Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 AM   #1

Reliability:1-piece vs. 2-piece windshields

All else being equal, which is more reliable, a one-piece or two-piece windshield?

By "reliable" I am referring to how prone they are to leaking, and how prone they are to popping out or breaking. Not in theory, but in real-world practice.

Experiences?
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Have had both prefer the 1 piece, both are prone to water leaks my Adventurer needed to have the supporting steel treated when I had the windshield replaced, my current coach a Tour was leaking bad from the top of the windshield, repaired that with a product called Sica Flex that we put between the rubber and body of the coach
Old 09-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there is any significant difference based on one vs two pieces. Leakage, popping, etc. are a result of the quality of the front cap design and construction, not the number of windshield pieces
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

If you get a crack or bad chips and need to replace one might be 1/2 the price of the other.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
one might be 1/2 the price of the other.
Maybe, but probably not. The cost of the glass is driven more by the shape (complexity of molding it) than the size and the installation labor is pretty much the same.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't remember seeing any two piece windshields on any recent offerings from any manufacturer, can anyone else? I would tend to think that a one piece windshield would be more prone to popping out but again just my thoughts no real world experience. I have a one piece now in our bounder and other than a small area of the lip sticking up a bit I have had no problems. Although the windshield wasn't leaking i thought it a good idea to have the dealer fix the lip so it wouldn't cause any problems going forward.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't seen two piece windshields on new coaches, or recent coaches. Mine is a one piece, cracked it last summer. Neither my wife, who had the coach out at the time, or the replacement installer could figure out what caused it. The rig went up on the jacks the way it always does and the installer couldn't find any frame contact. The one thing we do know is that it wasn't a rock. Just one of those things I guess.
Replacement cost; $3000.00Cdn. Thankfully my insurance picked up $2000.00 of that.
Not sure how much of a difference it would have made had it of been a 2 piece windscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
I haven't seen two piece windshields on new coaches, or recent coaches. Mine is a one piece, cracked it last summer. Neither my wife, who had the coach out at the time, or the replacement installer could figure out what caused it. The rig went up on the jacks the way it always does and the installer couldn't find any frame contact. The one thing we do know is that it wasn't a rock. Just one of those things I guess.
Replacement cost; $3000.00Cdn. Thankfully my insurance picked up $2000.00 of that.
Not sure how much of a difference it would have made had it of been a 2 piece windscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Maybe, but probably not. The cost of the glass is driven more by the shape (complexity of molding it) than the size and the installation labor is pretty much the same.
Looks like way under 1/2 price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	73232  
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reliability:1-piece vs. 2-piece windshields

A few years ago the one-piece windshield on our QSDP "acquired" a stone chip from a passing vehicle during a trip. It was a clean single chip with no visible "starring" or cracks. Since we were on the road, I arranged for a mobile chip repair by a reputable national glass repair franchise with our insurer's approval, to avoid potential further damage. Unfortunately, as occasionally happens, during the chip repair the windshield developed a substantial 18" crack, much to the dismay of myself and the repairer! Due to our schedule, we decided to have the windshield replaced after we retuned home. (BTW, very much to their credit, the franchise offered and later reimbursed me for my insurance deductible.)
Once home, I approached several auto and truck glass replacement franchises. They were invariably unwilling, unable or not properly equipped to handle the weight and bulk of a one-piece windshield; but quite prepared to do so if I had a two-piece windshield. I finally had the windshield replaced at the Triple E RV factory only 1 1/2 hours away, and I'm glad I did. They knew exactly what they were doing, and did a fine job! Got a few other things attended to while I was there too!
Despite the foregoing, I love the one-piece windshield which provides a full unobstructed view of the world. Now I know what needs to be done if replacement is required in the future - and have a better appreciation of the potential risks of glass repair!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #10

We have a 2000 DSDP with a two piece windshield, and invariably about every 1 1/2 yrs. the upper corner of the passenger side will pop out a little. It's never leaked, but it's been a problem to find someone while on the road that will put it back in.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote