Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Remodel Wood Floor or Tile ?

I am getting ready to remodel coach and have a question of preference on wood floors or tile. Asking for pros and cons on Wood floors vs tile.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I recommend wood over tile based on less weight, warmer to the feet, easier to install, richer looking, wood always looks better than tile squares, less breakage, cheaper to buy and install, easier to keep clean, no grout to worry about getting dirty or discoloring, etc.

Have I covered everything?

Our coach came from the factory with wood laminate starting at the step well and continues all the way to the edge of the bedroom. There is carpet in the bedroom and under the roadside dinette and sofa only to accommodate the slide.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The biggest disadvantage to tile is the weight. If you have the correct cleaning material it's easy to clean and looks are individual tastes. We have friends with wood, they had a water problem that destroyed the floor...had to be replaced. With the proper equipment, wood is not warmer...our tile floor is heated.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have Pergo Laminate currently and am thinking seriously of putting down Allure vinyl floor. My Laminate floor is showing wear from the slide operation as well as some separation around the joints. I like the vinyl because it is very easy to clean and not subject to water damage. My only concern is the slide rollers might damage the vinyl. Any feedback from some allure owners would be appreciated.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #5

I would agree with Richard for all the reasons he recommends wood over tile. However, if I were doing a remodel, I would strongly consider a high-quality vinyl flooring. We've had both wood and vinyl flooring in RV's, and found the vinyl much easier to clean/maintain. And there is some really nice looking vinyl out there. However, to each his/her own.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tile stays cool and is easy to clean, but man is it heavy! Beware that you don't exceed what your MH can carry. If we were remodelling we'd definitely go for wood.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #7

wood'nt (sorry had to do it) you pick up road noise by removing carpet?
I keep nudging wood at my wife and she feels it wood (sorry again) be noisier than carpet.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wood

It looks like wood if the winner. Now what kind? Been looking at bambo or laminate floor.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wife is having area rugs made up to place over wood.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #10

We had tile, got tired of cracking tiles and losing grout. Replaced with Wilson Art engineered flooring ... looks and wears great.
wmdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Who is: Wilson Art engineered flooring ?

I thought stone tile was the most durable,, but yes, it is really heavy and you'll pay for it many times in fuel to haul it around.

Wood floors just don't hold up under heavy traffic. Carpet is just insane in an RV to keep clean. I don't know why they put light colored carpet in RVs.

We have a mixture of artificial tile down the middle and carpet along the edge where the slides are.

The man-made tiles (porcelain or marble in appearance) look the same today as they did brand new. They are lightweight, look very good and durable. I would get them thoughout the MH and get rid of any carpet.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #12

Did laminate in home less than four years ago, would not recommentd that. Had some wood flooring in last 5th wheel (2004) and not real fond of it. Both are just so dern sensitive to water, even damp mopping. I would vote for high-quality vinyl.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our present DSDP came with vinyl tile that is so real looking that it fooled friends that had ceramic tile in their DSDP.
I put real Pergo in the dinning room of our stick house. Would NOT recommend it for an RV either. I'll be replacing the Pergo with hardwood. The Pergo just isn't standing up to traffic.
In our 2000 DSDP had Wilsonart flooring, after three amateurish tries by the dealer to replace (once due to water damage from an overturned dog water dish) we paid extra to have ceramic tile installed. The tiles kept breaking and there was another one broken when we traded for our 2002.
The 12" square vinyl is so good that we're looking at removing the carpet in the living area and redoing it. Unfortunately the pattern we have in the 2002 is no longer made so we can't just add to it, it'll all have to come up, along with the carpet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
We had tile, got tired of cracking tiles and losing grout. Replaced with Wilson Art engineered flooring ... looks and wears great.
DON'T spill water on it that sits for a while. Our Wilsonart flooring was ruined when a dog dish overturned in the night, by morning it was swollen up and the finish coming off.
Even Pergo (which we have in the stick house) can be damaged by standing water. Cats overturned a watering can in the middle of the night that my wife had left. The "wood" around the joints has puffed up and won't go down. And, yes, I did use the Pergo "waterproof" glue to install it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel