Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Registering In Cali from Out of State?

Asking for insight on this one. Live in California and are exploring a class A out of state purchase. Are there any issues around registering in California?
Pacific32MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 09:02 AM   #2

No issues I have experienced. Take the signed off title and registration showing what you paid for it and go to the CA DMV or AAA office, if you are a member.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Awesome thank you
Pacific32MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

I know there were restrictions on cars. If late model, they could not be just 50 state emissions but had to be CA approved. If its a gasser, it will have to pass smog. I would research deeper
Old 05-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #5

Please see this link for specific requirements: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/h...vehicle-htvr9/
Old 05-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Please see this link for specific requirements: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/h...vehicle-htvr9/
I knew it because I have been down that road.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:15 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I purchased my 5th wheel from an out of state dealer. Went to AAA to start the registration process and was told AAA could only do VIN verifications on out of state private party transactions, not out of state dealer transactions (DMV rules/requirements). AAA started the paperwork process and scheduled an appointment for me at a nearby DMV. I called DMV prior to appointment to inquire about "oversize vehicle" parking, and was assured that I could park my truck and 5th wheel. I arrived early and found no oversize parking. I parked in the far corner of thier lo, went inside an got in the appointment line. 20 minutes later, they got on the PA and said they would ticket and tow the vehicle if it was not moved. I explained what I was there for, and was told to move the vehicle. Nearest parking was 1.5 miles away. I moved the truck and trailer and got back in line, then was told I had to have the vehicle there for VIN verification. Went back to the truck and trailer, moved it back to DMV, and parked in the "VIN verification" lane. Went back inside to have the DMV "inspector" come out to verify the VIN. They were upset about my parking in the VIN lane. The inspector came out, and had no idea where to find the VIN. I told her it was on the front left frame rail. She said she couldn't bend down to see it, so I took a picture with my phone and showed it to her. Had to move the vehicle again. Back inside the DMV, they wanted about $2,500 for taxes and transfer fees. They had some questions on the paperwork, so I called the out of state dealer. DMV gave me back the paperwork I had provided them, along with the check for the amount they had requested, and asked for all thier paperwork back, then told me I had to go to another DMV 15 miles away. I kept the VIN verification for that they had filled out. I arrived at the second DMV 30 minutes before closing. Got to the counter, and 2 DMV employees were trying to do my transfer/registration. They were struggling with something, so I asked what the problem was. They said I had overpaid 25 cents on the fees. I asked why the first DMV wanted $2,500, and they wanted to give me back .25 cents. They couldn't answer. I told them to keep the quarter and donate it to thier Christmas party, just give me my paperwork and tags. Don't you just love the efficiency of State Government ?!?!
My suggestion, if your a AAA member, go to them and ask what you will need. In my experience, AAA has always been better able to deal with DMV issues than the DMV itself
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #8

Look for a small California city on your route that has a DMV. I did that and it was much quicker than it would have been than if I'd waited until I got home.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #9

Also, be prepared to pay the California "users fee" for out of state registration in Ca for a purchase that equates to the current sales tax rate for your area.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPCPL View Post
I purchased my 5th wheel from an out of state dealer. Went to AAA to start the registration process and was told AAA could only do VIN verifications on out of state private party transactions, not out of state dealer transactions (DMV rules/requirements). AAA started the paperwork process and scheduled an appointment for me at a nearby DMV. I called DMV prior to appointment to inquire about "oversize vehicle" parking, and was assured that I could park my truck and 5th wheel. I arrived early and found no oversize parking. I parked in the far corner of thier lo, went inside an got in the appointment line. 20 minutes later, they got on the PA and said they would ticket and tow the vehicle if it was not moved. I explained what I was there for, and was told to move the vehicle. Nearest parking was 1.5 miles away. I moved the truck and trailer and got back in line, then was told I had to have the vehicle there for VIN verification. Went back to the truck and trailer, moved it back to DMV, and parked in the "VIN verification" lane. Went back inside to have the DMV "inspector" come out to verify the VIN. They were upset about my parking in the VIN lane. The inspector came out, and had no idea where to find the VIN. I told her it was on the front left frame rail. She said she couldn't bend down to see it, so I took a picture with my phone and showed it to her. Had to move the vehicle again. Back inside the DMV, they wanted about $2,500 for taxes and transfer fees. They had some questions on the paperwork, so I called the out of state dealer. DMV gave me back the paperwork I had provided them, along with the check for the amount they had requested, and asked for all thier paperwork back, then told me I had to go to another DMV 15 miles away. I kept the VIN verification for that they had filled out. I arrived at the second DMV 30 minutes before closing. Got to the counter, and 2 DMV employees were trying to do my transfer/registration. They were struggling with something, so I asked what the problem was. They said I had overpaid 25 cents on the fees. I asked why the first DMV wanted $2,500, and they wanted to give me back .25 cents. They couldn't answer. I told them to keep the quarter and donate it to thier Christmas party, just give me my paperwork and tags. Don't you just love the efficiency of State Government ?!?!
My suggestion, if your a AAA member, go to them and ask what you will need. In my experience, AAA has always been better able to deal with DMV issues than the DMV itself
Two things, AAA was always able to do the VIN verifications themselves. So not sure why they did not do it, unless that particular office did not do it.
Secondly, if you spent about $75, you could have had an independent VIN verification company come to you. They are out there just google them next time. This would have saved you that headache.
I personally would have done a dry run with no 5th attached to see how the parking lot was during business hours.
I rarely went to the DMV and I have bought over 40 cars and bikes while there. AAA was always able to handle my transfers.
I did have to go to the Highway patrol office to vin verify a custom bike as they wanted to see both engine and frame numbers.
Good Luck
Old 05-22-2022, 06:14 AM   #11

Buy a vacant lot in the city/state the rv is currently in so you can avoid registering in CA.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote