Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I am also looking at the same problem with the drivers & psg seats. The fake leather or vinyl or whatever stuff it is is coming off in flakes like dry skin. BTW, the previous owners removed a couch and put in a small dresser like thing and a lazy boy recliner. Don't like the color of the chair (green) but it works.
Good luck and I will be watching this for answers also.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #16

Yeh, that so called 'UltraLeather' - actually polyurethane doesn't last very long and can't be refinished like leather. I'd have them recovered in real leather or cloth - check the yellow pages for an upholsterer.

Mike, have you thought about removing the couch and putting in an easy chair and ottoman? They don't need to be secured as long as you don't sit in them when traveling and it would give you plenty of room for the wife's stripper pole.

We did it and it's surprising how much you don't miss the uncomfortable couch.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks everyone.

We are now thinking we might just get some covers and external cushions for now. maybe reupholster at a later date.

thinking about some sort of cabinet to put our flat screen TV in with doors to mount to the slide. With a couple of non secured chairs opposite that can be pushed out of the way for pole use.

We are out of town this week for work so we wont get any work done other than research for the next few days.
Also going to order a Ready Brake tow bar and brake set up for our Grand Cherokee.

Mike
MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Yeh, that so called 'UltraLeather' - actually polyurethane doesn't last very long and can't be refinished like leather.

Interesting opinion on UltraLeather. Our is 18+ years old and still presents itself very well.

That includes use by a 50 lb dog over the past 11 years when he thinks we are not looking.

Just be sure to use the real UltraLeather with the trademark. Much more durable and more comfortable than leather in a vehicle.

And, yes I have 2 leather sofas and 3 leather chairs in our home and leather in my autos.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #19

I guess you either love it or hate it.

I have a pet peeve about the branding of something in a way that makes you believe it is better than it really is - it's not leather, it's not natural.
I found it hot and sticky in the heat and doesn't breathe

I would always use leather for seats - and use ultraleather for side panels, door panels etc where it doesn't matter.

It's interesting that it seems to be the norm for RVs and cars but if we were to buy a couch/chairs for the stick house we would all choose leather
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #20

Flexsteel can provide foam and custom seat coverings if you have the model number of the captain chairs. If you are lucky, check under the seat cushion. The original build spec sheet is usually tucked between a steel seat spring and the bottom of the cushion.
The folks at Flexsteel were very helpful when we redid our sofas and captain chairs. Very reasonable prices. Not too tuff to do the new coverings yourself if you are handy.
Good luck.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
Flexsteel can provide foam and custom seat coverings if you have the model number of the captain chairs. If you are lucky, check under the seat cushion. The original build spec sheet is usually tucked between a steel seat spring and the bottom of the cushion.
The folks at Flexsteel were very helpful when we redid our sofas and captain chairs. Very reasonable prices. Not too tuff to do the new coverings yourself if you are handy.
Good luck.
JB
Thanks I will check into it.

Also want to use something non slip, maybe rubber type mat for inside steps, and maybe driver and pax floorboard area.

Ordered tow bar/brake and wire harness for toad today.

Mike
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #22

Remodeling also

Mike:

I'm in the same situation as you. I bought a 1999 Newmar Dutch Star DP last month. It only had 22k miles, but the interior was dated. I researched locally and found a local guy who reupholstered our captains chairs, sofa and valances with automotive quality vinyl for under $1,000. He even preserved the Flexsteel logos. For the cabinet, try Home Depot or Lowes for in stock wall cabinets. They are 12" deep and come in enough sizes to fit most openings. You can top it with your choice of materials.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	39685
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post
We discovered that the Captian's chairs are worse than we first thought.
We are thinking we might need to replace them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
We completely remodeled our interior as well; we also replaced all of our furniture including the captains chair. We purchased everything from www.discounttruckvan.com . We ordered everything with ultraleather and despite what a previous poster said ours has held up great so far (three years). I have photos of our remodel posted in the photo section of this site if you wanted to see what our furniture looks like.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #24

X2 on Discountrvtruck.com. Remodeled our 2000 Diplomat and bought captain chairs and jackknife sofa from them.
racer478r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We finally installed furniture today. Complete remodel gallery and living room.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_203256.png
Views:	367
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	39694

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_203247.png
Views:	362
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	39693

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_203233.png
Views:	367
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	39692

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_203225.png
Views:	350
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	39691
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
We finally installed furniture today. Complete remodel gallery and living room.
Very nice, looks a lot like ours.
DW wants to know if your cabinets were originally wood? If so what did you paint them with?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
We want to use this in front for drivers/Pax area and steps.

http://www.floormatcompany.com/coin-...nners-p-5.aspx guessing I can glue it down.

Then Traffic Master Allure wood strips back to tile in kitchen.

We are afraid that if it gets wet going in and out the traffic master might get slippery.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #28

Triple E Owners Club
+1, cabinets look great. What kind of paint/prep? Did you also replace the countertops?
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote