Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

Refrigerator question

I have a 2005 Itasca Horizon. For various reasons, one of which includes not being able to find a door hinge for the Norcold, I am looking into options about replacing the whole refrigerator.

I truly think I would prefer a residential model, but I have no idea where to start on finding the right one. I am also not sure how long I will be keeping this motor home so I don't want to break the bank.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or experiences you have.

Thank you!
Sewasmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I did a quick search and found norcold hinges on ebay

norcold hinge | eBay
Old 04-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I did a quick search and found norcold hinges on ebay

norcold hinge | eBay
That's lots cheaper than a refrigerator replacement!

Easier, too.

Take care, Stu
Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

There are many posts on residential fridge installs.
Posting your existing fridge's model number and even a picture of it's location , showing the cabinets around it, along with measurements will get you a bunch of ideas. I've been involved with three change overs myself 2 / 2 door and one 4 door replacement.

Info on posting pictures is in the " FAQ " drop box in the blue bar , under your welcome message.

Edit : If a two door apartment style will fit they run , $400 on sale , larger french door counter depth about $1200.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

look at my post we just replaced ours in our 2002 Journey.

I wrote very detailed instructions on our install and included some pictures.
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The "right" residential fridge depends on the size of the cabinet you now have and the floor plan. You must be very careful to get a fridge size & type that will allow the doors or drawers to open fully. Many RV layouts have a cabinet or something opposite the fridge and a typical top or bottom freezer model needs a lot of room for the door to swing. All the fridge makers provide detailed measurements for each model, e.g. cabinet depth, door swing. depth with door full open, etc, so Measure, Measure, Measure.

Or buy some new hinges and keep the old one. They are readily available for most Norcold models. Ebay, Amazon, etc. are good sources. Or this place: Norcold Parts Store | Norcold RV Refrigerators and Replacement Parts For Sale
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Another measurement you need to check is that of the proposed refrig. How will you get it into the coach...front door...window...front windshield?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I did a replacement on our current coach, had to go through the windshield, it broke during the process so more time and expense... If the refrigerator works and you can get hinges...do So!
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator