Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2023, 09:55 AM   #29
NXR

This is the first of three videos on replacing a Norcold 1200 with a Samsung RF18.

Note that several people have said they cannot get service, warranty or otherwise, performed on a residential refrigerator installed in an RV. Samsung's warranty doc excludes "applications and uses for which this product was not intended;" and refers to "in-house" installations as the intended use.

An article on possible warranty considerations, which may or may not be a concern of yours: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-refriger...idential-unit/

Ray

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2023, 01:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Note that several people have said they cannot get service, warranty or otherwise, performed on a residential refrigerator installed in an RV. Samsung's warranty doc excludes "applications and uses for which this product was not intended;" and refers to "in-house" installations as the intended use.

When we first got our residential Frigidaire installed in the coach, it needed warranty work. The service technician first said he could not work on it. I laid the warrantee paperwork on the table and pointed out it did not forbid use in the motorhome and said "This is a home, it is heated, and coolled and has all the electrical and plumbing that a brick home has.". He made a call to someone and then told me I would have to "uninstall" the refrigerator from the cabinet. I told him to standby, and I simply rolled it out and said "is this good enough?" (I had previously unbolted it from the floor).

After 8 service calls replacing everything except for the light bulb, I was finally refunded my money so I could buy another refrigerator.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:11 AM   #31

Have you considered the conversion units for your existing refrigerator. You remove the cooling unit on the back and it gets replaced with a 12v or 1110v compressor cooling unit.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
I am going to go the other route for you. Two years ago I needed to make the same decision as you are now. The residential frigs. all sounded nice, my problem was that workworking is not my best trait. I soon realized that after cutting and modifying the opening for the frig it jus would not look like it belonged.

So I went the JC Refrigeration for the answer. https://jc-refrigeration.com/ I was able to remove all of the old cooling stuff from the Norcold and replace with a 110v compressor cooling unit. Its a very easy job and great customer service from the JC folks. Since installing the 110unit its just like a residential one but I did not have to do the woodwork to make it look good.
Agreed. JC Refrigeration are great folks and great products/solutions. It's a Amish company. Make a trip out it. Great area to explore too.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:29 AM   #33

The Samsung RF 18 is a perfect choice.
I recommend RV Fridge straps to keep the doors closed.
I have a pair that cost $9 and work perfectly.
I would post a link to my YouTube Video review of “RV Fridge Straps” but, the moderators here have threatened to expel me if I post a YouTube link. Just go to YouTube and search for my review.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:43 AM   #34

Samsung appliances are junk. People install them in an rv as they fit well. But thete are lots of other choices. There are websites where you can compare using dimensions. Mid to high price units do not come from the factory with Samsung
I have seen Whirlpool Jenn air and others. There are also RV repair shops that will do the whole Install Reusing a Notcold is a waste of $$. The doors often fall off and the fridge gasket does not seal. That seal cannot be bought unless ypu buy the doors. There is documentation all over the internet on installing a residential fridge. Go to any forum specific to your brand of
MH
Posting in this generic forum does not bring you info for your application.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 07:00 AM   #35

We have many Samsung appliances and TV's in our home. They have always done well for us.

I would guess RV manufactures use whatever appliances come in the most economical when they ask for bids to supply them.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #36

There are many good refrigerator door locks either for sale or DIY (Do It Your self) types. I have been using QDOS in the stainless steel finish and they blend in nicely. Easy to install and they work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrigerator Door Lock 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	385191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrigerator Door Lock 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	385192  

Old 09-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #37

We spent 10 weeks in Florida last winter and the frig worked flawlessly. Also cooled down quickly (within a couple of hours) for initial loading. We added an extra voltage output to monitor it just for curiosity and it was very stable. It also fit through our entrance door after we removed the door. We have been very happy with it. Shop around for the best price too - I ended up finding one for about $3800. Shipped right to my house.
7Springs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, replacement