or 120v compressor(residential) conversions that they have developed..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgood View Post
We are full timers and today was D-Day for our fridge! It's a Norcold 1200LRIM and the motorhome is a 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador that we love and are keeping. Considering replacing cooling unit with a new Norcold. Recommendations??
Have you tried "resetting" it? https://www.hunker.com/12530013/how-...rcold-1200lrim
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #5

Norcold refer

There is a 2008 model for sale in the classified ads of this forum.

$300.

Located in New Orleans.
oldretiredafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #6

Get on the web and find the Norcold repair tutorials. Our 1200LMIR just died and I was able to trace the problem to the Recall box; specifically the temperature pickup (little brown wire going to the box).

On mine, the red light was blinking twice/second. Power to refer was cut off.

Replacement recall box with a new sensor wire and refer is good as new, for less than $100.

If Old Bisquit chimes into this thread, he's a master at figuring things out with refrigeration.

Hint, if the recall box is the problem, and if you're desperate to save food in the refer, you can jump the red wire that's going into the recall box over to the spade where the blue wire connects to the board. That by-passes the recall box, which is supposed to prevent overheating and a fire...so do this with caution and as a last resort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	259823   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	259824  

Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #7

The "Recall Module" on my Norcold has gone bad twice and caused the refrigerator to stop working. I would check to see if there is any DC power to the control board.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Commercial Member

i also have the 1200 rm no cold refrigerator. i replaced my cooling unit with a pine cooling unit, and a dinosaur control module. i would have uses a dinosaur eyebrow board but they dont make them. i removed all the shut off devices added by norcold.
added a couple of 4 inch computer fans at the top. my refrig now works in 120 degree outside weather, which is normal for phoenix and las. vegas in the summer.
ice cream stays frozen. its my one bad vice.maybe just the first one.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum61 View Post
The "Recall Module" on my Norcold has gone bad twice and caused the refrigerator to stop working. I would check to see if there is any DC power to the control board.
Place black lead from volt meter onto a Ground, and place the Red lead onto the spade where the blue wire is on the board or the module; that is where current is supposed to come OUT of the safety module.

Make sure you have turned power to the refer back ON, and set the meter to 20V DC.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would replace the cooling unit with one of the compressor-type from JC Refrigeration. All the advantages of a residential unit without the hassle of changing it out!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #11

The refrigerator is still trying to work and temp is slowly creeping up. We smell ammonia so a leak is the problem.

Saw the response on JC products and have a call in to them. My local repair dealer said he will not install any aftermarket and wants to use a new Norcold unit. Thoughts? Cost with him is about 2100 all in for re-install of a new Norcold cooling unit.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum61 View Post
Would this cause the ammonia smell?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgood View Post
The refrigerator is still trying to work and temp is slowly creeping up. We smell ammonia so a leak is the problem.

Saw the response on JC products and have a call in to them. My local repair dealer said he will not install any aftermarket and wants to use a new Norcold unit. Thoughts? Cost with him is about 2100 all in for re-install of a new Norcold cooling unit.

I wold not take that advice. If you can't locate someone local to do the Amish cooling unit install then are you less than a 2 day drive to JC Refig in Shipshawana, IN? They can do the install by the end of the day if you get there about 8 am. Call for an appt. Cost was about $1,500.
We did this and were very pleased with the results. Got the helium filled unit. Suggest you turn off the Norcold and buy a good cooler & dry ice for the interim.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just Today, had JC Refrigeration unit installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edhildy View Post
This am 9/10/19 had JC Refrigeration 120 V unit installed. Two hours after unit install, freezer was already at 29 and fridge at 46 @ ambient temp was 78.

So far its working well, will be doing and update after a week.
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator