Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used screens in the past and was not I pressed. I found it was not that hard to check them and clean them regularly. Air flow makes a big difference. We used to have mud robber problems but now we have stinkbugs. This spring was a shock at how many nested in all the units. And no screen will keep them out.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
Our Dometic is not in a slide out & I did put screens over the vents. However I have two pancake high velocity style fans blowing uupwards behind the fridge. Seems to work just like it should.
Dometic, Norcold and Fantastic Fan say to mount fans so they push the air out, not pull the air in. Their testing says it's more efficient that way. So the fans should be mounted near the outlet, not the inlet. On our DSDP there is also a baffle mounted about mid refer to channel the air over the coils. I also have a second 12 V ball bearing pancake PC case fan to mount. Already have one and the Amish cooling unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If thats the biggest mistake you make you will be far ahead of many of us here.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #18

Screens on Heater & Water Heater?

I have read a lot of posts about screens causing problems with the frig and I understand that it is recommended not to use for performance reasons. What about using them on the other outside vents like on the "heater" and "water heater". Has anyone experienced any performance or other problems with screens installed on these two items?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #19

Were these screens the stainless steel store bought kind or self made? I have the store bought now and wondering if I need to remove them.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds
I have read a lot of posts about screens causing problems with the frig and I understand that it is recommended not to use for performance reasons. What about using them on the other outside vents like on the "heater" and "water heater". Has anyone experienced any performance or other problems with screens installed on these two items?
No. Don't have them on my current RV, but had them on my last one and it didn't reduce performance at all.

Back on the refer vent, if you cover your RV when it's not is use, you will find that it practically eliminates issues associated with flying pests. Obviously does nothing for you if you're using it or if you're a full timer.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #21

I glued filter material on my inlet door to keep the dirt and dust plus the critters out. No problem. Just have to take off and hose out once in a while. If a grill screws it up , I'd think it would be some other problem. Like not vented right from the factory.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Were these screens the stainless steel store bought kind or self made? I have the store bought now and wondering if I need to remove them.
I used plain off the shelf Lowes variety.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ours, slide mounted, came with very coarse stainless screens mounted over the top and bottom vents.
It works very well.

The screening is much coarser than window screen material.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The opening on the residential screening is much too close and restricts too much air flow. Look at the SS screens that are sold to cover the heater openings and get something such as this.

I had coarser screen on our previous mh and it worked fine.

burfurd
Old 07-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I used SS vents purchased everywhere. I will only use them now when in storage. RV still at dealership monitoring until Monday. They wanted to assure the new vent fan and removal of the screen improves the performance based on electronic data from the previous tests.
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
We don't have a slide mounted frige but have used the commercial coarse SS screens for 12 years with no problems. Household screen is too fine.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #27

I did this with ordinary house screen wire on our TT (now sold) and recently on our current coach. Don't know if I created a problem and don't even know how to find out if I did. Guess I'll have to check it out. How do you know if the fridge is running too hot? Does it not keep contents cold enough?
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #28

You guys are using a term that I am not familiar with. What is SS screen? Does it prevent mud daubers & wasps from getting in? If so, I would like to know more. Thanks
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator