Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2021, 11:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Refrigerator replacement suggestions

I have a 2013 Tiffin 38 Allegro Red. I want to replace my Absorption Dometic refrigerator (9 Cu F) with a Compressor fridge.

Ideally a 3 way (12V 12oV PROP) but a 2 way (12V and 120V) would work. (I think as I have AGM house batteries)

The new Dometic. DMC4101 & DMC4081 look good or the Norcold Polar NA8LX or some other ideas.

The absorption does not do well when it is over 90 degrees outside.

My windshield has cracked so as long as it is going to be removed this is a good time to address the fridge issue. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Richard
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2021, 02:46 AM   #2

It sounds like you have things a bit confused - there are no options for running a compressor fridge on propane.

There are two options for a compressor fridge:

1) Traditional residential fridge - These run strictly on 120v AC and must be plugged into a 120v outlet. This will run from the inverter on your rig and pull from the batteries. Be cautious in your math though - a fridge which only draws 2 amps @ 120v AC will pull 20 amps @ 12v DC, meaning that unless you have a decent battery bank it will quickly run out of juice.

2) A 12v DC compressor fridge - These are designed to run natively on 12v DC, and most will have a small built in converter to switch over to 120v AC when you are plugged in.

The big advantage to a residential is that you have lower cost and more options for larger sizes. Disadvantages are higher battery draw when you're not plugged, modification often necessary to install, and they are not designed for mobile use.

The 12v DC compressor fridge will use less electric from the batteries. They are also available is sizes which will replace most absorption fridges. Disadvantage are typically cost and smaller size than residential.

Both a residential fridge and a 12v DC compressor fridge will keep your freezer rock solid and your milk cold, but all fridges will struggle (and pull more electric power) when temps inside the rig climb to 90 degrees.

Another option is to get your rig to a place which specializes in absorption fridges like the shops the Amish run in Indiana. They can often tweak the install to improve performance of what you already have. Or, they can often replace the cooling unit of your existing fridge with a 12v DC compressor cooling unit for less than the cost of a new fridge.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:27 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We did what Richard suggested above. We went to Shipshewanna, IN and saw the folks at JC Refrigeration They took out the original cooling unit in our Norcold 1211, replaced it with their helium filled cooling unit, added extra external fans and an interior circulating fan.

The results have been fantastic. Our temp settings used to be 5-6 or higher and interior temps were over 40* inside refrig. Freezer was +10 or higher. Now with a 2 temp setting refrig compartment is 38-39, freezer 0-5. That was three years ago. You could not get DW to switch to anything else now.

I often feel the cooling tubes outside while the unit is working. Before they were uneven temps to the touch, now even and just warm. My point and shoot thermometer says temps are in low 100’s.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:09 PM   #4

Google JC Refrigeration, I used their 120V unit to replace the absorption unit in the back of my Dometic. What a difference in temperatures, retained my original box, no cabinet modifications and can run off inverter, generator or shore power. Concerns with inverter usage is unwarranted as doing an at home test I ran almost five days before inverter shut down due to low battery voltage. Very low amperage draw. Very pleased with the outcome.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer189 View Post
Google JC Refrigeration, I used their 120V unit to replace the absorption unit in the back of my Dometic. What a difference in temperatures, retained my original box, no cabinet modifications and can run off inverter, generator or shore power. Concerns with inverter usage is unwarranted as doing an at home test I ran almost five days before inverter shut down due to low battery voltage. Very low amperage draw. Very pleased with the outcome.
Did they send it to you to install or did you have to go to them?
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:52 AM   #6

They have DIY install videos for various fridges and cooling units. You also need the heat/cold transfer mastic caulk, foil tape and window and door insta-foam. Off the top of my head about $300 in labor to install, I would guess $100-150 to ship.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCruzer View Post
I got my replacement cooling unit from https://www.rvcoolingunit.com for $650 delivered. It came with everything needed to do the install other than the helper. There are multiple Amish outfits in Indiana making these cooling units, and this retailer sells from Pines RV Refrigeration. From the reviews I read they have had good success.

Once I got the fridge pulled from the cabinet, it took about one hour to take things apart and pull the old cooling unit. Take LOTS of photos and mark wires well.

Another hour or so to clean things up and get the carcass ready for the new cooling unit, and then about an hour or so to install the new one. We did a test fit dry first to make sure there were no problems, and then applied the foam and did the install of the new cooling unit.

While things were apart we also installed a new control board from Dinosaur Boards. Our fridge is from 1994, so I figured it was worth the extra $150 to eliminate any problems moving forward. Much easier to do the board swap while things were out and taken apart.

For anyone handy with basic tools this project is possible. You will need a helper (or two) to pull the fridge and swap the cooling unit. My fridge was pretty well caulked into the hole, so it took a bit of time to cut it free.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCruzer View Post
I had them ship it to me, cost of unit was about $730 including shipping. Total time on the installation was two days, most of the time spent was preparing the fridge to accept the new cooling unit. I'm anal about perfection so I didn't rush through this endeavor. Entire transformation was done in coach, you may need an additional set of arms to assist with removing fridge and reinstalling in the wall. Follow the installation instructions to the letter but if you run into issues the folks at JC Refrigeration are helpful. The results were better than I expected, at least now the Queen's ice cream is hard.

Tags
ace, refrigerator, replace, replacement